• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

bababooey

Recent Profile Visitors

6,443 profile views
  1. Marvel Two in One #51 What if #3 Fantastic Four #176 No pics
  2. In this issue, Bullseye's finishing move was shooting the rope that suspended a knife inches above one of the hostages heads. Good times!
  3. Made me look, I remembered a scribble in the same corner of mine.
  4. If that's how it works, a fair to good AF15 missing a small piece of the cover along with vg copies of ASM 2 & 4.
  5. 1. (Right?) Click on any picture on the internet or any hosted site. 2. Choose open in new tab. 3. Copy url from new tab and paste in your post. 4. Let board software auto embed (do not click "display as link instead") When I click on any of the photobucket links posted in this thread all I did was copy the url and paste it.
  6. Are you clicking the "display as link instead" option? The url will auto embed if you don't do that.
  7. Not trying to derail your thread as redundant, just sharing an old "as it happened thread" - as I recall the hammer price surprised most back then.
  8. Maybe X-men but I think ASM was the best selling Marvel newsstand during those late 90's- early 2000's was probably Marvel's last best effort to maintain newsstand distribution after rebooting most of their major titles. Anecdotally ASM was the only title I could buy at both of the corner stores that carried comics. Never saw much X-men on the stands till the movie released.
  9. @valiantman I chartified your "57% returns method" for newsstand101.com and rare comics - benjynobel/solarcollector I've got other ASM number exercises like the ones I posted in the @GarBear newsstand discussion thread I linked earlier but can't really respond to other stuff when my ASM figures tell me NS editions were about 40% of sales late in the v2 Byrne run. If your methodology is to just find common ground to appease a critic like @Lazyboy and then expecting others to shape opinions based on arbitrary acceptable thresholds, have fun.
  10. Without pulling or working with the Diamond direct sales numbers from the statement of ownership figures, you're just "moving on or forward" to further misinformation, return percentages mean little if you can't reasonably estimate direct sales. Applying a 57% (?) return rate from 1999 and using it on data from 12 years later doesn't make any sense. I'd ask for an explanation but I still don't know if the '86 tipping point was production or sales. The Avengers title has some serious changes over 12 years - Liefeld Reborn to Busiek/Perez reboot to Geoff Johns to Bendis as well as being a core Civil War boosted companion book in 2007. For the record, ASM saw a doubling of direct sales with JMS/JRJR run over a short period of time - - - overall distribution was flat because newsstand sales declined sharply.. Whatever chart or easily understood graphic comes from the assumptions made in this thread is likely to be misunderstood and misinterpreted by others, I realize that discussions of supply here create demand in the marketplace. Attempting to align data from "production and distribution" to support the market availability calculations doesn't work in reality but it's worse if you aren't considering all factors available. In summary, I agree with some of the data and believe that late Marvel newsstands are very rare but it's meaningless without demand..
  11. SheHulk #1 came out the same month I discovered my first non-Toronto comic shop (Fiction House on Elmwood in Buffalo NY) so it was very early in the national direct sales program. I personally believe the abundance of surviving early directs from that era is partially due to the often touted "extra care taken by the serious LCS collectors" but I also believe the greater factor was the fact that unsold non-returnable inventory was cheap and usually money in the bank for these new business owners. If you over ordered 25 issues @$0.20 each of a comic it only cost $5.00, if there was a lot of demand, you could usually bag them up for $2.00 - $5.00 in a few months. So the "good" over ordering would result in a bagged sale at a higher aftermarket price, which would create a desire to take greater care of the book...but I'd bet a book like SheHulk #1 was a huge speculative miss for dealers with most inventory never seeing the light of day for many years. Either path leads to more surviving direct copies even back then. As for CGC labeling of newsstands, to the best of my knowledge, that is only on the label when there is a price difference.
  12. Hit me up when that Kidney Lady movie announcement happens....