• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOLY COW Yard sale find!!!!!

211 posts in this topic

It all happened back in the 3rd or 4th grade.....

Our school was having a " garage sale/flea market" in the gym. I got together with a friend of mine, and we put together a box of comics that we no longer wanted....and rented a table.

I can't remember what books we had decided to sell.....but I think we did all right .

During the sale, I was approached by two older kids who asked if we "had any other comics for sale". We arranged a meeting at my house, and started going through some books that I might be interested in selling.

Eventually they decided that they were interested in my IRON MAN COLLECTION . As we started going through the prices for each book, these kids started feeding me all kinds of [!@#%^&^] about " buying comics in lots ", and how " if we're buying 20 issues, the price should be broken down to a per comic basis.... 893blahblah.gif

I can't remember the exact issues that I had, nor the final price that we " AGREED " on.......but they practically STOLE my comics. mad.gif

Tell me......should I have known better ?

Get over it. You would have blown the money on pointless krap anyways regardless if you got a better deal! Wimp! flamed.gif

It all happened back in the 3rd or 4th grade.....

Our school was having a " garage sale/flea market" in the gym. I got together with a friend of mine, and we put together a box of comics that we no longer wanted....and rented a table.

I can't remember what books we had decided to sell.....but I think we did all right .

During the sale, I was approached by two older kids who asked if we "had any other comics for sale". We arranged a meeting at my house, and started going through some books that I might be interested in selling.

Eventually they decided that they were interested in my IRON MAN COLLECTION . As we started going through the prices for each book, these kids started feeding me all kinds of [!@#%^&^] about " buying comics in lots ", and how " if we're buying 20 issues, the price should be broken down to a per comic basis.... 893blahblah.gif

I can't remember the exact issues that I had, nor the final price that we " AGREED " on.......but they practically STOLE my comics. mad.gif

Tell me......should I have known better ?

Get over it. You would have blown the money on pointless krap anyways regardless if you got a better deal! Wimp! flamed.gif

No. I would still have my IRON MAN's.... cloud9.gif

During the sale, I was approached by two older kids who asked if we "had any other comics for sale". We arranged a meeting at my house

First mistake. Never let any scam artist through the door, or they'll either try and rip you off or rifle through your wallet while you're not looking.

See, I was kinda the opposite - I was the 4th or 5th grader who obtained (through a wide variety of trades, purchases, etc.) everyone else's comics. That's not to say I was deceiving younger kids - I don't remember ever doing that. But for instance when I was in 6th grade, we decided to create our own currency - this was the teacher's idea. It was redeemable for many things, including stuff the teacher would offer (front of the line for recess, 5 extra minutes on the playground, whatever). In turn, the teacher would 'pay' kids for various things - doing chores in the classroom, not misbehaving for an entire day, etc. etc.

Well, the other kids would spend their fake $ on just about anything, including candy that I and others would bring to school. I spent all my fake dollars on comic books... I musta 'bought' 500 of 'em during that school year. Naturally I'd lowball my offers, but generally I didn't care 'cause I knew the $ was ultimately going to be worthless.

I also did more than my share of comic book trading, and got some good deals along the way; I remember trading (Marvel) Sub-Mariner #1in about VF for Iron Man #1 in NM 9.2 (my grading estimate; still have that book). The other party was just as happy with the deal as I was...at the time. Neither of us knew that the Iron Man would end up being worth so much more.

The older kids you describe sound a bit more ruthless, but in some ways they were just being opportunistic -except that it's pretty easy for a 6th grader to bully a 3rd grader (physically or mentally) into doing things against his will or better judgement...

I've been reading this thread for a while.

I just have to say that if you purchase an item for a price that was affixed by the seller, whether or not it is too low, it's ethical (with exception to the mint Action #1 for cover price example, etc).