• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOLY COW Yard sale find!!!!!

211 posts in this topic

And here is a tip for you.

Here's another one: Next do something worth bragging about.

Thank you for your reply. It is appreciated.

Thank you for that response Pov...it was exhilarating.

Have any of you watched on TV the auction shows? They always show people paying a few bucks for some item that is actually worth hundreds. They always say they got a deal . Never once did I hear them say someone got ripped off . And this is on national television. It must be the American way. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I can't believe you're comparing mortgage scams to buying comics from a yard sale. Guys, get a grip.

It seems shivers had a lucky find and wanted to share the good news. Well done mate. Half the reason I collect is scouring around finding bargains. Thrill of the chase etc. Bare in mind the value of that comic is only to a collector, no one else and how many other collectors were going to come along that day. I see it as reward for collecting, studying and knowing what to buy.

congratulations Shiver.

OK i'll settle it. The proper move was to give the guy train tickets to the NY comic con, meet him at the door and then sell him back the comics he sold you at outrageous prices. If that didn't work you would have to steal his wallet and finish the transaction. Oh, oh. I gave you my tips when I sold at conventions.

And again, you still haven't answered my question. The buyer at Tysons who got $100 retail of comics from me for $10. The other buyer (reed-richards on eBay), who got $750 retail of stuff from me for $200. Hell, ME, when I bought the GI Joe Special 1 from Mike DeCarl at a show for $5 and sold it for $100 online.

You're wasting your breath, Dan, just like me trying to get him to answer the classic ethics question I posed to him twice. Vince just can't seem to get out of his "digital world" way of thinking. Too much Ayn Rand, perhaps? confused-smiley-013.gif

Alan

OK,

So let me ask this question. If you had come across an action #1 in a pile of magazines, would you inform the seller that this is a multi thousand dollar comic?

Look at Mile high, The reason this collection is in existence is solely because because it was scooped up from the sellers.

And they got exactly what they wanted out of the deal. No harm done, but a super collection to us now! which would have been thrown out if not bought.

893applaud-thumb.gif

Let me guess, you sell reverse mortgages to senile old ladies?

You know, Jow. Ever since reading your editorials something has been tapping me on the shoulder and I finally turned around and listened to it.

You seem to have a very distorted and negative perception of "elderly people". They are always senile, victims and/or easily taken advantage of. The "elderly" folks I have known are sharp, intelligent and interesting people with more experience than I have (although, at my age, only a generation or two more experience).

As far as the ethics go, in my opinion, if someone is willing to setup shop, so to speak, and ask a certain amount for a certain item, so be it. I don't usually do yard sales. I do go to flea markets and antique shops. My Detective #16 came from an antique shop. My 1st print Classics Illustrated #3 came from a flea market. I have no guilt about having paid $60 for the Detective and $12 for the Classics.

Well - got a sarcastic reply from Joe but not one to this genuine question regarding Joe always protraying "elderly" as some sort of diminshed and helpless class. frown.gif

Something else struck me as odd about JC's black & white view of the world. He has mentioned on more than one occasion how in his spare time he reads comics for nostalgia, but reads classic novels for enjoyment. However, what exactly is he getting out of these timeless works? One of the characteristics a story needs to possess in order to become “classic” is to illuminate some universal truth about mankind or the world. One would assume that him having read some archetypical tales would have cast some amount of enlightenment on his extremely shortsighted view. confused-smiley-013.gif

Alan

One would assume that him having read some archetypical tales would have cast some amount of enlightenment on his extremely shortsighted view.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

You tards sound like a friend of mine who deals in art. He scams regularly and laughs about it later, but if someone EVER takes him for a ride with dupes or fakes, watch the heavens unleash their fury.

Remember the old guy next time any of you get burned on EBay. I know I will.