• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOLY COW Yard sale find!!!!!

211 posts in this topic

it saddens me deeply to have to read through the previous 5+ pages all the while looking for a scan of the dern book. any chance of actually seeing it? or was this post some sort of crazy psychological study where a hypothetical situation was posted to see the reactions it garnered???

was this post some sort of crazy psychological study where a hypothetical situation was posted to see the reactions it garnered???

Per usual, there are definitely going to be some pavlovian reponses whenever someone shares their story of finding a good deal at a fleak market, garage sale, or estate sale. Here's the book:

254569-mmc%2381post.jpg

the book is structurally a super tight VG, no creases other than small corner creases, but the foxing is the main issue, and there are a few small holes in the back cover that don't add up to more than 1/2" sq. Spine is unsplit, and single staple is holding well.

the book is structurally a super tight VG, no creases other than small corner creases, but the foxing is the main issue, and there are a few small holes in the back cover that don't add up to more than 1/2" sq. Spine is unsplit, and single staple is holding well.

Dude, it was $4. If it has a cover, you got your money's worth! It's foxy for sure, almost as foxy as Foxy Brown in Austin Powers III.

NOT! How hot is Beyonce Knowles anyway? cloud9.gifacclaim.gifcloud9.gif

I suppose the image of the fat cat landlord screwing the tenants out of their apartment is how JC views me! confused-smiley-013.gif

To put a serious note on this, I really didn't think what you did was really that bad. You saw a yard sale, made an ethical call and bought some books cheap. It wasn't like you found millions of dollars of NM/NM+ Golden Age gems and gave the seller $2K and got back change.

I think what really rubbed me the wrong way (as some others have mentioned) is that you would brag about it, and seek our congratulations.

Personally, most people would keep that kind of stuff under their hat.

as i stated before, i was no tof the intent of bragging. If it read that way, then maybe i didn't type it carefully enough because of my excitement. I was sharing a find with other collectors, thats all. We all have stories about that happening to us, we can all relate. Thats all. Maybe my flair for description seemed to make it boisterous to some readers... confused-smiley-013.gif

One would assume that him having read some archetypical tales would have cast some amount of enlightenment on his extremely shortsighted view.

27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif27_laughing.gif

You tards sound like a friend of mine who deals in art. He scams regularly and laughs about it later, but if someone EVER takes him for a ride with dupes or fakes, watch the heavens unleash their fury.

Still skirting the issue, eh, Joe?

It's a fair enough question, but I'll rephrase it a bit: How can you stand to read "classic literature" which, by definition, is comprised of characters and situations whose ethical makeup is far from black and white? As an Objectivist, you should be finding 99% of classical characters so reprehensible that they take away from any enjoyment of the story. Unless your definition of "classic literature" is Atlas Shrugged and ... um, nothing else. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm not trying to pick a fight here. It's just that your ethical standards a bit contradictory to other aspects of your life, and I'm seriously attempting to correlate the two. You're a confusing character, Vince ... so unconfuse me.

Alan

To put a serious note on this, I really didn't think what you did was really that bad. I think what really rubbed me the wrong way (as some others have mentioned) is that you would brag about it, and seek our congratulations.

Really Joe? Your first post on this thread doesn't mention anything about bragging, only the fact that you felt outraged that he was ripping off old people (and I thought you told me you were giving up name-calling?):

Ripping off people is like spitting into the wind. What goes around comes around. Seeing yet another of our elderly taken advantage of is likely a good time as any to take another break from the reprobates on here.

Perhaps you should spend some time exploring your true feelings about things before spouting off at the keyboard, huh? 893naughty-thumb.gif

Shiver - - Im not goint to jump on you for your purchase, or point the heavy morality finger at you. But one question: most of us criticize Chuckie for his handling of the Church collection buy. Just how different (except obviously in scale) is your handling of YOUR uneducated and motivated seller? You both knew you were offered prices FAR below fair market value out of ignorance and haste.

Dont get me wrong - - I honestly dont think I would have acted much more "honorably" had I come across that same offer... Its a lot to be expected in that situation. but I would tell it here on these boards with more contriteness, not boasting...if I told it at all.

Uh, here's one difference: Chuckie paid $.09 apiece for high grade Golden Age books from a clueless seller representing an absentee invalid collector.

Shiver paid ~$2 each for low grade SA and one GA book, after ascertaining that the seller had some idea of the value and was comfortable with the price he had set.

It's a matter of degrees, but a pretty significant degree in this case, IMHO...