• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HOLY COW Yard sale find!!!!!

211 posts in this topic

I can't believe anyone is taking Joe B. seriously and even responding to his posts. What authority does he have in anything?

I remember an episode of the Twilight Zone with a man who had a parrot. To this man, you were either good or bad. Black or white. Well, after making life hell for all the people he saw as evil, he somehow managed to have all the evil people in the world become two feet tall. You guessed it - he too became two feet tall.

I remember an episode of the Twilight Zone with a man who had a parrot. To this man, you were either good or bad. Black or white. Well, after making life hell for all the people he saw as evil, he somehow managed to have all the evil people in the world become two feet tall. You guessed it - he too became two feet tall.

It's quite obvious you missed the moral of that story. 27_laughing.gif

It's quite obvious you missed the moral of that story. 27_laughing.gif

I want answers to my questions from you, Pharaoh. Not this insipid tripe.

I sell for a living. On many occasions a person has wanted to buy something from me for LESS than the cost of producing the item. In other words they wanted me/us to lose money to satisfy their need. It does not work that way. Everyone has a price, high or low, it's their price. They set one in their mind and they try to stick to it.

Chuck did nothing wrong in buying the MH books for a song. What if the seller wanted 100 million dollars and Chuck ran away from the deal, it happens all the time. The Church family could have done some research and set up some sort of estate sale, people do it everyday. They were trying to get rid of the books and Chuck was in the right place at the right time.

I have had the pleasure of buying some collections over the years. I have walked away from more than I have bought. People are unreasonable and I don't want to pay more than I have to. It sounds like some of you are jealous.

I am happy for Chuck.

pleasse read the many threads here on Chucks MH dealings. One of the many faults with his actions was that Chuck was called in as an expert to appraise the collection. And as an expert he should have been fairer.

And, all that aside, what is most appalling, many here agree, is in his endless re-tellings of the story, he repeatedly embellishes them with claims that he did them a favor, and that they were at no time upset about it. And what a hero he was for managing to get them all out of the house, and save the artwork etc etc etc .

anyway: this current episode involving one GA book aside, Chuck doesnt get much vocal support around here....except every now an dthen from some body who just might have been chuck himself....

pleasse read the many threads here on Chucks MH dealings. One of the many faults with his actions was that Chuck was called in as an expert to appraise the collection. And as an expert he should have been fairer.

And, all that aside, what is most appalling, many here agree, is in his endless re-tellings of the story, he repeatedly embellishes them with claims that he did them a favor, and that they were at no time upset about it. And what a hero he was for managing to get them all out of the house, and save the artwork etc etc etc .

Hey aman, do you know who `nochips' is?

Do you know Matt Nelson's article on pedigrees that seems to get linked to at least once a month here? Nochips is thanked in that article, and with good reason: He's forgotten more about the Edgar Church collection than most of us will ever know.

He's also a heckuva nice guy.

All that being said, when he indicates he's happy for Chuck for finding the pedigree, I suggest people listen closely and ask themselves "why?" Maybe the deal wasn't as unfair as those much farther removed from it suggest?

(Same goes for user `Timely', who has also chimed in here about the Church deal. Now, I've never met the guy in person, so I can't attest to his character, but he sure knows a lot more about the transaction than us.)

Alan (Not necessarily a Chuck apologist; just still trying to weigh all the facts.)

Never before have I ever heard that the Churches called in Chuck to evaluate and appraise the collection, that seems to be false. What I have heard is that they called many dealers to view the books, but no one wanted to come out to Colorado, lucky for Chuck he was at the right place at the right time.

Timely

Don't hate the players, hate the game!

tonofbricks.gif

It sounds like some of you are jealous.

I love hearing this comment, and it never fails to make me laugh.

For those born without a conscience, it must seem mighty strange to hear of people that are not actively scamming others for greenbacks. It must be one of life's great mysteries.

"But why wouldn't they be out there looking for easy coin instead of acting all high-and-mighty", thinks the scammer, "it must be because they're jealous".

I guess in your world, the only reason is jealousy, but sleeping well knowing I have not contributed to the ills of the world works fine by me.

No, I dont know him. I didnt recognize the name and with 150 posts assumed he was new here. sorry, wrong guess, I guess. SO who is 'nochips', maybe we have met.

But when it comes to Chuck, my mind is pretty well made up. From all sources I have read, heard and discussed from those who know him, worked with him, bought from him and ....well, short of having driven across a long lonely dangerous trail all night long... from all I have learned, in my judgement he is not the hero he proclaims himself to be.

I dont begrudge his luck, and, as I have admitted, I too probably would have paid the $2000 and packed up the truck as fast as I could before they woke up. BUT - -I wouldnt be talking about it as he does today. I'm sure some hate him out of jealousy, and sure, I wish I hade been called to a find like that. But Im not a dealer, comics is a hobby. So Im mostly jealous of the most successful guys in my profession.

But, as I say, my mind is made up, and apparently so is yours and nochips. So I'll leave it at that. I didnt mean him any harm...just thought he needed to read up a bit. guess not.

I'm sure some hate him out of jealousy, and sure, I wish I hade been called to a find like that.

Now I'm not speaking for everyone here, but I bet a large number of forum members didn't even have a license in 1977. For me to be jealous of Chuckie's find is to not understand the fundamental laws of time and space.

I could never have driven to see the collection, I could never have bought the collection, I didn't (and still don't) have any attachment to GA material, and I have no idea where all this "jealousy amongst collectors" came from.

Old time dealers maybe, but at that time, I was likely playing atom hockey.

Now I'm not speaking for everyone here, but I bet a large number of forum members didn't even have a license in 1977.

Well, I had mine in 1967. I used to love burning rubber, speed shifting and gas-braking. Now am more conservative but....::sigh::

Thank gawd for AHRA drag racing!

But, as I say, my mind is made up, and apparently so is yours and nochips. So I'll leave it at that. I didnt mean him any harm...just thought he needed to read up a bit. guess not.

This brings up an interesting question: Why is your mind made up on the subject already? Have you heard any information about the find from anyone close to the source, or is your opinion based primarily on what you've read third or fourth-hand? Have you ever met Chuck, or personally talked to him for a period of time necessary to formulate a decent judgment of his character?

No harm intended here either, just genuine curiousity on my part.

And my mind isn't made up yet, and probably won't ever be unless I meet Mr. Rozanski in person and he takes me aside to tell me, "Yeah, I screwed that old guy over! 893censored-thumb.gif him!"

After all, isn't life all about the continuous pursuit of knowledge?

Alan

And my mind isn't made up yet, and probably won't ever be unless I meet Mr. Rozanski in person and he takes me aside to tell me, "Yeah, I screwed that old guy over! 893censored-thumb.gif him!"

I recommend Tacos and Beer, and maybe a peeler or two.

I recommend Tacos and Beer, and maybe a peeler or two.

Answer my specific questions. They are in this thread and many others. You basically make weak jests on POV etc. but ignore my core arguments.

THIS is not trolling. What YOU are doing is trolling: ignoring my replies and making rediculous and vapid responses to me.

OK - "ridiculous" - not "rediculous" dag nab - yadda