• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Game: BRONZE AGE SURVIVOR SERIES- Round 5

Choose one Bronze Age book to depart.  

300 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one Bronze Age book to depart.

72 posts in this topic

Well, the peanut (brained) gallery has spoken, and a pair of Marvel stalwarts have been shown the door. Marvel Team-up #1 and X-Men 141 book walked the plank, bringing us down to 32 competitors.

This round will end on Tuesday at 8PM EST, so get voting!

Jimmy Olsen 135 shouldn't even be on the list. The first Darkseid appearance is 134, albeit a next-to-last-panel reveal. I know you're opposed to such minor appearances counting as the first appearance (I think Hulk 180/181 is the poster boy for this one), but in this case I think Overstreet got it right. Kirby intended 134 (the first attachment below) to be the big reveal (too bad the colorist didn't cooperate :frustrated:) And the subsequent 3-panel appearance in 135 (2nd attachment) was nothing to write home about either. What I've shown is it folks, no other Darkseid appearance until Forever People #1.

Jimmy Olsen 135 Must Die.

41862-1stDarkseid.jpg.636e9df7be9ed640c530a6f181f9b251.jpg

41863-2ndDarkseid.jpg.f10b8342a425fa90db72b661d90b5398.jpg

The WWBN 32 contingent has swayed me, and I've switched my vote from DD 131. MK must go!

now that's what i'm talkin bout!

Swampy 1 is next. so let it be written, so let it be done

Jimmy Olsen 135 shouldn't even be on the list. The first Darkseid appearance is 134, albeit a next-to-last-panel reveal. I know you're opposed to such minor appearances counting as the first appearance (I think Hulk 180/181 is the poster boy for this one), but in this case I think Overstreet got it right. Kirby intended 134 (the first attachment below) to be the big reveal (too bad the colorist didn't cooperate :frustrated:) And the subsequent 3-panel appearance in 135 (2nd attachment) was nothing to write home about either. What I've shown is it folks, no other Darkseid appearance until Forever People #1.

Ok, putting aside the 134/135 issue. Its still his 1st app. and while I happen to think that Darkseid is a Dr. Doom clone, I also think that he is one of the coolest villians in the DC Universe. In fact when I think about the reasoning for Marvel kicking the *&&^% out of DC for all those years I really think that the Villians, or lack thereof in the DC Universe (the Joker aside) is a main compelling reason for this. Darkseid is definitely one of the main DC villians to come out of the 70s and I think his place in the DC Universe is vastly superior to say Dracula's or MoonKnight's in Marvel.

2c

The WWBN 32 contingent has swayed me, and I've switched my vote from DD 131. MK must go!

now that's what i'm talkin bout!

Swampy 1 is next. so let it be written, so let it be done

No way, there are about 10 books that should be voted off before Swampy 1, such as TOD 10, DD 131, Superman 233, the first BA Two-Face, etc.

Ok, putting aside the 134/135 issue. Its still his 1st app. and while I happen to think that Darkseid is a Dr. Doom clone, I also think that he is one of the coolest villians in the DC Universe. In fact when I think about the reasoning for Marvel kicking the *&&^% out of DC for all those years I really think that the Villians, or lack thereof in the DC Universe (the Joker aside) is a main compelling reason for this. Darkseid is definitely one of the main DC villians to come out of the 70s and I think his place in the DC Universe is vastly superior to say Dracula's or MoonKnight's in Marvel.

2c

I agree, although I don't think Darkseid is a Dr. Doon clone. On the other hand, I believe that Thanos is a definitely a Darkseid clone.

2c

I agree, although I don't think Darkseid is a Dr. Doon clone. On the other hand, I believe that Thanos is a definitely a Darkseid clone.

So are Darth Vader, Shredder, Destro and Klytus. All cool characters though.