• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bil Mantlo - I Never Knew He Was...

6 posts in this topic

A prolific author, MANTLO entered Law School while still writing for Marvel. He passed the bar exam, and became a successful public defender in New York City. Several years later, MANTLO suffered irreparable brain damage upon being struck by a hit-and-run driver. He has required full-time nursing care ever since.

http://cgi.ebay.com/BILL-MANTLO-A-Life-In-Comics-BENEFIT-book-w-BONUS_W0QQitemZ150149417299QQihZ005QQcategoryZ75QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sad news about a good writer. :(

I always enjoyed his work. (thumbs u

The ebay auction doesn't state when the accident happened. Does anyone know

how long ago this occurred. I guess I could buy the book and find out. doh!

From Wikipedia:

In 1992, Mantlo was struck by a car while rollerblading. He suffered severe head trauma and spent over a year in a coma. He has since been institutionalized and is not expected to fully recover.

Benefit

In May 2006, writer-artist David Yurkovich, who previously dedicated his 2004 graphic novel Less Than Heroes to Mantlo, began work on a benefit project for Mantlo entitled Mantlo: A Life in Comics. Proceeds from the book, which was released June 19, 2007, were donated toward the costs of maintaining Mantlo's daily care.

This subject has been discussed here several times and I always asked if anyone had an update... I guess the book is just that. I was hoping against hope that there would be some positive recovery news, but I guess not.

Last I knew, he was in Long Island being cared for by his parents.

This subject has been discussed here several times and I always asked if anyone had an update... I guess the book is just that. I was hoping against hope that there would be some positive recovery news, but I guess not.

I saw a doc on coma victims and the doctors stated that any recovery is usually done within the first few months after coming out of the coma, and where the patient is after a year, is where he or she will remain.

It was heartbreaking stuff - an injury like that puts family members through hell. They all hope and pray that the patient will recover, but unlike television, they very rarely do. It was a real eye-opener for me, especially as along with the car accidents, a couple were from everyday accidents.

One lady was engaged to be married to a coma patient, and you could see she was cracking from the pressure.

I saw a doc on coma victims and the doctors stated that any recovery is usually done within the first few months after coming out of the coma, and where the patient is after a year, is where he or she will remain.

And the very few that do come out of it after a long period of time are never "right." Last year, I saw the [Primetime Live?] show on the guy that came out of a coma after 15 years or so. For 15 years this guys family propped him up on the living room couch and kept him in the middle of things going on such as holidays, etc. One day he just woke up. But, only fragments of his personality and intellect survived. The daughter that he knew as a toddler was now a young woman and he though the daughter was his wife... kept making sexual advances toward her, etc. Sad.