• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ethics Quiz

50 posts in this topic

Ok,...one more time.....

I would take all four items,...shoot the young girl/guy once in the head,....take my money back,..and bury her/him behind the garage with a couple of big scoops of lime on top...any questions??...good.

J.D.

Exactly, you guys'd cap your own gramma to get ahold of the greenbacks, so why would the age of a stranger matter?

Hey, hey, hey,...no one ever proved that,...she fell down the stairs.

J.D.

Yes, and accidentally shot herself! blush.gif

Ok,...one more time.....

I would take all four items,...shoot the young girl/guy once in the head,....take my money back,..and bury her/him behind the garage with a couple of big scoops of lime on top...any questions??...good.

J.D.

Exactly, you guys'd cap your own gramma to get ahold of the greenbacks, so why would the age of a stranger matter?

Hey, hey, hey,...no one ever proved that,...she fell down the stairs.

J.D.

Yes, and accidentally shot herself! blush.gif

She was cleaning her gun at the top of the stairs and she got dizzy.....It could happen.

J.D.

Here's a set of questions to answer. No humming and hah'ing, just YES or NO.

893frustrated.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

You need to get past your digital way of thinking if you want this quiz to succeed, Joe. The entire point of an "Ethics Quiz" is to "hum and haw," pointing out different scenarios and analyzing the 'why's behind the answers.

There's an old guy (65+) running a tag sale. Seems like a nice gent, (kinda like your grandpa) and he is selling the following (everything is legit / i.e. not counterfeit):

1) Stacks of actual $100 US bills for 10-cents each. Would you buy?

2) Transferable Bonds in $1,000 increments for $1 a piece. Would you buy?

3) The Deed to his house (est. $100K) for $100. Would you buy?

4) $100,000 worth of GA and SA NM comics for $100. Would you buy?

If we're gonna do this, let's do this right:

Obviously, partaking in any of the above scenarios is less altruistic than, say, helping an old lady across the street. However, is any one worse than the others? One could argue that the third and fourth ones are less selfish than the first two, since divesting of either the house or the comics would take some amount of work on the buyer's part, whereas the cash and bonds could essentially be spent or deposited as-is. As written, though, they're all pretty bad.

However -- and here's where the "hemming and hawing" comes in -- what if there were so many comics that the seller felt they were an albatross around his neck and wanted them gone, no matter what? Or what if the house is where his wife of 50 years had died and it held just too many bad memories for him to continue to live there? What if the old guy already had more than enough money in the bank to live a comfortable lifestyle for the remainder of his life? Or what if he was terminally ill and couldn't spend $100,000 if he tried? Or what if he had converted to some form of religion that said he had to divest of all worldly possessions?

Of course, you can play it the other way. What if the old guy is clearly mentally ill? Or what if he asks you what you think (a), (b), © or (d) is worth and you tell him "$100?" And on and on....

(I realize playing the "what if" game can suck, but when dealing with ethics, it's kinda mandatory. grin.gif )

It's all shades of grey, buddy. At least that's how I think. Anybody else care to chime in?

Alan

You are a deler @ a comic show. A customer opens his wallet to pay for the books purchased (you now know the story is not real) and pulls out $100 bill (what buyer has a $100 bill?). You take the money and notice that there is a second $100 stuck to the first one. Here is the mora dilemma:

Do you share the second $100 with your partner?

Ok,...one more time.....

J.D.

Ok...c'mon..this is way over the top now... 893naughty-thumb.gif

We all know you would bang her too... thumbsup2.gifblush.gif

For all of those that said yes to the house... Do you actually own one?

Normal home-owner progression:

smile.gif => 893whatthe.gif => 893frustrated.gif => crazy.gif => insane.gif => smile.gif

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

Yes. I'm looking forward to progressing from the crazy stage to the insane stage. grin.gif

heres my answers to the quiz:

Sure, I'd agree to those deals. BUT, Id feel very unclean about it for a long time. Not SO guilty that Id try to be "fair" and offer more and blow the deal entirely since once he gets offered more, chances are he rethinks the entire thing and gets as greedy as we are being. But, guilty enough.

Good thing such a deal will never present itself to any of us. How about this: a unknowledgeable seller offers something worth $20000 for $8000. Do you take it and your easy 250% profit right away. or do you negotiate to try to get it down to $5000?

Or this one: a dealer gets dislexic for ten minutes and reads a price tag as $1700 instead of $7100. Do you pay quick and leave the table (and the show???) Or do you tell him about it. And if you tell, do you try to cash in your honesty points for a heftier than usual discount?

And if you are Bob Storms, do you give it to him even tho he never even once looked in the boxes you dragged to the show???

(just ribbing you Bob.)

Are we allowed to use the $100 bills from 1) to buy 2), 3), and 4)?

(And if so, can we get all four of these for 10cents if we work it just right?) grin.gif

Here's a set of questions to answer. No humming and hah'ing, just YES or NO.

There's an old guy (65+) running a tag sale. Seems like a nice gent, (kinda like your grandpa) and he is selling the following (everything is legit / i.e. not counterfeit):

What is the point of this absolutely insane exercise? Seriously? What is the point?

This is not an ethics quiz, this is you being an [!@#%^&^].

An ethics quiz would be this:

1) You go to a yard sale, and there's a stack of comics on a table. They are all marked 50 cents each. You flip through them and there's beat to [!@#%^&^] Care Bears, and all of a sudden there's a gorgeous Hulk 181. Not a CGC NM, but a nice solid VF book. There are a bunch of other Hulks from the same time period, but they're beat up. You ask the nice young couple holding the yard sale (they're moving and are selling their house) - are you sure this is supposed to be here (holding up the Hulk 181). The guy says, yeah, I bought a bunch of comics when I was in college and that was there - I was a big Star Wars collector. Never really liked Wolverine. Take it, I just don't want it any more. What do you do? this is an actual

2) You're at the DC Big Flea Market at the Chantilly Expo Mart and an antiques dealer has a pile of old comics. Amongst the $15 priced Classics Illustrated 140 4th printings, the torn to [!@#%^&^] Looney Toones from 1959 for $15 there's an All-Winners 2 in VG- for $15 as well. What do you do? ( this is an actual.

3) A guy comes into a store that you frequent with a bag of comics and says "do you buy comics?" to the store owners. The store owner says, sort of smarmy-esque, looking around, yes, yes we do. Guy pulls out a stack of comics. Inside the bag are dreck, dreck, and more dreck, couple of nice enough 1970s Spideys and a bunch of undergrounds. Store says "I can't sell the undergrounds here, so I'll give you $50 for the lot." Guy says nah, I want to sell everything. Offers them to you. You know what the undergrounds are. First printing Zaps, Freak Brothers, etc. You say, "what do you want for them" Guy says $200. What do you do? this is an actual,

See, these are "ethics questions". Ethics questions don't have black or white answers. Ethics questions have gray answers. Morals questions have black and white answers. Obviously for the four totally bullsh!t questions that you posted, there is only one answer. Stop wasting my and everybody else's time on this. mad.gif

See, these are "ethics questions". Ethics questions don't have black or white answers. Ethics questions have gray answers. Morals questions have black and white answers. Obviously for the four totally bullsh!t questions that you posted, there is only one answer. Stop wasting my and everybody else's time on this.

We should call you "Hammer" for nailing it so well! grin.gifthumbsup2.gif

And as far as your own questions go - I would say BUY to them all - especially the flea market question - but would still say buy to them all. Am posting another thread in General about Experience and Education as soon as I leave here.

I have come to the conclusion that for some reason, the comic collecting world has a disproportionate number of gray-zone collectors. It must go back to the days of early fandom, where comics were deemed worthless by the general public, and dealers took great pride in buying valuable collections for fractions of pennies on the dollar. There's a definite "us vs. them" mentality with many dealers/collectors and I've observed it first-hand.

It's pretty easy to see this sort of vindictiveness in Chuck's diatribes, especially when he vilifies any of the people he bought comics off of, like the evil Church family or the drug-addled, mafioso-controlled MH2 collection. For some reason, many in the comic collecting/dealing fields feel antagonism towards the general population and (as has been stated a few times on these forums) the seller "deserved what he got" for not being educated in comics.

I wonder how much this relates to the alienation and social harassment some collectors are subject to as children, and in some small way, buying a nice collection for pennies represents an atavistic form of revenge on this same group. You know the one, the "know-nothing sellers who were gonna throw away the books anyway, and deserved what they got for not understanding comic values".

I'll tell you one thing, a psychologist could have a field day with you guys.

I would appreciate some replies to my previous questions. I would also appreciate some replies to my new Ethics, Experience & Education thread. It tends to cover those grey areas.

I wonder how much this relates to the alienation and social harassment some collectors are subject to as children, and in some small way, buying a nice collection for pennies represents an atavistic form of revenge on this same group.

That kind of question usually indicates looking into yourself - it is sufficiently pointed to indicate a self-experience.

As I have said on these boards, one reason why I collect pre-code horror (and also classic 1930's and 1940's horror movie paper - lobby cards, inserts, one-sheets etc) is because my upbringing was a horrid thing. The destruction of the "monsters" in these genres destroyes, in my mind, the monsters I knew in real life as a child.

Now, I am happy to report, the monsters are indeed dead but out of this I have developed a fondness and appreciation for these genres.

Now will you PLEASE answer some of my specific and pointed questions?

That kind of question usually indicates looking into yourself - it is sufficiently pointed to indicate a self-experience.

Nevermind.

Okay, so I did a little bullying early on, but that was only because I was big and liked the power rush. grin.gif