• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ethics Quiz

50 posts in this topic

I thought POV meant the other way around....

POV = Point of View

As in:

"I read what Joe_Collector wrote and not only did he shift my point of view on the subject of Qualified comics, but it changed my life for the better. God Bless You Joe!"

I thought POV meant the other way around....

POV = Point of View

As in:

"I read what Joe_Collector wrote and not only did he shift my point of view on the subject of Qualified comics, but it changed my life for the better. God Bless You Joe!"

No - we exist in a complex society where POV can mean many things. But in this context, POV means me, POVertyrow - which I am sure you, Joe, know.

Now I will say YET AGAIN - with no real replies of substance - reply ot my direct points, Joe_Collector.

"I would take all four items,...shoot the old man once in the head,....take my money back,..and bury him behind the garage with a couple of big scoops of lime on top...any questions??...good."

Hi all. I'm not sure how I'd answer the questions posed in this thread, but I thought this one was pretty funny. smile.gif

I wonder how much this relates to the alienation and social harassment some collectors are subject to as children, and in some small way, buying a nice collection for pennies represents an atavistic form of revenge on this same group. You know the one, the "know-nothing sellers who were gonna throw away the books anyway, and deserved what they got for not understanding comic values".

I like it... and will try to take it a step further...

Maybe the murkiness of "justice" and altruism as depicted in comic books - especially the Marvel titles of the '60s and '70s, which many forumites were weaned on (if they were ever weaned at all insane.gif) contributed to the "gray area" effect. Once you've been told for the 1,000th time that being too good or too fair (letting the bad guy get up instead of finishing him off, as just one example), perhaps you start to apply this blurring effect to the real world...?

I dunno, but for me the line is drawn between knowledgeable comic book collectors/dealers and the ignorant newbie. As a kid, I'd take anyone for whatever I could, comic book-wise... but that was when I was 10 or 12... I'd like to think my morals are a bit more defined and established now...

Here's a set of questions to answer. No humming and hah'ing, just YES or NO.

There's an old guy (65+) running a tag sale. Seems like a nice gent, (kinda like your grandpa) and he is selling the following (everything is legit / i.e. not counterfeit):

1) Stacks of actual $100 US bills for 10-cents each. Would you buy?

2) Transferable Bonds in $1,000 increments for $1 a piece. Would you buy?

3) The Deed to his house (est. $100K) for $100. Would you buy?

4) $100,000 worth of GA and SA NM comics for $100. Would you buy?

What is the point of this absolutely insane exercise? Seriously? What is the point?

This is not an ethics quiz, this is you being an [!@#%^&^].

An ethics quiz would be this:

1) You go to a yard sale, and there's a stack of comics on a table. They are all marked 50 cents each. You flip through them and there's beat to [!@#%^&^] Care Bears, and all of a sudden there's a gorgeous Hulk 181. Not a CGC NM, but a nice solid VF book. There are a bunch of other Hulks from the same time period, but they're beat up. You ask the nice young couple holding the yard sale (they're moving and are selling their house) - are you sure this is supposed to be here (holding up the Hulk 181). The guy says, yeah, I bought a bunch of comics when I was in college and that was there - I was a big Star Wars collector. Never really liked Wolverine. Take it, I just don't want it any more. What do you do? this is an actual

2) You're at the DC Big Flea Market at the Chantilly Expo Mart and an antiques dealer has a pile of old comics. Amongst the $15 priced Classics Illustrated 140 4th printings, the torn to [!@#%^&^] Looney Toones from 1959 for $15 there's an All-Winners 2 in VG- for $15 as well. What do you do? ( this is an actual.

3) A guy comes into a store that you frequent with a bag of comics and says "do you buy comics?" to the store owners. The store owner says, sort of smarmy-esque, looking around, yes, yes we do. Guy pulls out a stack of comics. Inside the bag are dreck, dreck, and more dreck, couple of nice enough 1970s Spideys and a bunch of undergrounds. Store says "I can't sell the undergrounds here, so I'll give you $50 for the lot." Guy says nah, I want to sell everything. Offers them to you. You know what the undergrounds are. First printing Zaps, Freak Brothers, etc. You say, "what do you want for them" Guy says $200. What do you do? this is an actual,

See, these are "ethics questions". Ethics questions don't have black or white answers. Ethics questions have gray answers. Morals questions have black and white answers. Obviously for the four totally bullsh!t questions that you posted, there is only one answer. Stop wasting my and everybody else's time on this. mad.gif

I couldn't agree more to the pointlessness of this post. However, I'd say yes to all and be just fine with it. As to Donut's dilema's...

buy 'em all so the sellers have them off their hands (you're doing them a favor)

buy the all-winners for sure (not up-to-date on classics illustrated, etc. and i'm not gonna pull out an overstreet at a flea market)

buy but negotiate. if you take it too quick, the seller will wonder what they have.

I once was setting up a table at a local church flea market and the lady setting up next to me mentioned she had stacks and stacks of comcs from abouy twenty years ago.I told her that of course I'd be interested and we would work something out later. This women had a bizarre selling strategy of only putting about a dozen items at a time on her table and to my surprise she started drawing huge crowds as everyone waited to see what was next.It was a totally eclectic selection and almost everything she put out sold at a decent price.Finally the show is over,we are packing and talking about the comics when she realizes she has a book of coins she forgot to put out. I thumb thru the book and it is run of the mill Ikes and Susan Bs, nothing special but she has them marked as being half dollars, not dollars. I try to explain to her the difference but she insists I am wrong and sells me 120 dollars for $60. I would have refused except several other peole had gathered around and would have bougt them the second I said no. My plan was to make it up to her by paying more for the comics.

Several days go by and we finally am able to get together for a looksee at the books. I go to her house to find- A House full of stolen property. Sterio's,designer clothes with tags attached, power tools and...... about 300 of the most ragged 35 cent Archies and Richie Rich's you could imagine. Her son kept asking me if I was a cop and reminding me that I had to tell the truth or any arrest was invalid(?)Didn't buy anything but left with a clear mind.