• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL - Who buys CGC books?

Who buys CGC Books?  

591 members have voted

1. 1. Who buys CGC Books?

32 posts in this topic

The majority are both investors and collectors. Every slab I've bought was to fill or upgrade the runs I collect. I bought them slabbed either to protect the investment or to ensure the grade.

As to which motivates each individual purchase more, investment or collecting...I'd have to lean towards investment, but it's a tough call. At one time, I read an article where Borock said that the majority of comics CGC slabbed were Silver Age. Many Silver Age comics are a risk of restoration, and the majority of buyers bought those slabs for the same reason I did, to protect the investment. I'd have to assume that the majority of comics slabbed today are probably Bronze or Modern; in that market, I'd assume it's mostly for investment since the risk of restoration is almost nil. There are more than a few collectors who buy Bronze/Modern slabbed just to ensure they're in very high grade, but I'm guessing those people who truly want those individual books for the long haul may be in the minority.

I have a ton of slabbed books in HG and tend to dump anything under a 9.4. I personally buy slabbed books to make sure it has less of a chance of being damaged in the future by mishandling or some dumb mistake. It also sure looks purty tongue.gif

Mike,

I buy books that are slabbed to get some guarantee of grade. Even with bronze books, often the quality of book seen in store bins is poor, and I've gotten fed up with buying overgraded items online, some from sellers with good grading feedback.

"Readers are collectors, although not all collectors are readers!!"

My daughter loves reading comics and my wife will even read one from time to time (when I make her), but neither one collects them.

.......when i'm buying books over $100 online (silver age primarily) i will buy it slabbed for the following reasons:

1. i have a pretty acurate gaurantee of the grade of the book

2. the slab offers long term protection for high grade books

3. less chance of damage in the post

4. restoration check

5. reduces risk of fraud (kind of)

........books under $100, i will buy raw (less risk factor), although there are some great bargains to be had on ebay for mid grade slabbed silver age books!

........i don't buy slabbed books outside of ebay though, as i trust my own grading skills and like to leaf through a book before i buy...........

How many CGC encapsulated books have you opened?

I would re-do the survey to make it percentages. 0-10%. 10-20% etc. Whatever percentage range you want to use. Some folks may only own 5 or 10 cgc - and if they have opened, say, 3 of them, then that is a pretty high percentage.

(edited for a few typos)

Right now, I buy slabbed books of lines that I love to collect like ASM. When I start buying slabbed books of like Luke Cage or DD, then I'll become an investor as I have an alterior motive for making that purchase...I'm buying it not b/c I like it but for the sole purpose of selling it at a profit..

Brian

Definitely a collector.

I prefer raw comics and 99% of my collection is raw.

If I am buying CGC I really only want to buy Signature series books.

I have about 700 slabs altogether and these range from SS to books I can only find slabbed.

I have never cracked a slab...yet

I only slab to sell, and when I've bought slabbed books I've usually deslabbed them unless I planned on selling them in the short run, the exception being a higher graded/priced book that I decided to keep in the slab - and eventually did sell anyway.