• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL - Who buys CGC books?

Who buys CGC Books?  

591 members have voted

1. 1. Who buys CGC Books?

32 posts in this topic

I've experinced members tell us new folks not to try to turn a buck off comics, (to make alot of money you'd have to spend alot of money) Im going to be buying slabbed comics for three reasons 1. I have no intention on trying to turn profit off my hobby.

2. To ensure grade and compete in registry sets

3. I collect what I like and want to assertain the highest grade I can afford for my satisfaction.

I do not buy slab bed comics. As a comic collector I prefer to find a book in the condition I want and I enjoy reading them. I want to be able to get them out and turn the pages. I own 1 which was a gift and cracked open another. The premium most people put on slabs is rediculus.

I own roughly 20-30 slabbed books, but they're all Golden Age, so I wasn't able to answer the survey. I buy slabbed mainly because most of the high-grade GA books that come up for sale happen to be slabbed but also because of the restoration check. I'd be happy to buy raw from a collector or dealer whom I trusted if I also trusted that person's ability to detect restoration. (I do not trust my own ability to detect professional restoration, especially more subtle things like solvent cleaning.)

I have never paid to slab a book yet, but I probably will do it to the raw books I have that are high enough in grade that I wouldn't want to risk thumbing through them.

Slabbing does have a downside in that you can't fully enjoy a book; I can see my collection really splitting into two in the future - high grade slabbed and mid-grade raw.

I am a collector, not an investor. In fact, the best predictor I've found for the future value of a book is as follows: 1) if I buy a book, in will decrease in value; 2) if I consider buying a book but pass on it, it will appreciate considerably soon afterward; 3) if I sell a book, the value will increase exponentially almost immediately afterward. I guess you could call me an antivestor.

Readers are collectors, although not all collectors are readers!! grin.gif

Agreed!

Are you sure about that statement? I know plenty of readers who have no interest whatsoever in collecting. This is why it is very dangerous (in my opinion) to assume that just because someone buys and reads a few comic books a month they will eventually become a full-fledged collector spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on one book. Contrary to popular commentary from the media and sometimes these forums, a lot of enthusiasts are not active in this higher end 'pool'. Look at how many comic books CGC graded (I think they are at a little over two million) compared to how many are out there in total. Not everyone has a desire to own an AF #15.

While it is true I am a collector of high grade CGC comic books and NOT a reader (I do like the art and am a huge fan of the medium); I think that sometimes collectors adopt an incorrect philosophy that just because someone is wearing a Thor T-Shirt or goes to a comic book store or waits in line to see a comic book themed movie, that they will be or are a collector of this medium. This is a fallacy and is generally not true regardless of what collecting field we compare this same analogy to. Do all video game enthusiasts become collectors? Very few do. In fact go to any flea market or walk into your place of employment and announce you collect video games. You will get some odd stares compared to more popular collecting fields like coins, art glass, and even comic books. Do all home movie buyers frantically collect movies? If so VHS movies would be enjoying much more popularity right now than just the handful of collectors who keep the price of very hard to find cult classics just well within the reach of ‘collectible status’ and outside the realm of ‘rubbish.’ In conclusion, the term ‘collector’ is extremely overused in our society. While many people consider themselves collectors it does not mean they will all pay top price for the collectibles they seek; or even spend the amount of money more advanced collectors in their same field do. They are levels of collecting that should be defined when discussing this term. There are beginning or novice collectors, casual collectors (that have very little skin in the game), advanced collectors, collector-hoarders and collector-investors. Each one is different and responds differently to changing market dynamics. How these stated collectors react and respond in general is what in turn helps define the full market of the specified collecting field.

Just my two cents....

Respectfully,

'mint'

Readers are collectors, although not all collectors are readers!! grin.gif

Agreed!

Are you sure about that statement? I know plenty of readers who have no interest whatsoever in collecting. This is why it is very dangerous (in my opinion) to assume that just because someone buys and reads a few comic books a month they will eventually become a full-fledged collector spending hundreds if not thousands of dollars on one book. Contrary to popular commentary from the media and sometimes these forums, a lot of enthusiasts are not active in this higher end 'pool'. Look at how many comic books CGC graded (I think they are at a little over two million) compared to how many are out there in total. Not everyone has a desire to own an AF #15.

While it is true I am a collector of high grade CGC comic books and NOT a reader (I do like the art and am a huge fan of the medium); I think that sometimes collectors adopt an incorrect philosophy that just because someone is wearing a Thor T-Shirt or goes to a comic book store or waits in line to see a comic book themed movie, that they will be or are a collector of this medium. This is a fallacy and is generally not true regardless of what collecting field we compare this same analogy to. Do all video game enthusiasts become collectors? Very few do. In fact go to any flea market or walk into your place of employment and announce you collect video games. You will get some odd stares compared to more popular collecting fields like coins, art glass, and even comic books. Do all home movie buyers frantically collect movies? If so VHS movies would be enjoying much more popularity right now than just the handful of collectors who keep the price of very hard to find cult classics just well within the reach of collectible status and outside the realm of rubbish. In conclusion, the term collector is extremely overused in our society. While many people consider themselves collectors it does not mean they will all pay top price for the collectibles they seek; or even spend the amount of money more advanced collectors in their same field do. They are levels of collecting that should be defined when discussing this term. There are beginning or novice collectors, casual collectors (that have very little skin in the game), advanced collectors, collector-hoarders and collector-investors. Each one is different and responds differently to changing market dynamics. How these stated collectors react and respond in general is what in turn helps define the full market of the specified collecting field.

Just my two cents....

Respectfully,

'mint'

So true (thumbs u