• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

YOURE NOT GOING TO BELIEVE WHO I JUST BUMPED INTO IN MELBOURNE AUSTRALIA!

93 posts in this topic

he had just been to sydney- "doing some business with private clients" and will be back in October to do the sydney convention

unfortunately he cant do the Melbourne show as it is the same w/end as sydney

doh!Why in the world do you Aussies schedule your comic cons on the same weekend? It`d be like SD and Chicago being scheduled for the same weekend.

he had just been to sydney- "doing some business with private clients" and will be back in October to do the sydney convention

doh!Why in the world do you Aussies schedule your comic cons on the same weekend? It`d be like SD and Chicago being scheduled for the same weekend.

Beats me.

Sounds like its a lose lose situation to me.

Not as much fun for the buyers and only one selling venue instead of two for the dealers.

I have never been to the Sydney con but it sounds like fun.

Does Harley earn a lot of money? How is he able to go (and take his books with him) to just about every con in the US not to mention as far and wide as regular trips to Europe and Oz?

When i see the photos of his tables at the various cons in the states compared to here...well he bring about a third of what you'd expect. And I think he tends to make some money based upon customers here who ask him to bring certain books.

On my part, i tend to pick up a book or two from what he brings down. Last october i bought an X-men 10 and a FF #49 (yes an x-men collector getting a FF book..the end of the world). Both would grade out in the VF.

I just feel that you should support those dealers who make the effort for such a long trip and no guarantee of good sales here.

If you read some of the forums from both organisers, it's like both want to be the number one in presenting these cons and aren't willing to work together...to the detriment of the collectors *sigh*.

And Russ the con up herre is fairly good, not like the ones in the 90's alas. Now then we got some really good guests.

harley is a comic hobby legend!

I don't care, I'll bet he thought you were drunk. Anyways if you collect comic dealer autographs it's your business, however in my own personal opinion I think you may have taken this whole "collecting" obsession way too far. I have bought plenty of comic books from reputable dealers, but never in my wildest dreams would I ever think about asking one of them to sign an autograph.

I wonder if you could have flown out CGC and had Harkey sign a comic and get it slabbed as a Signature Series!

I wonder if you could have flown out CGC and had Harley sign a comic and get it slabbed as a Signature Series!

Not unless Harley was a part of that comic book's process (i.e. writer, creator, artist, etc.)

I wonder if you could have flown out CGC and had Harley sign a comic and get it slabbed as a Signature Series!

Not unless Harley was a part of that comic book's process (i.e. writer, creator, artist, etc.)

But he is part of the process. He is a jet setting Comic Book dealer hustler flying into Australia with groupies that want his sig! How can he not get his own Signature Series? He's makin' comics cool and making fanboys drool (as evidenced by Banner's request for his autograph). He's got 8 pages devoted to his appearance in Aussie land! , he can just start signing the books he sells at his booth!

harley is a comic hobby legend!

I don't care, I'll bet he thought you were drunk. Anyways if you collect comic dealer autographs it's your business, however in my own personal opinion I think you may have taken this whole "collecting" obsession way too far. I have bought plenty of comic books from reputable dealers, but never in my wildest dreams would I ever think about asking one of them to sign an autograph.

I wonder if you could have flown out CGC and had Harkey sign a comic and get it slabbed as a Signature Series!

:signfunny:

AND, NO IT WASNT ELVIS.......................

Doc, what i can't believe is that you've actually got punctuation in your typing. Now that is an accomplishment Harley should be proud of!

lol

Steven King. :grin:

Stephen King makes a splash Down Under

August 17, 2007

MELBOURNE, Australia --Horror writer Stephen King couldn't resist autographing a few books while vacationing in Australia. But it nearly got him in hot water.

The manager of a bookstore in Alice Springs in Australia's Outback was alerted that someone was defacing books this week. But when Bev Ellis checked the books, she saw King's signature and knew it was no vandal -- that it was Stephen King himself.

Ellis, who tracked the author down in a nearby supermarket, told the Herald Sun newspaper in Melbourne that King signed seven copies of his latest work, "Lisey's Story."

She said she didn't consider King's surprise visit and book signings to be particularly eccentric. "Lots of authors do it," she said. "They'll come into the shop and check if their works are on the shelves. If they are, they'll often sign a few copies."

She told King, who is from Bangor, Maine, that if she'd known he was paying a visit, she would have baked him a cake.

As for the books, a customer purchased one of them right away on Wednesday. The rest will be auctioned off with the proceeds going to charity, Ellis said.

© Copyright 2007 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.