• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A stroll down Centaurman lane...visually stunning

167 posts in this topic

That's another great set. What's the difference between the 2 copies of the book in there twice. One is the newsstand edition but the other is ...?

There are a couple of great covers late in this run. :wishluck: scans of all the books on the bottom row, CentaurMan?

That's another great set. What's the difference between the 2 copies of the book in there twice. One is the newsstand edition but the other is ...?

There are a couple of great covers late in this run. :wishluck: scans of all the books on the bottom row, CentaurMan?

the one with the Lion on the cover...one is the comic, one is a full sized promotional mock up comic (or something along those lines, Win can chime in, I honestly had brain overload by this point)

rick

Win what do you plan to focus on after the Centaur collection is complete?

lol

While I'm 90% done in 7 years, it might take me another 10 years to finish at the rate I'm now going. I'll worry about that later.

It's a promotional comic geared towards laundries (for some reason). A copy of this comic would have theoretically been printed with the name of a local laundry on the covers and inside, but this was one of the copies that was used to promote the idea to the laundry owners and has the generic "Your Laundry Name" printed in those locations instead. It has only 16 pages.

I've never heard of one being found that actually does have a specific laundry printed on the covers, nor do I know of any issue other than this Funny Picture Stories that was mocked up this way. One sold on Heritage a while back (from whom I cribbed some of the description above), while I got this copy on eBay. Not sure how many others exist.

Sure, I'll put them in the Centaur thread a bit later.

Rick, great group pick-ture taking there - detail in all the covers comes out totally legible - makes enjoyment that much crisper

and to the owner Win: envy is in order - quite an accomplishment.

I set out in the 1970s to complete a Centaur run and we didn't even know all the issues made up a complete set yet. My first Centaurs were Star Ranger Funnies #15 1938 with a Will Eisner western story in the middle By Willis Rensie, it said

My other first Centaur was Amazing Mystery Funnies with that train taking off being lifted and i remember it had Bill Everett - i forget the number right now. 2/3 was it?

Also had a C-M-O but no one knew then it was Centaur related at the time

most people were stuck on the DC Marvel Fawcett MLJ super hero stuff

Centaur, Fox and pre hero DC collectors were looked down upon in a way back in the day

I amassed abou 150 of them before i got winded, they became mor edifficult to acquire and i got wrapped up in comic book chain store building - was a lot of fun, as the thrill of the hunt for these scarce treasures i am sure you well know by now

My other first Centaur was Amazing Mystery Funnies with that train taking off being lifted and i remember it had Bill Everett - i forget the number right now. 2/3 was it?

Bob, was this it (2/10)?

100_1040.jpg

100_1040.jpg

That's a gorgeous looking book (and an issue I need).

I didn't realize that Leo Morey had done that cover.

He was a noted illustrator who painted numerous covers for Amazing Stories and other pulps from 1929 to 1951.

100_1040.jpg

That's a gorgeous looking book (and an issue I need).

I didn't realize that Leo Morey had done that cover.

He was a noted illustrator who painted numerous covers for Amazing Stories and other pulps from 1929 to 1951.

I believe he did several other AMF covers, as well...

great stuff

rick

Bob, was this it (2/10)?

100_1040.jpg

sure was - This Amazing Mystery and Star Ranger 15 were my very first Centaurs - hey surely were harder to find 30 some odd years ago -

nice copy, i might add

Thanks Surfer, RB, and BZ, I love the AMF 2/10 - that's the Church copy, which I purchased from Redbeard back in the 80's (books were a wee bit cheaper 25 years ago... (: )

I really like Ron...a great guy, loves wines and comics and scuba diving (I think)....and, a good comic dealer, too

rick

Thanks Surfer, RB, and BZ, I love the AMF 2/10 - that's the Church copy, which I purchased from Redbeard back in the 80's (books were a wee bit cheaper 25 years ago... (: )

DANG!! Church no less!! Great book, Steve.

Bob, was this it (2/10)?

Steve, your copy is just sick! (worship)

I love the AMF 2/10 - that's the Church copy, which I purchased from Redbeard back in the 80's (books were a wee bit cheaper 25 years ago... (: )

You`re so lucky to be so old! :baiting:

Eh? Can you speak up sonny, I can't hear you!

I love the AMF 2/10 - that's the Church copy, which I purchased from Redbeard back in the 80's (books were a wee bit cheaper 25 years ago... (: )

You`re so lucky to be so old! :baiting:

Eh? Can you speak up sonny, I can't hear you!

lol

Sweet Church AMF Steve! (thumbs u