• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Foreigners are buying up all the silver age books

46 posts in this topic

I just got back from the post office and realized about 1/3 of the packages I just shipped went to foreign countries. And those packages accounted for over half the comics shipped. One guy alone won 10 ebay auctions worth (about 70 lower grade silver comics).

The higher shipping rates are not stopping them at all. The low US dollar rate and the increased interest in all things superhero due to all the superhero movies is driving a massive buying binge.

This will probably result in higher silver prices across the board, because once these comics leave the USA, they ain't comin' back, thus depelting the domestic supply for US collectors. Within 10 years probably half the existing copies of all silver comics will be located outside the USA.

This will probably result in higher silver prices across the board, because once these comics leave the USA, they ain't comin' back, thus depelting the domestic supply for US collectors. Within 10 years probably half the existing copies of all silver comics will be located outside the USA.

62% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

It's those darn Canadians.

The Canucks are buying like crazy these days, but so are a lot of poeple from the UK. The 70 comics I shipped went to a guy in the UK. The Aussies are buying too, one guy won 20 of my high grade WDC&S comic auctions last month.

Now if only the Muslim countries would start buying those 90's comics with the busty heroines on the cover.... hm

LotImg9250.jpg

lol

They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain

97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain

I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime

99 percent think we're 3 percent 100 percent of the time

64 percent of all the world's statistics are made up right there on the spot

82.4 percent of people believe 'em whether they're accurate statistics or not

I don't know what you believe but I do know there's no doubt

I need another double shot of something 90 proof

I got too much to think about

Too much to think about

Too much to figure out

Stuck between hope and doubt

It's too much to think about

They say 92 percent of everything you learned in school was just wildly_fanciful_statement you'll never need

84 percent of everything you got you bought to satisfy your greed

Because 90 percent of the world's population links possessions to success

Even though 80 percent of the wealthiest 1 percent of the population

Drinks to an alarming excess

More money, more stress

Too much to figure out

Pick it now

84 percent of all statisticians truly hate their jobs

They say the average bank robber lives within say about 20 miles of the bank that he robs

There's this little bank not far from here I've been watching now for a while

Lately all I can think about's how bad I wanna go out in style

-Todd Snider

lol

They say 3 percent of the people use 5 to 6 percent of their brain

97 percent use 3 percent and the rest goes down the drain

I'll never know which one I am but I'll bet you my last dime

99 percent think we're 3 percent 100 percent of the time

64 percent of all the world's statistics are made up right there on the spot

82.4 percent of people believe 'em whether they're accurate statistics or not

I don't know what you believe but I do know there's no doubt

I need another double shot of something 90 proof

I got too much to think about

Too much to think about

Too much to figure out

They say 92 percent of everything you learned in school was just wildly_fanciful_statement you'll never need

84 percent of everything you got you bought to satisfy your greed

Because 90 percent of the world's population links possessions to success

Even though 80 percent of the wealthiest 1 percent of the population

Drinks to an alarming excess

More money, more stress

Too much to figure out

Pick it now

84 percent of all statisticians truly hate their jobs

They say the average bank robber lives within say about 20 miles of the bank that he robs

There's this little bank not far from here I've been watching now for a while

Lately all I can think about's how bad I wanna go out in style

-Todd Snider

I Call BS on that! rantrant

and Canadians rule! :P

I mentioned this a few years back.

While being unable speak for anyone else, my first collection of first issues is already heading toward the 200 slab mark. Over 50 of these are Pedigree copies.

Multiply this by a few hundred other people like myself outside of the USA and you alread have 40,000 HG books leaving the shores. Using the same ratio that would be around 10,000 Pedigree book going to other countries.

My number was based on 200 other collectors like myself living outside the USA it may well be a lot more or a lot less but it does indicate part of the reason that I am seeing less & less original Pedigree S/A & B/A books hitting the market.

Just some random thoughts,

Russ...

I fail to see why this is a problem? Collectors are collectors are they not? What does it matter if they are foreign or domestic? We're not talking military secrets or national security here... :devil:

Is it because of the postal rates? At some point, they're going to be so close that it probably doesn't matter since domestic rates are going up and international rates are actually coming down.

Flaming Telepath is selling his UK collection to a lot of US people... (Okay, and Canadians.) It works both ways. Comics will come back and forth across international dividers. (shrug)

Within 10 years probably half the existing copies of all silver comics will be located outside the USA.

Not sure about that.

Concerning Silver age comics collectors, most of the non North Americans collectors are, imho, located in UK.

A good proof is the numbers of comics for sale on each eBay place.

How many collectors in France ? Hard to say. 100 ? 1000 ? Probably somewhere between this two figures.

I know there are a few others collectors in europe (Belgium, Germany, Nederlands, Spain, Austria, Italy...), but not so much.

Add to theses a few collectors in Asia and Australia and i think that's all.

Not enough to influence the market.

The impact, if there is one, is maybe on big ticket book.

It'll be true as long as the $ is so low.

They're not silver age, but nearly every golden age Barks duck book that I sell winds up in Norway, Sweden, Germany, etc. Okay, they're not high grade, but obviously still desirable.

Also Canadians buy most of my cheap stuff(thrifty or cheap lol).

I agree with the original poster in that about 1/4 of my books are going overseas. Which of course makes me scratch my head about people who won't sell/ship out of the U.S. :screwy:

And look at Ian Levine... Say what you will about the other complete DC collections out there, but one of the most complete (if not THE most complete) DC collections is not in the US.

And look at Ian Levine... Say what you will about the other complete DC collections out there, but one of the most complete (if not THE most complete) DC collections is not in the US.

I'd rather not look at Ian Levine. :sick:

I personally think it is great for the hobby. It means that the collector base as a whole is growing, well maybe not growing exponentially but at least a portion of the foreign market is buying back issues.

A worldwide market can only add longevity to the hobby on some level.

Ze-

I agree as a collector of a hobby older comics that to put it bluntly is not mainstream I like buzz around SA stuff but I also like the fact that vintage comic books are a niche thing, although I would like it if the only people I know personally that were into comics weren't my uncle. Which is why I go on these boards.

rantrant