• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Number of new young comic buyers/readers due to Marvel's Movies/Ultimate line?

How many new young buyers/readers (15yo and under) has Marvel's Movies and Ultimate line brought into the hobby?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. How many new young buyers/readers (15yo and under) has Marvel's Movies and Ultimate line brought into the hobby?

17 posts in this topic

I bey plenty of kids who saw these shows and movies are now playing superhero video games.

Reading comic books on the other hand?... confused-smiley-013.gif

As expensive as comics are they are still cheaper to buy than a superhero video game or movie. I bet Mom and Dad are more likely to cough up $2.25 to a nagging little brat to buy a comic than $20-25 for a video game or movie. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

As expensive as comics are they are still cheaper to buy than a superhero video game or movie. I bet Mom and Dad are more likely to cough up $2.25 to a nagging little brat to buy a comic than $20-25 for a video game or movie. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Maybe, but let's compare apples to apples. My local store has comics, along with DVD/VHS and cart game rentals, All around the same price, and you can guess which aisles are clogged with kids.

It's all to do with relative value, and even a comic fans can see a full day PS2 game rental as being far superior to a single comic book. For the same cash outlay, would I rather watch Lord of the Rings or buy the latest Wolverine comic? No contest, give me a DVD rental anyday.

Sure, you *own* the comic book, but you also get longer "play time" with a game or DVD rental. Unless you're a really slow reader. 27_laughing.gif

Maybe, but let's compare apples to apples. My local store has comics, along with DVD/VHS and cart game rentals, All around the same price, and you can guess which aisles are clogged with kids.

It's all to do with relative value, and even a comic fans can see a full day PS2 game rental as being far superior to a single comic book. For the same cash outlay, would I rather watch Lord of the Rings or buy the latest Wolverine comic? No contest, give me a DVD rental anyday.

Sure, you *own* the comic book, but you also get longer "play time" with a game or DVD rental. Unless you're a really slow reader. 27_laughing.gif

Renting DVDs and Video games are around $4 (at least where I am currently located) so comics are still cheaper and a parent is saving money from the start. However, lets say that you initially might get more bang for your buck if you rent a DVD or Video instead of buying a comic. Later, after a few months go by you can reread the comic and you would have to pay again to rent the same DVD or Video game the second time. Plus you can buy the next issue of ASM or whatever and continue your journey into comic heaven whereas you have to wait another 2 years for the next ASM DVD or Video game. acclaim.gifgrin.gif

Renting DVDs and Video games are around $4 (at least where I am currently located)

Then you should either move or shop around.

I'm assuming that's USD? Here the new releases DVDs are $3.50 CAD ($2.50 USD), the brand new video games are the same, and the "out for a month" games are a buck. All Kids DVDs are $1.99 CAD and the older DVD/VHS rentals are $0.99 CAD.

That's pretty equivalent pricing, if not weighted towards the games/DVDs. The comic shelf is also right beside the outer DVD aisle, and the owner actually keeps it there for sentimental reasons than anything else. He told me that as long as he can return 'em, it's no skin off his nose.

When it comes to perceived value... Joe_Collector is absolutely right.

Comics can not hold a candle to the perceived value that video games and DVDs hold.

A videogame rental occupies a child for hours, in some cases days. Ditto for a DVD rental.

A good book, retail $7-20 can also occupy a child for hours.

However, a comic book, retailing at $2-3 occupies a child for what, all of 15-20 minutes - at most - usually 5-10 minutes.

So in order to match the 1.5 - 2 hours spent watching a DVD or the 3-10 hours spent playing a video game, the parent has to buy.... oh... anywhere from 6 ($12-18) to a whopping 40+ ($80-120) comics to occupy a child for the same time period.

Everything else wins hands down. I still say you are probably better off buying the kid that Ultimate Spider-Man tpb for $10-15 and it should take the kid the same amount of time to read that as it would for them to watch a DVD... but the DVD rental is going to be about $6-12 cheaper than the tpb.

Kev

When it comes to perceived value... Joe_Collector is absolutely right.

Comics can not hold a candle to the perceived value that video games and DVDs hold.

A videogame rental occupies a child for hours, in some cases days. Ditto for a DVD rental.

A good book, retail $7-20 can also occupy a child for hours.

However, a comic book, retailing at $2-3 occupies a child for what, all of 15-20 minutes - at most - usually 5-10 minutes.

So in order to match the 1.5 - 2 hours spent watching a DVD or the 3-10 hours spent playing a video game, the parent has to buy.... oh... anywhere from 6 ($12-18) to a whopping 40+ ($80-120) comics to occupy a child for the same time period.

Everything else wins hands down. I still say you are probably better off buying the kid that Ultimate Spider-Man tpb for $10-15 and it should take the kid the same amount of time to read that as it would for them to watch a DVD... but the DVD rental is going to be about $6-12 cheaper than the tpb.

Kev

Very good arguments for getting DVD or Video game. However, I think a lot of parents will still buy the comics because while reading (keyword: reading) them the kid is expanding his language and vocabulary skills as well as his/her imagination causing creative thought whereas watching a DVD or playing a video game is just mind numbing fun. makepoint.gifgrin.gif

Renting DVDs and Video games are around $4 (at least where I am currently located)

Then you should either move or shop around.

I'm assuming that's USD? Here the new releases DVDs are $3.50 CAD ($2.50 USD), the brand new video games are the same, and the "out for a month" games are a buck. All Kids DVDs are $1.99 CAD and the older DVD/VHS rentals are $0.99 CAD.

That's pretty equivalent pricing, if not weighted towards the games/DVDs. The comic shelf is also right beside the outer DVD aisle, and the owner actually keeps it there for sentimental reasons than anything else. He told me that as long as he can return 'em, it's no skin off his nose.

Yup, USD. I go to Hollywood video which is sort of the same as Blockbuster. New release DVD rental is about $4.25 (get $1 credit if you bring back next day). Not positive about video games because I don't play them, but I assume it is same price.

Yeah, ok.

When I'm at the comic shop, the only parents I know of who buy comics for kids do so because the kids need/want something to read at camp - and what they buy are exclusively a) Archie digests @$2 CAD each or b) Simpsons comics @ cover price. They aren't buying Jr. the latest issue of Amazing.

Occasionally a parent will buy Jr. a gift certificate at the store for a present. 99% of the time Jr. is going to use that gift certificate to buy collectible card games, not comics.

All of the other kids I know, cousins, neices, nephews, neighbourhood kids, wouldn't ask their parent to buy them a comic book if their life depended on it. And the parents wouldn't buy them for the kid out of the blue. But if they did, they can't - because there aren't any comics around to purchase at the places where the parent would be shopping. The parent would have to want to buy a comic in advance, locate a comic shop, then make a special trip to that shop. Once they are in the shop they would have to make an uninformed decision on what to buy Jr. based on what they think Jr. might like to read. The comic shop owner isn't going to be much help because most of his comic book customers are adults. He'll probably recommend USM or something based on a video game or a cartoon.

Kev

When I'm at the comic shop, the only parents I know of who buy comics for kids do so because the kids need/want something to read at camp - and what they buy are exclusively a) Archie digests @$2 CAD each or b) Simpsons comics @ cover price. They aren't buying Jr. the latest issue of Amazing.

All of the other kids I know, cousins, neices, nephews, neighbourhood kids, wouldn't ask their parent to buy them a comic book if their life depended on it.

I wouldn't have bought an Archie or Simpson comic if my life depended on it either when I was a young buck (still wouldn't). insane.giftonofbricks.gif Now put an ASM, X-men, Thor, Hulk, or Ironman in front of me then we are talking. thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

Me neither....

But young girls like the Archie Digests (they are allowed to come in and exchange them once they have read them). Some of them have transferred their interest to the Manga digests and buy them with their own money.

The young boys really like Simpsons and Futurama comics because they like the tv series and the comics, while done in the house style, are generally pretty funny offerings for that age group. They usually steer clear of everything else, but some of them do flip thru the latest Marvel and DC offerings. Most aren't inclined to pick them up... but if they get anything it's USM.

It's funny, but pretty much only adults buy Batman Adventures, JLA Adventures, etc.

Kev

I believe that the ability of this hobby to acquire new "recruits" will depend in part on the ability of the current generation enjoying this hobby to pass it on.

So, give a kid a comic book today! Let's pass the torch on....

The challenges: today's generation want it quick, they want it now, and they want it free. (case in point: napster)

All I can say is that the DC launch of Teen Titans GO series may well do a nice bit of moving some of the younger generation into collecting. The cartoon appeared first, and now the launch of the comic book. Smart thinking DC ! My ten year old loves the show, and so does his best friend. When I brought home the comic book for each of them they went NUTSO! Of course the comic book is written in the style of the cartoon, and same artistry which means its theme is a bit more driven towards kids as opposed to say Avengers, or Thor or Iron Man, but whatever the case, they are at least reading comic books. Let's hope it sticks!

popcorn.gif

Good point Sterling. One way to do this is by giving away comics instead of/along with treats on Halloween. A collector friend (silvermine) has been doing this for the past few years and now kids from outside of his neighbourhood come looking for his house specifically when they are out trick or treating. There are a couple of local stores who give him the comics for only a dime apiece, which probably works out to less than the extra amount he would have had to spend on candy. How many other message board members give out comics at Halloween? I will be doing the same this year when my wife and I move into our new house.