• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How many serious collectors who have the resources to spend $5,000+ /comic book?

How many serious collectors exist who have $5,000+ to spend on a single comic book from the BA, SA, GA etc...?  

102 members have voted

1. 1. How many serious collectors exist who have $5,000+ to spend on a single comic book from the BA, SA, GA etc...?

12 posts in this topic

This is tough because you have dealer/collectors,total speculators that may not even be playing with their own money, and a trend I'm begiining to see more and more of as people are trading in their collections for a few hi priced books-ie trading a nice run of JLA 11-200 for a super copy of BB28 and things like that. I have to think we are talking about at least 1,000 people,maybe double. I have no research to support this ,just a gut feeling.

This is tough because you have dealer/collectors,total speculators that may not even be playing with their own money, and a trend I'm begiining to see more and more of as people are trading in their collections for a few hi priced books-ie trading a nice run of JLA 11-200 for a super copy of BB28 and things like that. I have to think we are talking about at least 1,000 people,maybe double. I have no research to support this ,just a gut feeling.

Good point. I know I would trade my entire collection for a Amazing Fantasy #15 in CGC 9.2 or better. Easier to deal with in a 1 bedroom apartment.

Good point. I know I would trade my entire collection for a Amazing Fantasy #15 in CGC 9.2 or better. Easier to deal with in a 1 bedroom apartment.

One of the many magazines I read this last year had an article on what to do when you turn 30 and it suggested selling all your old comics and bb cards and buying one or two that would fit in a saftey deposit box- boys collect comics,men make investment sort of logic.

Are we talking about 5,000? I would say easy 10K, easy. Especially when you include dealers - I figure it like this, if there was a copy of an AF 15 in cgc 9.2 that was available for $5K (not the current market rate, but let's say that you get lucky so to speak) I would guarantee that at least 10K could throw that kind of money together and get the killer book.

DAM

There's a difference between can purchase and bankrupt yourself to purchase... if you only make $60k or $70k a year you can "afford" to spend $5k on a book... it might be the only book you buy that year, or one of maybe two... but to me, if you spend $10k a year (and on the above salary that's netting on take home probably like $40 after taxes), that's 25%... if you're spending that much of your income on comics, I think you're spending too much.

On the other hand, Americans spend all the time, and they spend sometimes what they don't have putting everything they have into one area... but that's why this is a hobby for me, not investments or a second job. The money I spend is "entertainment dollars" so since I don't really excessively drink or blow money on other things (except sporting events, the movies and eating out) my source of entertainment is comics.

I think the problem with this survey as postulated is that having "$5k" isn't all that much to spend on comics... I think maybe we should rephrase to, has $5k and has it in disposable income... and I think the numbers would drop preciptously (sp?)

The problem with the question lies in the fact that some people buy 5,000 dollar comics and then one of two things could easily happen:

They flip it down the road a bit

They get cold feet about spending that much and dump it

So perhaps you should qualify the statement b/c someone who is looking to flip the book can TECHNICALLY buy a 5k book but I'd think you were looking for who can BUY the 5k book AND hold on to it.

Brian

I figure it like this, if there was a copy of an AF 15 in cgc 9.2 that was available for $5K (not the current market rate, but let's say that you get lucky so to speak) I would guarantee that at least 10K could throw that kind of money together and get the killer book.

DAM

A very bad anology since there would obviously be a rush of buyers for a book priced at 5K that is really worth closer to 50K.

My take on the question, is that we are looking for the numbers of comic book COLLECTORS that could comfortably lay down 5K on a book and not expect to get it back (ie keep it for their collection indefinately).

I would bet there are less than 1K prepared to do that.

A very bad anology since there would obviously be a rush of buyers for a book priced at 5K that is really worth closer to 50K.

No joke. That's like asking who has a $5K to invest in return for $50K in a week.

My take on the question, is that we are looking for the numbers of comic book COLLECTORS that could comfortably lay down 5K on a book and not expect to get it back (ie keep it for their collection indefinately).

Yep, those who would pay $5K for a single comic, at current market rates, and then be prepared to sit on it indefinitely. I could, but for obvious reasons, I won't.

Yep, those who would pay $5K for a single comic, at current market rates, and then be prepared to sit on it indefinitely. I could, but for obvious reasons, I won't.

The question was intended to get an idea of how many people out there that are serious collectors have readily available $5,000+ to spend if for example a copy of ASM# 136 CGC 10.0 with White pages came up for auction. I figure there are at least 300+ dealers with that kind of money to throw around on 1 comic. Judging from Ebay there are probably another 200+ collectors who throw that kind of money around on a regular basis. I don't know about individual investors/speculators who buy just to flip, but lets say another 200+. Which of these groups am I underestimating? Are there thousands of dealers, collectors, investors/speculators? I don't think so, but then again I don't think there are 10,000+ copies of Hulk #181 in high grade. So I am probably wrong on my assumptions. insane.gifpopcorn.gif

No joke. That's like asking who has a $5K to invest in return for $50K in a week.

Well then surely you would agree they all have the resources to $5000 on a comic book, no? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

We're all trying to get a better grasp on the question, but in a literal sense it serves the purpose of supporting my number of $10K+

DAM

Well then surely you would agree they all have the resources to $5000 on a comic book, no? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

We're all trying to get a better grasp on the question, but in a literal sense it serves the purpose of supporting my number of $10K+

DAM

Your analogy negates the fact that you are talking about a comic book, because the example is such an extemely easy way to make a huge $$$ return.

A much better analogy would have been to consider how many people would be willing buy a copy of AF #15 in F+ for $5K.

Do you still have an answer of 10,000+? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif