• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mini Contest

193 posts in this topic

His first appearance was July 14, 1933 in the cartoon Popeye the Sailor ... In one of the cartoons, Popeye is shown eating garlic to make him strong. This takes place in Roman times so that spinach is the main modern source of Popeye's power.

His first appearance was July 14, 1933 in the cartoon Popeye the Sailor ... In one of the cartoons, Popeye is shown eating garlic to make him strong. This takes place in Roman times so that spinach is the main modern source of Popeye's power.

That's all mess up.

In the original Segar strip, Popeye did not like spinach. The original cartoons were made by Fleischer Studios :cloud9: , and from day 1 his character loved spinach and it gave him enormous strength. The cartoon to which you refer, Greek Mirthology was made by Paramount :sick: in 1954. It shows a flashback sequence (akin to a Modern age comic re-writing history) where his ancestor Hercules sniffed garlic for strength but then discovered spinach worked better. I should mention that Hercules was drawn just like Popeye.

At no time was Popeye ever a garlic sniffer. :sumo:

Oh - and to that cartoon-lovin' fool Nik and anybody else, the original Fleischer cartoons are finally out on DVD; supposed to be a very well done restored set. I haven't seen it yet but look forward to it.

(Fleischer Studios also made those great Superman cartoons and employed Jack Kirby for a bit; I believe Popeye was one of the series he worked on.)

That's all mess up.

In the original Segar strip, Popeye did not like spinach. The original cartoons were made by Fleischer Studios :cloud9: , and from day 1 his character loved spinach and it gave him enormous strength. The cartoon to which you refer, Greek Mirthology was made by Paramount :sick: in 1954. It shows a flashback sequence (akin to a Modern age comic re-writing history) where his ancestor Hercules sniffed garlic for strength but then discovered spinach worked better. I should mention that Hercules was drawn just like Popeye.

At no time was Popeye ever a garlic sniffer. :sumo:

Oh - and to that cartoon-lovin' fool Nik and anybody else, the original Fleischer cartoons are finally out on DVD; supposed to be a very well done restored set. I haven't seen it yet but look forward to it.

(Fleischer Studios also made those great Superman cartoons and empolyed Jack kirby for a bit; I believe Popeye was one of the series he worked on.)

Dude knows his stuff :sumo:

Max and Dave Fleischer :cloud9::luhv: The early Popeye cartoons are an unparalleled accomplishment. :banana:

Midnight tonight is dealine for guessing grades, after that time expires it does not matter what guesses come in.

I have not received the books back but am expecting them real soon. As soon as they come I will announce the grades received and the winner.