• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper no more..............

Was selling my copper run to start silver a bad or good move?  

486 members have voted

1. 1. Was selling my copper run to start silver a bad or good move?

317 posts in this topic

high grade is one thing. but a specific number, "9.8" which is usually BS anyways as shown in multiple pressing threads, that is another thing all together

What does this even mean? It's totally incoherent, even for you.

The red writing is what caught my eye. For someone like me that has went through over 250 high grade books weeding out anything with spine dings and rough edges or blunted for that matter. Keeping only the sharp corners with minimal fuzziness and got about a 94% ratio on my 9.8 pre-screening as the books looked perfect, I'd have to strongly disagree with this statement.

Richard

high grade is one thing. but a specific number, "9.8" which is usually BS anyways as shown in multiple pressing threads, that is another thing all together

The red writing is what caught my eye. For someone like me that has went through over 250 high grade books weeding out anything with spine dings and rough edges or blunted for that matter. Keeping only the sharp corners with minimal fuzziness and got about a 94% ratio on my 9.8 pre-screening as the books looked perfect, I'd have to strongly disagree with this statement.

Richard

well at least you understood my point.

but what exactly do you disagree with? that it has been proven that many supposedly high grade books are in fact pressed, trimmed or manipulated in some way to achive those grades?

that is what i was referring to when i said, “which is usually bs anyways as shown in multiple pressing threads”

Richard

but what exactly do you disagree with? that it has been proven that many supposedly high grade books are in fact pressed, trimmed or manipulated in some way to achive those grades?

that is what i was referring to when i said, “which is usually bs anyways as shown in multiple pressing threads”

Just disagreeing with your saying that a 9.8 which is usually BS anyways.

I agree Monstro that there have been some issues but for the vast majority of 9.8's that are out there they are not BS.

CGC isn't perfect but they have put together the best that we currently have available in terms of 3rd party grading and I for one like the assurance that there is a structured grading system.

Now that said I am currently buying my ASM201-300 run all in 9.8 and 9.9. Am I a label chaser???

I don't think so. I just see rare books that I've read as a child in pristine condition and wanted to put together a set. Since I've enjoyed the books already and have read every book in that run and books before it from ASM bronze I have no need to access the books to read them again or I have raw copies that I read once in a while.

Collecting is for the fun of the hobby. If you don't enjoy what you collect then what the hell are you collecting for I say.

It's fine to express an opinion as MK has asked but try to remain a bit less accusing towards his collecting styles.

Richard

I think the competitiveness between the collectors in this site pushing to get past the next person's set leaves the impression that a lot of us are label chasers as we are driving to best our fellow collector's set.

And because of the competition we do have ridiculously high graded books.

Richard

Just disagreeing with your saying that a 9.8 which is usually BS anyways.

I agree Monstro that there have been some issues but for the vast majority of 9.8's that are out there they are not BS.

CGC isn't perfect but they have put together the best that we currently have available in terms of 3rd party grading and I for one like the assurance that there is a structured grading system.

Now that said I am currently buying my ASM201-300 run all in 9.8 and 9.9. Am I a label chaser???

I don't think so. I just see rare books that I've read as a child in pristine condition and wanted to put together a set. Since I've enjoyed the books already and have read every book in that run and books before it from ASM bronze I have no need to access the books to read them again or I have raw copies that I read once in a while.

Collecting is for the fun of the hobby. If you don't enjoy what you collect then what the hell are you collecting for I say.

It's fine to express an opinion as MK has asked but try to remain a bit less accusing towards his collecting styles.

Richard

fair enough (thumbs u

Just to be clear in my understanding from your statement,

Are you saying that a 9.8 grade is a BS grade? or are you implying that a 9.8 book has been pressed, trimmed or some form of manipulation to achieve that grade.

it was a side bar comment.

what i meant was, i personally do not trust, mainly silver or gold super high grade books that have been labeled 9.6, 9.8 by CGC due to the threads revealing manipulation which produces those high grades and have slipped by CGC. trimming pressing, etc.

and i honestly don’t know how any of you do.

i don't give a rat’s azz what anyone collects. but i will always despise people collecting for the number on the top of the slab. in my opinion that is not comic collecting at all.

Yes...........No..........

The difference is that as a copper collector, 10K would be the end of it. With SA X-Men in 9.6+, 10K is just a drop in the bucket and he's already fine with the idea of having at least 30K+ tied up in books(and that's just for issues 30-66).

But whatever, it's not my money.

-------------------------------------------------------

As a guy who used to be in his 20s in NYC, you can blow a lot of money on fun and games in this town (yes, I know, the same could said of other places, but seriously, $15 for a vodka and seltzer?). $500+ in a night of drinking and strip club hopping is easy. If he isn't living that kind of lifestyle on the side, he can buy some real expensive funny books and be no worse off than the bulk of the 20something-hair slicked back-too much gel in there-scuzbags working on wall street cold calling little old ladies to sell them penny stocks for a dime.

i don't give a rat’s azz what anyone collects. but i will always despise people collecting for the number on the top of the slab. in my opinion that is not comic collecting at all.

Well golly gee. If you said you dont give a rats azz what anyone collects then why bother saying anything after that statement?

Oh, and I despise people who despise other people.

:/

Ze-

like i said i wouldn't expect the CGC gang to agree with me, but he asked. are we being sensitive or something?

and it's not the person i dispise, it's the collecting style

hm

obviously there are many true 9.6 and 9.8 books out there. but i would personally not pay the premium when CGC has been proven to have been duped before and will re-grade the same book knowing full well it has been manipulated.

Well golly gee. If you said you dont give a rats azz what anyone collects then why bother saying anything after that statement?

Oh, and I despise people who despise other people.

:/

Ze-

like i said i wouldn't expect the CGC gang to agree with me, but he asked. are we being sensitive or something?

and it's not the person i dispise, it's the collecting style

hm

yup, you cought me on that one. i retract that statement. i do not dispise the person, just the collecting style.

you realise this makes absolutely no sense, when carried out to its logical conclusion. not to mention that MK frequently swapped out books for ones with nicer eye appeal

And here comes Sal with all his fancy "logic".

It's like the guys that bought Ditko/Kirby and Romita OA for $20 a page 25 years ago and sold for thousands and thousands. How could someone getting in the market today EVER compete with that kind of war chest?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Go manage a hedge fund. I hear they do well.

OR...tap into that equity in your home!

The difference is that as a copper collector, 10K would be the end of it. With SA X-Men in 9.6+, 10K is just a drop in the bucket and he's already fine with the idea of having at least 30K+ tied up in books(and that's just for issues 30-66).

But whatever, it's not my money.

-------------------------------------------------------

As a guy who used to be in his 20s in NYC, you can blow a lot of money on fun and games in this town (yes, I know, the same could said of other places, but seriously, $15 for a vodka and seltzer?). $500+ in a night of drinking and strip club hopping is easy. If he isn't living that kind of lifestyle on the side, he can buy some real expensive funny books and be no worse off than the bulk of the 20something-hair slicked back-too much gel in there-scuzbags working on wall street cold calling little old ladies to sell them penny stocks for a dime.

Free Vodka and Red Bull the first hour :cool:

you realise this makes absolutely no sense, when carried out to its logical conclusion. not to mention that MK frequently swapped out books for ones with nicer eye appeal

it's a curse.

it's a curse.

Not to mention that some of those books MK paid $11 for used to cost $2. hm