• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper no more..............

Was selling my copper run to start silver a bad or good move?  

486 members have voted

1. 1. Was selling my copper run to start silver a bad or good move?

317 posts in this topic

:makepoint:

Spidey is cooler than Nightcrawler? (shrug)

Define cooler

Arex = cool...nik = cooler
:banana:

Arex, it was supposed to read. Arex = tool... Nik = cool

Sorry, it was a typo originally, Greggy was not used to typing real words.

:foryou:

however, if you were getting into the hobby now, you have no experiential frame of reference to go by. it's like people nowadays who don't blink paying eleven bucks for a movie ticket. if they weren't around when they were 2 bucks - or cheaper - the price doesn't seem out of whack at all

What the books cost 20 years ago doesn't change the fact that hundreds -- if not thousands of dollars -- for single HG books today are a substantial barrier to entry to most people and make it pretty difficult to start a "collection."

I was shocked by the unexpected sale of Doctor Watson's silver X-Men collection. And I was doubly shocked by Danny's decision to sell of his amazing collection of copper-age X-Men to fund the beginning of his silver-age X-Men collection. I initially shared many of the same concerns voiced by others in this thread and others; is this collecting ADD, could he have kept his CA run, can he afford to collect HG silver-age books?

But, I have talked "collecting" with Danny for years and I think he made the right move. The 9.8 copy of X-Men 35 featuring Spider-Man is a truly scarce item and makes his actions totally understandable. (He got some other nice books as well. (thumbs u) He would have been unable to get the 35 unless he sold his CA X-books so he courageously, and I think wisely, pulled the trigger. He could not have kept his collection and got the 35.

And it wasn't ADD, he had been thinking about SA books for some time. The timing of this sale had more to do with the sudden availability of Doc's books. I really think Danny's actions had more to do with "maturation" than ADD.

Danny is on a tighter budget than any other HG silver-age X-collector and he will be faced with a lot of tough decisions in the future when beautiful books become available that he can't afford. But, I think that he has the patience and self-discipline to be happy buying 1-2 books a year. And if he ultimately decides that SA X-Men isn't his bag, he could easily sell the gems he bought.

I have recently turned to submitting books for 9.8s as a low-budget way to fund my own HG interests, and danny has a keen eye for raw books so he could probably replace his CA X-books if he decides he needs a low-budget way to scratch his collecting itch every now and then.

Congrats, Danny!

Is it generally safe to assume that mid to late copper books supply is atleast equal to the current supply of asm 300s?

For 300 in the census we have:

9.9 x3

9.8 x146

9.6 x763

9.4 x967

9.2 x670

9.0 x473

It is fairly safe to assume people would be motivated to have their high grade asm 300 graded (although my dad does still have 4 high grade raw copies...). On the other hand, there is little motivation to have most other copper nonkeys graded... so that produces a false sense of low supply effectively inflating prices. It looks like people are only having their nonkey coppers graded if they think they can get a 9.8.

Looking at a random Uncanny X-Men issue (157) here is what we see:

9.8 x60

9.6 x53

9.4 x38

9.2 x3

9.0 x5

While I haven't had a thorough look at other issues, I am sure we would see a constant pattern, people are submitting copper nonkeys trying to get a 9.8, and are generally keeping them raw if 9.8 is not reachable.

I realize I haven't introduced something that everyone doesn't already know, but still, it is solid proof that you did the right thing financially by selling off your run. Hey, you still have your award from CGC.

So, selling off your run wasn't a bad idea as in the long run their value will eventually level off... then decline. You likely sold them off at or near their peak so you did well and I'm sure you had fun along the way.

maybe a better comparison to the asm 300... see x-men 256

9.8 x36

9.6 x56

9.4 x21

9.2 x16

9.0 x8

I would expect there to be atleast another 100 9.8s out there, but I wouldn't be surprised if there were 1000.

I was shocked by the unexpected sale of Doctor Watson's silver X-Men collection. And I was doubly shocked by Danny's decision to sell of his amazing collection of copper-age X-Men to fund the beginning of his silver-age X-Men collection. I initially shared many of the same concerns voiced by others in this thread and others; is this collecting ADD, could he have kept his CA run, can he afford to collect HG silver-age books?

But, I have talked "collecting" with Danny for years and I think he made the right move. The 9.8 copy of X-Men 35 featuring Spider-Man is a truly scarce item and makes his actions totally understandable. (He got some other nice books as well. (thumbs u) He would have been unable to get the 35 unless he sold his CA X-books so he courageously, and I think wisely, pulled the trigger. He could not have kept his collection and got the 35.

And it wasn't ADD, he had been thinking about SA books for some time. The timing of this sale had more to do with the sudden availability of Doc's books. I really think Danny's actions had more to do with "maturation" than ADD.

Danny is on a tighter budget than any other HG silver-age X-collector and he will be faced with a lot of tough decisions in the future when beautiful books become available that he can't afford. But, I think that he has the patience and self-discipline to be happy buying 1-2 books a year. And if he ultimately decides that SA X-Men isn't his bag, he could easily sell the gems he bought.

I have recently turned to submitting books for 9.8s as a low-budget way to fund my own HG interests, and danny has a keen eye for raw books so he could probably replace his CA X-books if he decides he needs a low-budget way to scratch his collecting itch every now and then.

Congrats, Danny!

Great post :cloud9: Thanks Steve (thumbs u

however, if you were getting into the hobby now, you have no experiential frame of reference to go by. it's like people nowadays who don't blink paying eleven bucks for a movie ticket. if they weren't around when they were 2 bucks - or cheaper - the price doesn't seem out of whack at all

Yep, that example definitely works for vintage comics that were $2 and now cost $11.

Especially considering that I suspect many of the people that Danny will be competing against are people that are very deep pocketed and/or built up huge HG war chests long before CGC and have been collecting off of the CGC "profits" ever since. In effect, many of these people did not build their collections for CASH at top market value like Danny will have to do.

If I had to start out collecting comics today with nothing, I don't think I'd even start.

Well, on a modest budget, you could do quite well going through the $1 bin or the 3 for $1 bins.

Andy