• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tales from the crypt hardcovers

16 posts in this topic

just wanted to let everyone know i received my TFTC hardcover books today,a helluva good buy!highly reccomended to anyone who is a fan.there are 5 hardcovers reprinting every issue in a nice slipcase.i got them from a fellow forum member at a great price,now i just need the time to read all of them!

just wanted to let everyone know i received my TFTC hardcover books today,a helluva good buy!highly reccomended to anyone who is a fan.there are 5 hardcovers reprinting every issue in a nice slipcase.i got them from a fellow forum member at a great price,now i just need the time to read all of them!

Let me echo that - these sets are really worth the money!! HOURS of great reading!!!

I want to get the hardcover sets of Wierd Science and / or Wierd Science Fantasy

DAM

these are the b/w white oversized reprints, right? I picked them up as they came out and read through them. I hadnt read too many of the mythically awesome EC comics until then. And I remember while being suitably impressed with the quality of writing and especially the artwork, that I was surprisingly disappointed that I had guessed many of the endings. I chalked that up to my having read them 30 years after they were written, and that I had seen similar plot themes and ideas since then, not that they were badly written or obvious...just that by the time I read them, they were. Growing up on the subsequent Twilight Zone trained a lot of us to look for the surprise ending in the setup of the storyline.

The other thing I noticed was that as cool and well-reprinted as the black&white reproductions were to look at, and how beautifully they revealed amazing line and brush work hidden in the original newsprint releases.... I wished I could have been reading them as actual color newsprint comic books!!! Which is exactly what Gemstone/Diamond did years later in the 90s.

I hope I wrote this well enough so it doesnt read like Im putting the ECs dow. There are IMO the single best line of comics ever produced. Not every one, but the average quality and level of professionalism far surpasses all that came before or since. I wish I was ten years older so I could have been buying and reading them every month.

i wasnt reffering to the regular B&W reprints that were realeased a few years ago.this is a 5 edition hardcover set that was just released.each hardcover contains 5 issues reprinted in B&W along with full color covers and interior covers.the slip case is beautiful,having a full color cover on each side.teh books also have a full colorcover and rear cover.email me and i will send you a pic if interested.

These sure sound like the Russ Cochran reprints that came out in the early 1980's. Russ did the whole line of New Trend and New Direction titles. He even did some of the Pre-Trends (romance/western/crime). There were 17 sets consisting of 62 books. Mad (the first 23 comic book issues) was published in color and in b&w. The b&w Mad set had a very low print run as Cochran''s agreement with Gaines required him to put out a b&w version. I think the Two-Fisted Tales set and the Friontline Combat sets are out of print.

Most sets have have been kept in print over the years and I know later editions have had corrections not in the original editions. I haven't checked, but the recent printings might even have Gemstone on them. (Gemstone was not involved in the original publication. Gemstone later "absorbed" Cochran's business.)

The amazing thing is that Gaines had kept almost all of the original art, and Russ sold the EC art for Gaines but couldn't sell any book until it had been printed. For original art collectors this was the motherload and In the 1980's I made many trips down to Russ's to look at the art before they went up for sale. Notable absent was Frazetta's Squeeze Play, which Gaines kept in the valut in NY, Gaines directly sent the art to the high bidder.

Gary J.

I forgot to put in the link to the eBay auction. It shows a nice picture of the set from a couple of angles.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2192030345&category=70

Sorry about that.

By the way, what is PM, and do I need to do something to accept them? I'm new to this and I've noticed other people talking about PMing someone.

Gary J.

Those are the sets that I was originally talking about. Russ Cochran started putting them out in the early 1980's. The first printings have long since sold out and Gemstone is keeping them in print.

They are wonderful books and I recommend to everone. However, if you prefer color, you can always get the 1990's color reprints. But there is nothing that replaces the ambience of holding an original EC in your hand and reading it. I get more enjoyment out of my vg/fn "reading" copies than I would out of a high-grade slabbed copy.

Gary J.

ECFANMAN