• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guilty conscience

Guilt  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Guilt

255 posts in this topic

I hate to start this one up again but I had another interesting development.

I tried my "put a minimal bid in and contact the seller about ending it early" idea and things got even more complicated. I got a positive response from the seller to sell the set for about 50% FMV but it took him all day Saturday to cancel the auction. In the mean time - another bidder trumps my low bid. I get a notice that the seller cancelled the auction yesterday morning and I transfered the funds. I look at the bidding history of the item and the other guy had a max bid of $60 on the set I just paid $20 for. I don't know why he sold it to me??

Of course, now I know where all the good sets go to and why there never are any quality low priced sets on e-bay.

I tried my "put a minimal bid in and contact the seller about ending it early" idea and things got even more complicated. I got a positive response from the seller to sell the set for about 50% FMV but it took him all day Saturday to cancel the auction. In the mean time - another bidder trumps my low bid. I get a notice that the seller cancelled the auction yesterday morning and I transfered the funds. I look at the bidding history of the item and the other guy had a max bid of $60 on the set I just paid $20 for. I don't know why he sold it to me??

Of course, now I know where all the good sets go to and why there never are any quality low priced sets on e-bay.

Master the guilt. A conscience is only a split personality that has to be integrated back into the master psyche. Pay the man and go on.

doh!

not casting judgement here, but this whole free-for-all, each man for himself just really irritates the hell out of me. i know for a fact that i would be mighty ticked off if i put in a bid in good faith, using the system in the manner in which it is supposed to be used, only to find out that some somethingorother had wrecked it for me by going outside the rules and contacting the seller directly.

so much for doing the right thing, eh? i guess if it affects your pocketbook in the negative, all bets are off. the only positive about this is that you are now guarandamnteed to have this come back on you.

nice hobby we have here

the only positive about this is that you are now guarandamnteed to have this come back on you.

The other positive is that we are guarandamnteed to have an argument! :popcorn:

the only positive about this is that you are now guarandamnteed to have this come back on you.

shaddup, stretch. fershurginning troublemaker :censored:

Master the guilt. A conscience is only a split personality that has to be integrated back into the master psyche. Pay the man and go on.

Were'nt you just ragging on me about my offer to buy a fellow board members book off ebay? talk about your split personalities doh!

Were'nt you just ragging on me about my offer to buy a fellow board members book off ebay? talk about your split personalities doh!

I have an evil twin. :gossip:

ME! check the other thread.

So does this mean that...

1. You're using eBay to find comics

2. Asking the sellers to cancel their auctions and violate their eBay agreement in order to avoid eBay fees

3. Screwing over any snipe bidders?

I don't know why... but I personally have a small problem with the concept. (shrug)

I disagree. :mad:

whodathunkit. :blahblah: Bring it on if you feel so strongly about it.

2. Asking the sellers to cancel their auctions and violate their eBay agreement in order to avoid eBay fees

I don't know why... but I personally have a small problem with the concept. (shrug)

collectors looking out for other collectors! right? right?

nah. that would be expensive

Actually, his name is MrBedrock Richard. :gossip:

Actually, his name is MrBedrock Richard. :gossip:

MWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Don't want to sound negative but the last thing on my mind is the guy who came second to me with his snipe when I win an EBay auction. Having said that I do think that if a seller is willing to end his auction earlier then he should have a "make an offer" option but I don't have a big problem if someone gets to a book before I do because they asked the seller first. Such is the nature of the game.

Don't want to sound negative but the last thing on my mind is the guy who came second to me with his snipe when I win an EBay auction. Having said that I do think that if a seller is willing to end his auction earlier then he should have a "make an offer" option but I don't have a big problem if someone gets to a book before I do because they asked the seller first. Such is the nature of the game.

You can only "Make a Best Offer" on Buy It Now auctions.

Asking the seller to end an auction is an attempt to circumvent eBay seller fees. It also could be construed as taking advantage of a seller who may not realize that there are many last second Snipe Bidders who can drive the auction price up.

What the original poster could have done was WAIT for the auction to be over... see no bidders and THEN e-mail the seller about selling the item or relisting it with a BUY IT NOW at the agreed price.

That way, eBay gets its money and is able to continue to function as a business, and no one is harmed.

Added: Note that because services like GPANALYSIS record eBay sales, what this does is keep the price of an item HIGHER in the GPANALYSIS database as that sale at 50% of FMV is not recorded.

My thought is - If they want only $20 for a set and don't know enough to set a BIN of $20 - then I will ask if they have a BIN. A surprising number of sellers are happy to get a quick offer and see no bidders until the last second and jump at the chance to sell the books. I don't really care about the e-bay fees but I do hate to see good sets get yanked off e-bay while I have my snipe set and I also love to get a deal. I know I am doing to others what I hate to happen to me but it appears to be the only way to play the "game".

I guess I should just shut my pie-hole and do my own thing or not do it but I really find this an interesting topic.

I guess I should just shut my pie-hole and do my own thing or not do it but I really find this an interesting topic.

It's not interesting...it's just wrong. Wrong attitude that people think this is OK and wrong assumption that anyone would find this type behavior interesting...

Jim