• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forum Sales Thread: Do We Need to Make Returns Mandatory or No?

Returns Mandatory- Disputed Grading  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Returns Mandatory- Disputed Grading

52 posts in this topic

In the sales thread, there have been some issue cropping up of members wanting to return comics sold to them from other members for a variety of reasons. What do the rest of you think? I'm putting a couple polls up just to get things rolling, but like all good threads here, further discussions will better flesh out the issues.

lol I'm lucky in that no one has ever been in the least bit interested in what I have offered, so I guess it's not an issue I need to worry too much about. Regardless, here is one question that didn't fit into a nice "poll" format:

1. What happens if you use the money earned in a sale to purchase another comic, and no longer have the money available to return to the seller. You felt you sold the comic in good faith, graded as accurately as possible, and do not feel there is a legitimate reason to accept the return.

I've sold a lot of models, army surplus, books, and computer hardware on eBay so there isn't the same level of subjectivity on condition as there is with comics. As such, I've included accurate descriptions and photos, and therefore do not accept returns as I am confident in my ability to describe what I'm offering. Comics though... I dunno.

What would you do?

Should refunds include cost of shipping, either direction?

I think that's a great question.

I think if there is a legitimate fault in the product that was not disclosed by the seller and the buyer wants a return, I think a complete return (original sale price, shipping price, and return shipping) should be covered by the seller. After all, if that info had been disclosed, it might have kept the buyer from paying for the item to begin with. No reason the buyer should be inconvienenced for the seller's mistake.

If it's a disputed issue where the seller acted in good faith, I think it would be fair to expect the buyer to receive the original sale and shipping price refund, but cover the shipping to seller.

Just my 2c

lol I'm lucky in that no one has ever been in the least bit interested in what I have offered, so I guess it's not an issue I need to worry too much about. Regardless, here is one question that didn't fit into a nice "poll" format:

1. What happens if you use the money earned in a sale to purchase another comic, and no longer have the money available to return to the seller. You felt you sold the comic in good faith, graded as accurately as possible, and do not feel there is a legitimate reason to accept the return.

I've sold a lot of models, army surplus, books, and computer hardware on eBay so there isn't the same level of subjectivity on condition as there is with comics. As such, I've included accurate descriptions and photos, and therefore do not accept returns as I am confident in my ability to describe what I'm offering. Comics though... I dunno.

What would you do?

I take returns for whatever reason...I want the customer to be happy...haven't had a problem, except twice in about 8 years...once I missed a cut coupon, ...so I refunded and let the person keep the book. I've never been ripped off by a buyer and if I am...well, I'll deal with it.

I wouldn't spend the money until I HEARD the customer was satisfied...but that is just me. Recently I sold a book to a boarder, that was trimmed. I had NO idea...I was not the only person who examined the book, the other person didn't notice it either, it was trimmed in an odd place, there was a miswrap...but I trust the person who bought it. They were really nice about it, they don't collect trimmed books and they are going to list it on Ebay, and I'm going to refund the difference and it was not an inexpensive book. People aren't perfect. I've had thousands of transactions, things are bound to happen, I stand by my sales. I don't want people to be unhappy.

Of course people have to make up their own minds...but I don't buy from sellers who state they take no returns, not comics, not anything...it just makes me queasy...so, perhaps, sellers here, should just state it flat out. No returns...I might still like the person as a person, but I probably would skip buying from them.

No

I agree

Double Ditto

I understand that some have had trouble with a few sellers on the boards and they've shared their stories. Everyone learns from experience. But once you start down this road... at what point do you stop making requirements concerning selling/buying preferences?

It seems it is time for the annual "the cream rises to the top" speech.

The good sellers(and you know who you are :cloud9:) provide excellent service and product and will get repeat business. The bad sellers(yep, they know who they are too (tsk) ) won't get repeat business.

It is a shame that some have been taken with bad service/product lately but the majority of folks are great to do business with. Let's not paint everyone with the same brush due to a few lemons.

And uh, FYI, I have taken returns for any reasons for many years. I just don't see that it needs to be mandatory. Common sense should apply right. If you're spending big bucks with someone you've got to do your homework first...cause even nice families have black sheep. hm

It should be left up to the seller

Gotta agree with you 100% Pirate. (thumbs u

You, me, or anyone can't impose anything on anyone else. If that seller wants to offer a refund, he will. If he doesn't, he probably won't. Would I buy from someone who refused to take returns? Only if he had a book that I really wanted and it wasn't too expensive, sure I'd try him/her out. If it turned out to be a raw deal, I wouldn't deal with the guy again. Simple.

Restoration is a big problem with me, as I'm sure it is with many people. Most people would accept a refund for nearly any reason, and so this would be generally easy to return.

I personally, would take a refund for any book I sold if the buyer wasn't happy. Would I pay for shipping back to me? I would, but don't tell too many people. :gossip:

Andy

Sharon, I'd agree with you on not spending until confirmation has been received as a good remedy.

But what do you do about "buyer's regret"? I'm sure we've run into people who'll dicker over our FN being a VG/FN and be unhappy with the purchase. Isn't there a certain point where the buyer needs to accept a certain amount of grading difference?

I ask this only because when I buy from someone online, I plan on their grading being a little more lax than my own. When it shows up on par or undergraded, then all the better. If not, then no surprise. It just seems like there does need to be some sort of fail-safe for sellers out there. Again, I haven't sold a single item in any of my sales threads and have only played "middle-man" on a couple of items for members so it's not like I'm speaking for my own benefit/experience, but I still can't help but wonder about the seller's POV on this one.

And if the seller is up front about "no returns," I don't think there should be stigma attached to them. It's up to the buyer if he or she wants to take the risk. I've purchased from people who have taken this stance, and it's more about wanting to avoid those buyers who change their minds than actually trying to rip people off.