• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Forum Sales Thread: Do We Need to Make Returns Mandatory or No?

Returns Mandatory- Disputed Grading  

273 members have voted

1. 1. Returns Mandatory- Disputed Grading

52 posts in this topic

What is to stop a buyer from buying a book...hoping for an undergraded (and thus undervalued) book and returning the book even though it is accurately graded? An unscruplous individual could buy higher end books, cherry pick the ones he flip for a quick profit, and then return the others.

I'm all for protecting the buyers, but at some point it starts to interfere with the efficiency of how the marketplace runs.

people off long enough and there'll be no sellers left to buy from. They'll all have the person on a do not sell to list.

hello all...

I don't sell too much (usually just duplicates from up or downgrading), but when I do,returns are no problem at all...after all, it is about moving a comic book from my possession to someone else that wants that book, at a price they are happy with, relative to the stated condition...I am a notorious undergrader (ask anyone that has bought from me)...I rather be way conservative, than loose...I don't think anyone has ever said anything to me, after receiving a book, except "I think this is a 1/2 grade or even full grade or more higher"...however, that said, if someone is not happy, with a cgc or a raw book, send it back (you pay postage though, unless I errored, then I will cover)...just need to be a reasonable period of time (say a week or less)

just my philosophy

rick

I am with Rick, take all returns, seller fault shipping included in return, buyer fault(remorse, grade, ect..) Buyer pays shipping. I have sold thousands of books, and only had a few returns. A couple where my bad, most were not, but I always allow a return no questions asked.

Paul

I certainly would refund any book bought from me if asked. And I'd do partial refunds, and have.

But as far as mandating it for the boards....I don't like that idea.

As was said before, each seller should set his own guidelines.

I agree with CD. I will always stand behind my transactions but each situation depending on the circumstances can be different and I would prefer to handle them as they come.

One problem is the difference between a 9.2 and 9.0 or 8.5 isn't something CGC can figure out too well. As a seller, it's frustrating if a buyer expects tighter than CGC grading, particularly when they're already getting something half price or whatever, plus a refund of shipping both ways. I refund anyway, but I'd like the buyer to state their case just to be sure it's not just buyer's remorse talking. In couple of instances I got the book back and yeah, I missed something or whatever and I was half a grade off, on another I still agreed on my grade.

As a buyer here,I tend to buy the dregs or stuff that is being sold way too cheap, so I'm not going to complain if it's off by a little bit. If I was actually goal oriented in my buying things might be different.

I guess it might also depend on if the scan showed it all. On ebay I had up an old early GA superman with tape, extra staples, chunks out, the pages were showing and they were clearly tan and chipping on the edges. It was sold as a "low grade reader" with the poor condition clearly disclosed and the buyer wanted to return it because of the page quality. I mean, seriously, the book was an obvious wreck, don't give me this nonsense. I refunded $10 out of $85 to cover the cost of shipping and all was happy, but I was not going to refund the whole thing, shipping both ways, etc. and eat my ebay fees. (The buyer wound up buying some more GA from me like 6 months later)

What is to stop a buyer from buying a book...hoping for an undergraded (and thus undervalued) book and returning the book even though it is accurately graded? An unscruplous individual could buy higher end books, cherry pick the ones he flip for a quick profit, and then return the others.

I'm all for protecting the buyers, but at some point it starts to interfere with the efficiency of how the marketplace runs.

people off long enough and there'll be no sellers left to buy from. They'll all have the person on a do not sell to list.

That's not an effective solution or even much of a solution at all. First of all, that is a reactive situation and the sellers already get burned at that point. Second of all, a really resourceful and determined buyer can easily find ways around a do not sell list. Just take a look at all the shills we have on these forums!

Mandatory returns allow for a moral hazard whereby buyers can buy books and return them if there is no easy flipping opportunity or if CGC doesn't grade higher than the advertised grade. Mandating a policy like this is an overreaction to a few unhappy transactions of an otherwise functional marketplace.

Mandatory returns allow for a moral hazard whereby buyers can buy books and return them if there is no easy flipping opportunity

-----------------

Well, presumably the request to send the book back for a return is going to be made right away when you get the books, not after you've listed the book on ebay for a week or sent it to CGC and gotten it back 4 years later (except in the case of undisclosed restoration).

The more likely scenario is (1) hoping for an undergrade and not getting it or (2) realizing that the book could have been bought cheaper elsewhere or (3) expecting tighter than CGC grading all the time.

Honestly, I don't think any of the above happens much here.

hm I'm going to plead "It was late last night and I was tired" :) What I meant by mandatory return policies included in the rules was that seller's should state HAVE a policy and STATE IT up front. This way, as Sharon said, more information available = A Good Thing!

Sorry if I was unclear on this one... doh!