• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Let the Marvel/DC Hero/Villian POLLS begin!

Favorite MARVEL Super Hero  

189 members have voted

1. 1. Favorite MARVEL Super Hero

28 posts in this topic

I almost voted for the Goblin on account of the issues you mentioned, but I started to think about villians and their motivations. What villian has the best motive to be a villian? I dont' have an absolute answer, but I think that Magneto is an interesting villian character. When you think about it, he seems to be more of a misguided mutant, than a villian. The world's view of mutantkind and persecution of mutants has embittered his soul, and instead of exercising tolerance and patience in trying to find ways of working things out, his answer is "ethnic cleansing". Magneto's vision: Cleanse the earth of mankind so that mutantkind can live in peace without fear of persecution. I highly enjoyed the Claremont/Lee issues (X-Men 2nd Series) back in 91, and earlier appearances in the Uncanny series too.

Oh, about the Spider-Man movie Green Goblin, your certainly entitled to your opinion. Personally, I thought that the actor that played the Green Goblin did an exceptional job considering the short span of the movie in comparison to the rich history in the comic books. I thought that he did a good job playing the Dr. Jeykl/Mr. Hyde role of the Goblin. IMO, the mirror scene really proved to be effective in portraying Norman Osbornes insanity. The only thing I found disappointing about the GG in the movie would be the costume. Being a long-time Spider-Man reader, I had hoped to see the costume I knew and loved, but I enjoyed everything else about the movie so much, that the new GG suite almost grew on me...almost. The suite does give somewhat of a tough appearance, and certainly provides more armor, but I would have preferred the original. I could probably learn to appreciate the new suite, but it would require good storytelling that explains (maybe more in pictures than words) to readers the advatages of the new suite. Anyway, my overall opinion of the Spider-man movie is very high, but as evidenced by a lack of response in the Spider-Man DVD thread, it would appear to not be such a hit at this messageboard, which I think is kind of strange. BTW, the co-Creator (Stan Lee) of Spider-Man loved it. "Differnet strokes for different folks", I guess.

hey, i kinda liked the spidey movie too, just not the treatment of gobbie (and the lack of spidey's quips).

willum defoe did a good job on osbourne, but the goblin suit was terrible, especially the mask (looked too big and definately not scary enough)

i can understand the armour thing, but they could have worked that into his original suit.

still after 40 years of spidey comics, you can't expect to get everthing right but they did well overall grin.gif

You bring up an interesting point, I don't think that any of the villians are actually villianous in the classic sense. They all seem to be doing their thing, whatever that is particular to each character, whether maiming, destroying, plotting or just gloating, because they believe that in some way they have been either slighted and are justified to act villianously, or might have just gotten it in their head that their calling in life is wreaking chaos, and they genuinely believe in what approach their taking to acheive that end. Then there's those that are just plain nuts, and as we all know from everyday court cases and the movies, this falls under temporary insanity, eliminating their culpability from villianous acts. So when you say Favorite Villian, do you mean, 'who's the guy you LOVE to Hate'? (much like..... ME!!), or do you mean, 'who do you think is a REAL Pr**k'? (much like..... ME!!)

Methuselah: So when you say Favorite Villian, do you mean, 'who's the guy you LOVE to Hate'? (much like..... ME!!), or do you mean, 'who do you think is a REAL Pr**k'? (much like..... ME!!)

Oh boy, I know how that feels all too well. Why would people hate you or think your a pr**k? You don't have to answer that, I'm sayin' that I doubt that the people you are thinking of are justified IF they do feel that way about you. I don't hate you, and I don't think your a pr**k, looking at OUR star ratings what can I say Meth? We are the Super-Villians on this board laugh.gif We can't help it though we're insane in the brain! crazy.gif

On a more serious note, I like reading your posts Meth, and from what I have read, you are one of the quality posters here, and the fact that you can take flak from other people and still keep on posting shows that you are strong in character, so remember that just because a few people might cause you headaches, there are OTHER people that like reading your comments. wink.gif

Here is something you might be interested in knowing about me. I'm not one of those people that MUST agree to get along, because sometimes I enjoy a good thoughful debate, the key word there though is thoughful. What I cannot stand is when people spew out off the top of their head out of how they feel. I try to keep a cool head to the best of my ability. I would say that most the time I succeed, but sometimes I get a little carried away.

You bring up an interesting point, I don't think that any of the villians are actually villianous in the classic sense. They all seem to be doing their thing, whatever that is particular to each character, whether maiming, destroying, plotting or just gloating, because they believe that in some way they have been either slighted and are justified to act villianously, or might have just gotten it in their head that their calling in life is wreaking chaos, and they genuinely believe in what approach their taking to acheive that end. Then there's those that are just plain nuts, and as we all know from everyday court cases and the movies, this falls under temporary insanity, eliminating their culpability from villianous acts. So when you say Favorite Villian, do you mean, 'who's the guy you LOVE to Hate'? (much like..... ME!!), or do you mean, 'who do you think is a REAL Pr**k'? (much like..... ME!!)

Really, I don't think of Magneto as a "Villain" at all, rather, he is Malcom X, and Professor Xavier is Martin Luther King, Jr.

I wonder if that was a conscious think on the writers part, or if it just evolved that way...or, am I just an insufficiently_thoughtful_person? insane.gif

-Joe