• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

what do you think about this auction?

36 posts in this topic

They read these forums, they hear things. I'm sure they would want to quell any further such talk, and quickly. Erring on the side of caution is the right thing to do.

Cannot agree with that by a long shot. There should be no "erring" on any side. If they cannot be sure if a book is restored they should inform the submittor of the situation and give them the option of having it slabbed as PLOD or having it returned unslabbed and at no cost.

However, on the other side of the coin, all we have at this point is the person saying this is what CGC said to them. So not sure how accurate that is.

But in a situation where a definitive answer cannot be made, erring would be an error.

It's already gotten out into the marketplace that they've missed some resto jobs and given restored books blue labels - I personally know of a couple.

Just curious, what kind of restoration they have missed?

Back to topic...This comic might be a bargain (even if it actually is cleaned)

Especially if sellers statement is correct that this book, if in universal/blue label holder would put it in the $4000-$5000 range.

I think if the book sells for under guide, it is a bargain. To me, cleaned and pressed is the least offensive form of restoration. Many dealers didn't even consider this restoration 10-15 years ago.

I for one wish it wasn't as I would get several books cleaned to get the ugly yellowness gone (which for some reason has very little effect on the grade even though it is part of the aging process).

Regarding, CGC erring on the side of caution, BULL!#!@#.

As I said, INNOCENT until PROVEN GUILTY.

We don't put people in jail (at least I hope) because they might have committed a crime. Only if it is BEYOND a REASONABLE DOUBT. If CGC isn't sure, than that's A DOUBT.

Also, how can anyone win a lawsuit when they clearly state that GRADING is SUBJECTIVE and that they DON'T WARRANT the RESTORATION CHECK?

For some odd reason this hasn't been discussed, it's just as possible that the seller is over exagerating or making up the story to make his book more "sellable". Much like people who say stuff to the tune of "well this is easily better than my CGC 9.4 books, but for some reason it got a 9.0"

Either way, isn't it extremely odd to have WHITE pages on a book of that era?

Brian

For some odd reason this hasn't been discussed, it's just as possible that the seller is over exagerating or making up the story to make his book more "sellable". Much like people who say stuff to the tune of "well this is easily better than my CGC 9.4 books, but for some reason it got a 9.0"

Brian

It's not really that odd because the Church books have "white pages"

CGC only referred that the cover looked to have been cleaned, there is no mention that anything else was done.

Oh, by the way hi Murph0. flowerred.gif

Brian

I brought that up a few posts back ("However, on the other side of the coin, all we have at this point is the person saying this is what CGC said to them. So not sure how accurate that is.") but no one picked up on it.

Bronty's exactly right - no way the PR/marketing "geniuses" at CGC - the same folks behind the CBG ads - would let the words "could be" or "might be" appear on the label! That's far worse than erring on the side of caution - especially when the submitter isn't Heritage, as he points out.

That is one sweet book and if the only issue is that the cover "might have been" cleaned, you could probably buy the book, unslab it, let it "breathe" for a month or two in an open, safe place, and resubmit it to get the universal label. Hell, according to the seller, CGC didn't even mention any of the usual 'telltale' signs of cleaning, such as chemical odor!

Someone should get the serial number and get the full grader's notes on this puppy...this is a controversy waiting for a little kindling and some lighter fluid to really start blazing.

It seems that hkp started his superhero type-set with this book.

IMHO got it for a really nice price.

For comparison: double covered NM Action 76 sold for $3,335 in Heritage auction

Link .

Yup, and PCG the mint bought it, and is selling it for $4350.00

You snooze you loose! sleeping.gifforeheadslap.gif