• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gerber Products Sale!! Updated Again!!

52 posts in this topic

I had thought that halfbacks and fullbacks were coated with 3% calcium carbonate, but I now think that the buffering agent is added to the pulp material prior to being made to boards. So the CaCO3 is throughout the board and there is no additional coating.

Can anyone confirm that? I can't find any info on it. What about my qyestion with 2 books in a bag?

This is from egerber's site:

• Genuine acid-free, virgin wood, cellular fiber.
  • Meets strict U.S. Government standards for archival storage.
  • 3% calcium carbonate buffer throughout, maintains ph of 8.0+.
  • White on both sides.

If you want more specific information, your can contact the manufacturer.

Yep, definitely 1 book per bag. For any number of reasons (spine roll issue as mentioned, plus double-bagging will make it a huge pain to find half your books since they'd be facing the wrong way!).

As I told Jeff, I'm loving these Mylites...I've already used up the supply I ordered last week and am ordering up another huge batch. I bought them specifically for their archival properties, but above all, the books just look so freakin' good in them! You'll get hooked. (:

Jon

Hey Everyone,

I just figured that I would mention on this thread that we extended the sale until today at 4 p.m. EST, and 1 p.m. PST. Just so that the other thread doesnt get buried i figure i post it here in case nobody knew. Thanks,

Jeff

Yep, definitely 1 book per bag. For any number of reasons (spine roll issue as mentioned, plus double-bagging will make it a huge pain to find half your books since they'd be facing the wrong way!).

As I told Jeff, I'm loving these Mylites...I've already used up the supply I ordered last week and am ordering up another huge batch. I bought them specifically for their archival properties, but above all, the books just look so freakin' good in them! You'll get hooked. (:

Jon

I just hate spending so much to bag and board a modern, but at the same time hate to use the lesser (polypro/polyeth) because they would have to be replaced at some point.

I hear you. I guess it depends on the scale of rebagging you're talking about. My collection is pared down to about 1300 books, so rebagging is an easier & cheaper project to tackle, and the idea of "just doing it once and doing it right" is highly appealing.

Honestly I'd probably try to pare down my collection (we've had this chat before methinks) :grin: rather than put thousands of moderns in Mylites... But up to you of course.

My issue, I buy about 30 moderns a month. I have to pare what I have, as I went in feel first and bought 4000 books in one year, possibly a mistake.

Anyway, I plan this to be a life-long hobby, so I want to do this right and only once. I could put the moderns in polypros, but then I would have to rebag, etc in a few years. Tough choice, I should really pare back, but that may prove difficult.