• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Comic Book defect you hate the most!

Which Comic Book Defect Drives You Batty?  

177 members have voted

1. 1. Which Comic Book Defect Drives You Batty?

52 posts in this topic

sign-rantpost.gif

Don't forget the bane of mid-grade Golden Age collectors: TAPE! 893whatthe.gif

Anybody else remember the classic line from mail order pioneer Howard Rogofsky: "Tape is not considered a defect." Even 25 years ago, I thought that was whacked!

Also, there's four votes for missing value stamps...Hulk 181 collectors?

Being a comic reader at the time, I believe that the MVS is part of the comic itself and far removed from a clipped non-story page ad or similar. More akin to a missing page or cover.

While you say printer defects (miscut, overhang, etc.), you missed the worst one!!

Marvel chips and tears. Why, because CGC doesn't downgrade much for this.

Face it!!! Would you rather have a VF/NM book with a very light 1/4" corner crease or VF/NM book with pieces missing (i.e. Marvel chips). I'll take the small corner crease any day.

Also, OVERHANG is not a DEFECT. That how most all Atlas and Silver-Age Marvel books were made. That's like saying a book that never was printed with much gloss has a defect because it isn't glossy.

The problem with the overhang is that that is an easy place for damage to occur on a near perfect book. But it isn't a defect.

NO. I could not have done that because that would have alerted you all to MY REAL IDENTITY!!!! YES! FOR I AM HAMMER COME TO TRIM AND CUT AND SLASH YOUR SILVER AGE BEAUTIES TO PIECES!!! I HAVE FOOLED YOU ALL FOR MONTHS!!!!

Now lay your FF 48's, your ASM 14's, your Hulk 1's, and your Not Brand Echh's (Not Brand Echh? WTF?) on my sacrficial altar!!!!

Damn finding a Pedigree collection with perfect corners and straight edges! I'll make my own! laugh.gif

Major water damage with rusty staples has got to be the worst! mad.gif

Other two bad ones:

Missing inside pages {or cover(s)}.

Fire damage. Yes, FIRE damage!

Someone around here, years ago, had a high grade (F - VFish) ASM run from #1-up damaged in a house fire.

They were all black along the outside of the books but the stories were still readible.

The smell of the burnt paper was terrible! frown.gif *cough cough*