• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! MLJ Publishing and Golden Age Archie only!
22 22

3,914 posts in this topic

And man, did I want that #19! Such a neat cover. Unfortunately that was the most brittle book of all, literally flaking apart inside the CGC holder. I looked up the grading notes online and the CGC grader who wrote them practically steps through the screen and begs you not to buy the book. I threw in bids anyway, and still lost.

On 1/3/2022 at 1:37 PM, Point Five said:

Yeah, I really dig them too. But I'm even later to the party than you are! Strange that, at least currently, they seem harder to find than the other hero MLJs from the same era.

I don't know why it is, but Blue Ribbon is definitely harder to find than other titles.  When I put together the run of Zip from 21-35 it took me a couple of years. Putting the Peps together just requires money.  I had to wait a decade to get my BR 17, and only then because the release of the Berk books.  I think I was underbidder on the MH, and the only other copy I can recall was this Pinnacle Hill one.  That's 3 copies in something like 13-14 years.  There are 2 others in HA from 2006 & 2008.  Talk about tough.  

On 1/3/2022 at 7:09 PM, RareHighGrade said:

The Top Notches in today's auction also got a lot of love, with prices ranging from 3X to 10X Overstreet Guide, even with restoration.

Top Notch was one of the MLJ runs I was able to complete around 15 years ago. Along with Top Notch Laugh, Laugh Comix and then Suzie. I had a lot of fun doing that. One of my more enjoyable periods of comic acquisition.

On 1/4/2022 at 1:14 PM, sagii said:

Was not that far off from the Billy Wright copy that resold just a few weeks ago and in much higher grade 

Yeah, I was really surprised to see a 1.5 go for $3,600, right after the Billy Wright copy (6.5) sold for $7,000.  Makes the price for the Billy Wright copy look like a steal!

On 1/4/2022 at 1:54 PM, Spyder! said:

Yeah, I was really surprised to see a 1.5 go for $3,600, right after the Billy Wright copy (6.5) sold for $7,000.  Makes the price for the Billy Wright copy look like a steal!

The prices fetched for the Pinnacle Hill books in last September's auction all look like steals today.

On 1/3/2022 at 7:49 PM, The Black Hand ® said:

Top Notch was one of the MLJ runs I was able to complete around 15 years ago. Along with Top Notch Laugh, Laugh Comix and then Suzie. I had a lot of fun doing that. One of my more enjoyable periods of comic acquisition.

Heck of an accomplishment :golfclap:

Some tough books in that group. Would have sure been a lot more affordable 15 years ago. 

On 1/6/2022 at 11:08 AM, gino2paulus2 said:

Have no fear there was a buyer out there brother and it was me hehehe!! I have made literally multiple wtb threads for this book over the years and never even got a lead so was elated to finally nab a copy!! I NEEDED this one for my hero/horror mashup collection and I’m highly considering having Kenny the Wizard Sanderson conserving this one since the presentation is nice enough and once he gets his paws on them you can kiss that brittleness goodbye. Not many sought after books 10 and under on the census anymore these days but this remains one of them for now. Let us see if it can survive the trip from Texas to nippy Cleveland Ohio in only a few separated pieces 🤣 

16145733-ABA3-40C8-9DF9-AB5A37532B2F.jpeg

Hey Gino, that's great!  :applause: I'm so glad you were the one to win it. Makes me feel better about not bidding some outlandish figure. I had the same thoughts re rarity.

On 1/6/2022 at 11:08 AM, gino2paulus2 said:

Have no fear there was a buyer out there brother and it was me hehehe!! I have made literally multiple wtb threads for this book over the years and never even got a lead so was elated to finally nab a copy!! I NEEDED this one for my hero/horror mashup collection and I’m highly considering having Kenny the Wizard Sanderson conserving this one since the presentation is nice enough and once he gets his paws on them you can kiss that brittleness goodbye. Not many sought after books 10 and under on the census anymore these days but this remains one of them for now. Let us see if it can survive the trip from Texas to nippy Cleveland Ohio in only a few separated pieces 🤣 

Congrats Gino! I know that was a long time grail of yours. Glad it went to you! On white whales like that, PQ isn't an issue for a lot of collectors. It presents very beautifully 

On 1/6/2022 at 8:08 AM, gino2paulus2 said:

Why do they have to make The Black Hand appear so evil. He's just trying to give the nice lady a neck massage.