• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

some comic people disgust me

32 posts in this topic

At the National I was waiting to for one of the longboxes at one of my favorite dollar guys and the guy ahead of me went through every book in the box twice, pulling each one up and practically bending them in half when he put them back after deciding he didn't want them (they weren't boarded).

Why do people do krap like this? I try to respect dealers' books (and what will likely be someone else's books soon). Not cool. I probably should have said something, I don't think the dealer saw what was going on. Someone who brings stuff out at a fair price certainly doesn't deserve to have his merchandise trashed.

I agree totally. I just hope it wasnt my boxes. I also dont like it when they are looking through my 50 cent boxes and start reading the comic while other people wait to look through them. They dont flip through the book to look at the art work, but they actually read them, then they put it back. I know its the customers money and they have a right to be choosy on what they want to buy, but a 50 cent book?? Me personally would buy it, if i didnt like it, i would donate it to a school or something. We're not talking high end golden age stuff here. Just my thoughts.

Jeff

At the National I was waiting to for one of the longboxes at one of my favorite dollar guys and the guy ahead of me went through every book in the box twice, pulling each one up and practically bending them in half when he put them back after deciding he didn't want them (they weren't boarded).

Why do people do krap like this? I try to respect dealers' books (and what will likely be someone else's books soon). Not cool. I probably should have said something, I don't think the dealer saw what was going on. Someone who brings stuff out at a fair price certainly doesn't deserve to have his merchandise trashed.

They do this because they really aren't grade specific collectors. I would of said something to him.

I have done it in the past and a few of the men I told about were very embarrassed at being such a tool.

Because dealers let them.

A dealer should be watching his stock and not be afraid to lose a fifty cent sale to some jerk. I'm sad to say this but a fair percentage of convention goers lack the needed social skills to interact properly in public.When a dealer sees such a miscreant,he should simply shoe the guy along and let the 98% of the audience look thru the books with the respect they deserve.But they don't,because they are afraid of losing a dollar in sales.

I don't know what is so hard about saying to someone,

"Please don't do that, see what it does to the book when you do it. You can just pull the book straight up and down"

I did this to a really good friend of mine who really didn't understand and he always says, "You are the one who showed me how to really look through comics" I think he just never got it.

I think a lot of it is just that they don't know any better. Sometimes you just have to tell them. Othertimes they are just insufficiently_thoughtful_persons :)

PS: Can anyone tell me why i-d-i-o-t is a banned word?

If I have customers waiting to look through comics I do tell them to put it back and not to read the comics. If it is slow i do not mind. At the National I was very busy and did tell one person that other people were waiting to look through the books. He rolled his eyes and moved along. I hate people like that. Turns out he came back an hour later and bought bags and boards from me but didnt buy the comic. (I had multiples of every issue in NM condition).

what drives me nuts is when a dealer has a box of comics packed so friggin tight you can’t help but damage them.

There is a good reason for that.

I have seen a bunch of books ruined when they were being put back since they were so loose in the box.

I too saw something similar. The guy was flipping thru the books, bending them near the top staple. He was looking thru the books like he was angry at them. :eek:

Well, books can be quite dangerous...ever get a nasty paper cut?

i should have said something but at that point i was exhausted and given that i was seeing what was in the box because he was pulling everything out, i wasn't all that interested in the stuff anyway.

it is simply astonishing how some of this stuff survives in VF or better without boards. while sundays are good because you can really haggle, honestly, i prefer to go on the friday for this very reason. if a dealer has some new stock it might not be trashed yet. sure, somehow mile high chuck has already gone through every dollar box at a show within its first 30 minutes (he might clone himself or be able to teleport, i don't know), he doesn't manhandle the books.

it wasn't you hotflips, i don't divulge my favorite sources, although people who regularly box dive at the NYC shows probably know anyway.

. I'm sad to say this but a fair percentage of convention goers lack the needed social skills to interact properly in public.

And I think I met every last one of them on my trips to the SD con. ::brrrr::

Sunday I attended a comic convention for the first time as a seller. I saw a ton of this going on. Not only were books manhandled but some people would pull out 50 or more books from different boxes ask if you would take a quarter on the dollar and when they were shot down would just dump them on top of the boxes and walk away.

Social Bridges should be invited to attend comic conventions purely from a research perspective. The could write volumes.

what drives me nuts is when a dealer has a box of comics packed so friggin tight you can’t help but damage them.

There is a good reason for that.

I have seen a bunch of books ruined when they were being put back since they were so loose in the box.

This is the biggest dilemma a comic dealer faces when going to a show!

Are the boxes too tight, or too loose. Either way, the books get damaged.

We dealers spend hours trying to make sure the boxes are packed just right!

We could afford to reduce prices if we didn't have to spend so much time on box packing.

It truly is a dilemma. In mid-afternoon,a loosely filled box seems to indicate lots of stuff pulled- ie GOOD BUYS,but too loose and books get damaged. Plus you want as much inventory available to the buyers.

A tightly stuffed box means more books for the clients, but indicates poor sales- BAD BUYS.

Boarding a comic preserves it better,but is expensive and time consuming,and greatly reduces the space in the box for comics. Maybe 250 bagged comics or 200 boarded in the same space.

Kids- If you want to be a comics dealer,stay in school. You'll need your math.