• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Marvel Mystery 51 Chicago copy

18 posts in this topic

I wonder what happened here?

Unsuccesful restoration experiment?

From the looks of it, I'd bet the casing broke, and it was resubbed. And since Heritage wasn't the one sending it back in.... insane.gif

Well...the seller is Heritage's restoration consultant! tongue.gif

You can get a new holder without having the book re-graded.

There was an earlier thread discussing that. If CGC notice the book has been misgraded or damaged it will be assigned a new grade, even if you just send it in for a new holder.

There was an earlier thread discussing that. If CGC notice the book has been misgraded or damaged it will be assigned a new grade, even if you just send it in for a new holder.

True, but of all the comics that are sent back for new slabs how often does that occur? 1 comic out of 100? confused.gif

I'm not sure, I always thought that the re-slab route didn't involve the book being seen by the graders (much cheaper than sending the book in for a re-grade) but acording to CGC the graders do check re-holdered books.

I wonder if any books come back with a HIGHER grade after a re-slab. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

The Heritage image seems to be unchanged from the new one. The corners appear identical, as far as what can be discerned from Heritage's horribly saturated scans.

In the new auction, the book is imaged far more advantageously to show detail.

Very puzzling, might I add. It just doesn't seem to make any sense from the standpoint of a regrade or just a reslab on a broken casing.

Yeah, it's a gorgeous 7.5. Just my imagination or does the lower left corner appear slightly more damaged the second time around? confused.gif

I looked at that closely. Looks like the same flaw, a small tear, exists in both images. However, in the 7.5 version it looks like the small torn piece has been folded over backwards and now is creased! In the 9.0 version it was in its natural position.

I wish all 7.5 look like that.

There must be some type of surface wear that they didn't get downgraded as much from the first to the second grading. That's way too nice of GA book to get a 7.5 based on what I can see.

Ouch, talk about a costly mistake. I've damaged a few my books accidentally, but not that costly. I remember reading a story about a dealer at a convention who spilled a Pepsi on a nice Showcase #4...that story still makes me cringe.

But paper is pretty fragile and it is fairly easy to damage of course, and it is a very delicate operation opening those CGC cases from my experience.

Hey, do any of you use cotton gloves or anything like that to handle your books? I've always wondered about that, but wouldn't know where to get such gloves and I usually don't take my more valuable books out of the Mylar or CGC case anyway.