• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Suspense Comics #3 - What's this book really worth in 4.5?

37 posts in this topic

I have never understood why this book is SOoooooOOoo expensive!

Simple really - there are lots of BSD Schomburg collectors, and they all want this book. It was featured as a full page watermark on the interior of the Gerber guides, correct? It's acknowledged as the best cover by (arguably) the best cover artist of the golden age. But mostly, b/c of how scarce it is - how many complete (apparently many copies aren't) copies have been offered for public sale over the last 5 years?

i know, i know tongue.gif i have followed its trajectory for the last 10 years, i just am still shocked it hasn't settled back down like the L.B. Cole Suspense covers. Its remarkable to me that a non-hero, non-media tie in, non-nostalgia based comic can keep up such fervid demand. I love the cover too and would gladly drop $200 on a Nice G-VG, if i saw the comic somewhere & was ignorant about it and never saw a guide telling me the 411. confused-smiley-013.gif

I love the cover too and would gladly drop $200 on a Nice G-VG, if i saw the comic somewhere & was ignorant about it and never saw a guide telling me the 411.

Yep...me too, dare to dream! cloud9.gif

Personally, it's real tough for me to drop 12.5K or even 8.5K on any book that is a VG+, no matter what book it is. If I'm spending that kind of $$$, I think I'd rather have the Mile High copy of a "more common" issue of an Action, Adventure, More Fun, or a high grade Timely. Different strokes for different folks. Now if the seller would take $6500 for this book, I'd get out my checkbook. grin.gif

After the Gerber Photojournal came out, Metro bought up every Suspense 3 & Fantastic Comics 3 (Lou Fine Robot cvr) he could find. He sent his men out all over the USA & Canada to dig up the books. Prices were then forced up accordingly b/c he controlled the market. devil.gif

My friend used to own the "Photo-Journal Copy" of Suspense #3 and sold it to Gerber. It is the best known copy to date at VF/NM. I had a chance to buy it 10 years ago for $1200.00, bought them damn Mile Highs instead! 27_laughing.gifforeheadslap.gif

Timely

My friend used to own the "Photo-Journal Copy" of Suspense #3 and sold it to Gerber. It is the best known copy to date at VF/NM. I had a chance to buy it 10 years ago for $1200.00, bought them damn Mile Highs instead! 27_laughing.gifforeheadslap.gif

Timely

Did they have tank or submarine covers?

Seriously though, post some scans of your books Timely! Love to see 'em!

Timely are you sure it is a TRUE VF/NM.

I had heard the Gerber copy (best known) was around a VF or a hair better.

(There is a lot of hearsay about this book)

The current owner graded it a VF+ when he bought it from Gerber. He still has it but long out of comics. Motorcycles have been his passion for quite a while now! 893frustrated.gif

You must be thinking about someone else. The current owner who lives locally bought it from Gerber for around $1,800 to $2,200 (forgot the price he quoted). I doubt that he is married. Odin88 knows him much better so he could probably provide you with more current information. I haven't seen him in ages!