• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze-Age Spideys
12 12

1,664 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2021 at 2:35 PM, jimjum12 said:

Yeah, I expected more out of the 124 ... it's virtually as scarce as the 151 and is a Key. My quiet surprise was with the 104 ... was that 11K I saw for that one ? GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Finished at 12k. It's a Suscha news WP but had a good bit of white on the spine. Still a monster book!

On 11/4/2021 at 6:45 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Another great book @MGsimba77.

The original cover to ASM 132 was only slightly different than the published version.

image.png.8e82077831544cab58142afd199c3bce.png

All I see is the piece of the wall breaking away when punched is missing, but given that is such a minute detail, I'm sure I'm missing another! Cheers! :tink:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 11/4/2021 at 7:52 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

All I see is the piece of the wall breaking away when punched is missing, but given that is such a minute detail, I'm sure I'm missing another! Cheers! :tink:

From what I see there's a few more terrified background onlookers in the original and a car in the upper right.

On 11/4/2021 at 7:45 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Another great book @MGsimba77.

The original cover to ASM 132 was only slightly different than the published version.

image.png.8e82077831544cab58142afd199c3bce.png

Hey thanks man! I was thinking of bidding on a 9.8 copy being auctioned but being such a "page obsessive" I couldn't pass up the WP and centering. I'm actually finding myself less obsessed with grade and more with what the damn book looks like these days. Once upon a time it was the opposite. 

I'm not sure if that's an OA piece? It kind of looks like it but doesn't have any notations and looks too new...soo...(shrug)

Would you know if Romita drew Molten man before this?

On 11/4/2021 at 5:48 PM, MGsimba77 said:

From what I see there's a few more terrified background onlookers in the original and a car in the upper right.

Hey thanks man! I was thinking of bidding on a 9.8 copy being auctioned but being such a "page obsessive" I couldn't pass up the WP and centering. I'm actually finding myself less obsessed with grade and more with what the damn book looks like these days. Once upon a time it was the opposite. 

I'm not sure if that's an OA piece? It kind of looks like it but doesn't have any notations and looks too new...soo...(shrug)

Would you know if Romita drew Molten man before this?

Yes, it's the original art for the cover.  It was over on Romitaman.com.   There is an overlay that goes over it to produce the final, published version.   Not sure if John drew Molten Man anywhere else.

On 11/21/2021 at 5:10 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I posted this in the antique store thread, but I think it's a fun story, so I wanted to post it here too:

My parents went antiquing, and my dad said he found this one random comic in one of the shops. He knew the owner, and he asked how much, and the guy said, "I don't know, a buck?" My dad said cool, he wanted it for his kid who like comics (bear in mind I'm 43, I think that makes it funny for some reason... xD) The guy told me dad he could just have it for free, he didn't even know where it came from. I bagged and boarded it - nothing really special as a comic, but it's a fun story of how I got it, and I'm glad pops is looking out for me!

IMG_3881.thumb.JPG.ee220516a78ab6190b2033daf0259f0b.JPG

Nice story.   This cover always stood out to me, not just because of the great John Romita art, but the circle design and webs.  

On 11/7/2021 at 7:59 PM, universal soldier said:

Starting the long process of re-bagging large parts of my collection. The good part of this is running into issues that bring you back.

OO copy that I bought probably just prior to my 11th birthday. Beat, but well read and well loved. :cloud9:

IMG_7858.thumb.jpg.b800da39629354c747321421df30a405.jpg

Still have my OO too.

I really used to look forward to annuals, and '76 was really a great year for them.

The entire book was Gil Kane art.

annual 10  1976.jpg

On 11/20/2021 at 2:54 PM, AJLewandoski said:

Here's an oddball for y'all. My wife spotted this at a paper show today. It's a scrap book of every Spidey daily strip from the first in '77 to somewhere into the 80's. The whole thing is probably 4 inches thick and has 3 strips per page, except the full color Sunday's which each have their own page. No idea what the value on something like this would be be, but at $30 it wasn't not coming home with me! :whatev:

20211120_163839.jpg

I used to do stuff like this when I was a kid.  I still have all the local newspaper and some other coverage of the Fischer/Spassky World Chess Championship in a scrapbook in the den, lovingly cut out, organized and Elmer's glued down.

On 11/3/2021 at 3:28 PM, MGsimba77 said:

One of the later Romita cover and art issues. 

20211103_161334.jpg

I also loved the cover of 133 ( tho I still remember shaking my head, even at 10 years old, that Molten Man's flaming hand had no affect on Spidey's costume  :eyeroll: ).

I also still remember the shock of seeing that 25 cent price.

4 comics for a dollar, instead of five?

The horror.