• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze-Age Spideys
12 12

1,663 posts in this topic

On 11/29/2021 at 7:39 AM, sledgehammer said:

tho I still remember shaking my head, even at 10 years old, that Molten Man's flaming hand had no affect on Spidey's costume  :eyeroll:

Maybe that can be explained away with the costume but the train being totally unaffected? And pretty much most he makes contact with lol

On 11/29/2021 at 4:52 PM, makeminemarvel said:

There was another 9.8 for 7200 in September on HA so looks in line. I think Pedigree had an auction few weeks ago that ended somewhere in the 6k range but not 100% sure. So this might be the 3rd 9.8 106 recently popping up when for the last few years there was nothing. I would suspect this pushes up the next 2 grades at least a little.

On 12/5/2021 at 7:08 AM, sledgehammer said:

I had to pull the trigger on an upgrade to a 9.6.

ASM 111 was one of the first two Spidey issues my Dad ever bought me.

The nostalgia just beats me over the head every time I look at it, and a nearly perfect copy, compared to my 9.4, was not resistible.

:wavingwhiteflag:

111 9.6 upgrade.jpg

Very nice books.  My older brother had this issue and I remember pouring through time and again as a kid.  Pure Romita beauty.  

On 1/22/2022 at 10:50 AM, Spider-Variant said:

I bought issues 157 and 158 off the stands, but missed 159 when my family moved from Hawaii to Georgia.  The Talkative Kid Wesley gave me this comic when I started fifth grade in Georgia.  The whole Hammerhead is a ghost was a little cheesy, but I guess it held my attention as a kid.

lol

The first page of 129 is the Punisher shooting a full size plaster statue of Spider Man from 20 feet away.

Great literature it wasn't.

On 1/23/2022 at 11:39 AM, sledgehammer said:

lol

The first page of 129 is the Punisher shooting a full size plaster statue of Spider Man from 20 feet away.

Great literature it wasn't.

I'd have to think, from the perspective of the kids seeing it the first time, the artwork on that page made an impact. Just imagine being ten, having no idea of Punisher or Jackal then suddenly seeing that cover followed by the splash! A torrential flood of cool 🤟

Edited by MGsimba77

On 1/23/2022 at 12:47 PM, MGsimba77 said:

I'd have to think, from the perspective of the kids seeing it the first time, the artwork on that page made an impact. Just imagine being ten, having no idea of Punisher or Jackal then suddenly seeing that cover followed by the splash! A torrential flood of cool 🤟

Yes, I'm with MGsimba77, my ten year old self ate it all up.  

I think the end of ASM 157 with Dr. Ock cutting Spider-Man's webbing as he precariously perched underneath the helicopter held me enthralled for a month, lol 

My jaw dropped when I saw that I had been beaten to the punch on one of my favorite sellers listing an 8.5  ASM 109 for $85 in November.

When I saw a 9.2 BIN popped for $475 today, which just absolutely obliterated GPA, I did some searching, and came across the Marvel Tales variation of the cover.

I knew pretty quickly there was something different about it, but it still took a second or two for it to click.

marvel tales 88.jpg

Edited by sledgehammer

On 2/24/2022 at 3:30 PM, NP_Gresham said:

Kind of Bronzy , or close enough.

Latest addition to my raw ASM set. Just going to cut this run off at 441 and skip all the re-boots and number resets that followed.

Love the clean black cover books in mylar.

lCCCtapZSpS1fZzM%EfWzQ.jpg

It IS a fun little cover :)

I got a mid grade, but got it graded anyway lol

On 2/24/2022 at 4:42 PM, sledgehammer said:

I was just thinking last week that I had ended my run at 441 in 1998 and now they're at @ 882.

Time flies.

:fear:

I made it to Issue 600.  Although some of the copper age stories were fun, I am definitely a Bronze Age Spidey zealot.