• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze-Age Spideys
12 12

1,660 posts in this topic

On 11/19/2022 at 11:21 AM, ft88 said:

Bronze. Good line is 12/15 cent split. Latest might be iss 95/96 with no CCA stamp drug story in 96. I forget where the Romita/ Kane change happened  

FF often is When Kirby stops but I still prefer 12/15 split. 

Kane started penciling in issue 89 summer of 1970

On 11/22/2022 at 12:14 AM, Spider-Variant said:

Seems like only yesterday my older brother and I were picking up issue 145 off the stands.  Absolutely love that issue.

Yes Andru was on a pretty good tear by that time.  I'm almost sure those 2 were from the same submission. Both came from Lone star comics. 

On 11/22/2022 at 6:26 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Yes Andru was on a pretty good tear by that time.  I'm almost sure those 2 were from the same submission. Both came from Lone star comics. 

Really nice books.  If I ever were to replace some of my fondest issues, that ASM 145 would be one of them.

On 11/25/2022 at 9:41 PM, MattTheDuck said:

From July 1974 (#134) to June 1975 (#145), I had a subscription to Amazing Spider-Man.  In those days the comics were folded over and stuffed into paper sleeves that were open on both ends.  They all, naturally, have a subscription crease at a minimum and others have wear/mailing damage at the top and or bottom in the middle of the book.  Not really sure how I arrived at the bonehead notion that this was a good idea.  I had plenty of access to books off the rack at a local independent grocery store and was heading out to at least one or two LCS's at least twice a month.  In any case, I now have the delightful opportunity to pay many dollars for books I could have had for a quarter.  Young and foolish.  I've been trying to pick up higher-grade raw copies of Bronze Age ASM's of which I have had only subscription copies for over 45 years.  Here's an upgrade from today's mail, courtesy of @ft88

I was very fortunate to have discovered mail order at an early age.  I did have a subscription starting around ASM 193 or so,  but many of my earlier issues were all from mail order.

My $3 mail order ASM 129 was around an cgc 8.0.  

On 11/25/2022 at 11:13 PM, Spider-Variant said:

I was very fortunate to have discovered mail order at an early age.  I did have a subscription starting around ASM 193 or so,  but many of my earlier issues were all from mail order.

My $3 mail order ASM 129 was around an cgc 8.0.  

Excellent rate of return on investment ☝️🎶☑️

On 11/25/2022 at 8:41 PM, MattTheDuck said:

From July 1974 (#134) to June 1975 (#145), I had a subscription to Amazing Spider-Man.  In those days the comics were folded over and stuffed into paper sleeves that were open on both ends.  They all, naturally, have a subscription crease at a minimum and others have wear/mailing damage at the top and or bottom in the middle of the book.  Not really sure how I arrived at the bonehead notion that this was a good idea.  I had plenty of access to books off the rack at a local independent grocery store and was heading out to at least one or two LCS's at least twice a month.  In any case, I now have the delightful opportunity to pay many dollars for books I could have had for a quarter.  Young and foolish.  I've been trying to pick up higher-grade raw copies of Bronze Age ASM's of which I have had only subscription copies for over 45 years.  Here's an upgrade from today's mail, courtesy of @ft88

ASM - 142 - 2.jpg

I also had a subscription to ASM, beginning with issue #169.  I remember the ads in the comics for subscriptions said "all titles mailed flat".  I was 10 years old at the time so never really understood what that meant until years later.  So I think I just missed the folded subscriptions.  Still have all mine to this day.  Most I read once and put away, so for the most part they are in nice condition.  There are a few that had some mail damage...

On 12/2/2022 at 10:40 AM, makeminemarvel said:

I also had a subscription to ASM, beginning with issue #169.  I remember the ads in the comics for subscriptions said "all titles mailed flat".  I was 10 years old at the time so never really understood what that meant until years later.  So I think I just missed the folded subscriptions.  Still have all mine to this day.  Most I read once and put away, so for the most part they are in nice condition.  There are a few that had some mail damage...

That is Cool my first Subscription copy of ASM was #166 and I was also 10 at the time and it came flat in a brown paper sleeve so I missed the folded Sub copies also.  Does anyone on here know when Marvel switched from folded to flat Subscription copies?  hm