• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze-Age Spideys
12 12

1,664 posts in this topic

Hey @Frisco Larson, where do you have your Copper Age of comics beginning?

I know everyone has a different definition.  I think for me, definitely the new suit Spider-Man was copper age.  Shoot, I tell people my Bronze age ended with Ross Andru's last issue, ASM 185 in 1978, lol.

Just Curious....

On 5/10/2023 at 6:06 PM, Spider-Variant said:

I love, love Romita.  I was lucky enough to meet him at the NY ComicCon in 2006.  What an awesome person and amazing talent!

But, Ross Andru will always be my favorite Spider-Man artist.  When I think of Spider-Man, it's the one Ross drew.  He's not the best, but he\s definitely my favorite.

Within the last week, I was  looking at the interior art of 137, which has one of the most hideously stupid covers of the whole run. Even at 10 years old, I reached that conclusion.

The interior art by Andru is fantastic, and it's a first class shame that the splash page, did not end up being worked out to be the cover.

The page posted above just doesn't come close to what he did from the mid 120s to the mid 140s..

Whether he was just getting tired of it, or Dave Hunt and Frank G were just that much better than Esposito, I can only have my opinion, which is yes.

To me, it's like watching the Jim Mooney influence on Romita's art. It's nothing like the beauty of Romita's work around 109-122.

On 5/15/2023 at 6:52 AM, sledgehammer said:

Within the last week, I was  looking at the interior art of 137, which has one of the most hideously stupid covers of the whole run. Even at 10 years old, I reached that conclusion.

The interior art by Andru is fantastic, and it's a first class shame that the splash page, did not end up being worked out to be the cover.

The page posted above just doesn't come close to what he did from the mid 120s to the mid 140s..

Whether he was just getting tired of it, or Dave Hunt and Frank G were just that much better than Esposito, I can only have my opinion, which is yes.

To me, it's like watching the Jim Mooney influence on Romita's art. It's nothing like the beauty of Romita's work around 109-122.

I agree on nearly all fronts here.  I do think that when Dave Hunt left the book at issue 170, the inking suffered some.  Namely, I think without the third inker, the primary inker had to less time to do a great job.  The detail that came with Dave's backgrounds is not small.  Look at the ASM 151 incinerator as compared to the same incinerator in issue 180.  Day and night.

I also did not enjoy the cover to ASM 137.  The cover to ASM 136 was amazing, the cover to ASM 137, the opposite.

Generally, I did like Giacoia's inks better than Mike Esposito over Andru's pencils, but look at issue 161 for a great example of where Mike did a tremendous job.

On 5/15/2023 at 2:26 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Generally, I did like Giacoia's inks better than Mike Esposito over Andru's pencils, but look at issue 161 for a great example of where Mike did a tremendous job.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. I did just look at 161, and it's just not at the same level.

There's artwork of The Punisher's face, where he looks 60. The contrast between that comic, and 129, 135, is just so striking.

I don't think it's 100% on Esposito, either, but I'm pretty sure that it's close..

I remember already starting to be disappointed by the interior art at 157 and 158, and it just was never the same for me after that.

I don't know if it was on the colorist, but somebody has to take some blame for this classic from 157, where somebody forgot to put his pants on, and he appears to be talking out of his butt.

Even Pollard, though some of the covers were really nice, never did much for me with his interior art.

It was the JR JR covers and interior art that finally got me a bit interested again. I think it was 210 that was the first time I really took notice.

Which was really amazing to me, after seeing his amateur hour debut at the end of that one annual in '76 or '77.

157.jpg

On 5/15/2023 at 4:33 PM, sledgehammer said:

We'll just have to agree to disagree on that one. I did just look at 161, and it's just not at the same level.

There's artwork of The Punisher's face, where he looks 60. The contrast between that comic, and 129, 135, is just so striking.

I don't think it's 100% on Esposito, either, but I'm pretty sure that it's close..

I remember already starting to be disappointed by the interior art at 157 and 158, and it just was never the same for me after that.

I don't know if it was on the colorist, but somebody has to take some blame for this classic from 157, where somebody forgot to put his pants on, and he appears to be talking out of his butt.

Even Pollard, though some of the covers were really nice, never did much for me with his interior art.

It was the JR JR covers and interior art that finally got me a bit interested again. I think it was 210 that was the first time I really took notice.

Which was really amazing to me, after seeing his amateur hour debut at the end of that one annual in '76 or '77.

157.jpg

Well, again, I definitely preferred Giacoia inks over Andru.

Couldn't agree more about Pollard, his stuff just didn't excite me.  

Laughing at the nude Spidey image, such a classic, lol.

On 5/29/2023 at 3:36 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I posted about this in the "Garage Sale" thread in Comics General, but I picked up a 115-book collection at an Estate Sale last weekend. They were all Bronze Age and various titles, but 92 of the books also had Mark Jewelers Inserts. About half the books that should have had them were missing Marvel Value Stamps. These books were in ziploc or other large plastic bags by title. The Incredible Hulk bag had a #182 on top which is what made me just buy the whole lot (I regret it is missing the MVS). I opened the ASM bag first, which had a #140 on top, then a #138 then a #135.  You can imagine I almost wet myself thinking about what I might find under the IH #182!  Unhappily, the next IH was #178 but a man can dream, though, a man can dream.  Here are the ASM's - the #140 is missing the MVS, the rest are intact if they had them.

ASM - 135 - 2 - MVS ok - MJI.jpg

ASM - 138 - 3 - MVS ok - MJI.jpg

ASM - 140 - 2 - MVS NO - MJI.jpg

ASM - 143 - 2 - MJI.jpg

ASM - GS - 2 - 2.jpg

:whee:

On 5/1/2023 at 3:21 PM, Spider-Variant said:

Hey @Frisco Larson, where do you have your Copper Age of comics beginning?

I know everyone has a different definition.  I think for me, definitely the new suit Spider-Man was copper age.  Shoot, I tell people my Bronze age ended with Ross Andru's last issue, ASM 185 in 1978, lol.

Just Curious....

Since it's CGC's website, I went with their definition in their glossary which states: BRONZE AGE. CGC Registry term for comics published 1970 through 1984. I used to say thru 1979 but it's not my most collected area, so I yielded to their cut-off designation. (thumbsu