• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just because I love you all...!! Hey Kids, Comics!

6 posts in this topic

Inspired by POV's horror topic, The following are links to THREE actual MLJ stories, from 1941/1942.

These are what I consider to be a horror type stories (although I'm not claiming it's the first horror story in comics or anything crazy). You be the judge.

First up: an excellent Black Hood Story, from Jackpot Comics #4, Winter 1941/42.

"Tales from the Witches Cauldron"...Blue Ribbon Comics #21, February 1942

Third story is a cool Hangman story from Pep Comics #43 November 1943. Maybe I've read too many EC "Plant" stories, but you should enjoy this one.

*BUMP* So no one read any of these stories eh? Keep in mind this is 7-9 years before EC...

I did! Very cool stuff - thanks for posting them - must have taken you a long time to scan and upload all the issues! acclaim.gif

That Tales from the Witches Cauldron makes a pretty strong case!!! That story is VERY reminiscent of EC. The other two might be a little more questionable since they have heroes on the splashes (I didn't read those two, but it just seems that given the long underwear types on the splash pages, they would be superhero stories in a horror context, which isn't really the animal we're looking for.

But.. that witch's cauldron story... no hero at all.

OK, I'll say it for you.... 1st horror story in comics?????? 893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif