• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much is your collection worth?
2 2

How much is your collection worth?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. How much is your collection worth?

154 posts in this topic

3 people's collection is worth over $1,000,000 :o

I can think of at least 5 board members with collections that are worth more than a million..

Just 5? I can think 10 or 15...

Bangzoom (millions; in a category of its own)

jbcomicbox

action1kid

MrBedrock

detective27kid

metropolisent

koko1

EsquireComics

CentuarMan

BillyParker

CaptainTripps

continue...

What are some of the books/sets they own, if they've reached a million dollars? I can't wait to hear some answers to this.......:banana:

Check out the GA forum :gossip:

I'm guessing my collection is around 1 million...give or take 800,000.00-900,000.00 :insane:

But really, I have never sat around adding up the value of any of my collectibles. This is something I need to do real soon due to insurence reasons.

Edited by WiseGuyX

I'm guessing my collection is around 1 million...give or take 800,000.00-900,000.00 :insane:

But really, I have never sat around adding up the value of any of my collectibles. This is something I need to do real soon due to insurence reasons.

(thumbs u

I only think about the $$ value when adding books to my collection. After that the book is just another pretty box filler. I've been buying comics for 30 years, Silver Age from second hand book stores in the early 70's and Bronze Age off the rack. Over the last 15 years I've purchased high grade Silver pretty steady and it is surprising how quickly it piles up.

If I had to put a price on my collection I would estimate between $40,000 and $50,000 but I agree with DrWatson, priceless to me. It's a great hobby, why check out.

I am amazed at the numbers of collectors here who state that they have no idea how much their collection is worth.

No clue? I find that hard to believe.

Mine is somewhere between 250 and 500 thousand. I last went through them, graded them and checked the guide and gave each one a value, back in 1998, and it was just over 250 thousand. That is the last guide I have. Although there is a guide on the web that I sometimes consult. Strangely, it has different values for CGC'd books and raw books. I guess it takes into account that we just might grade our books in our favor, and a pro grading company would not. Still.

Simply ask yourself how much you would take for the entire kit-n-kaboodle. Then ask yourself, realistically, what would someone pay you for them en mass. Singlely is for sure more money, but as a collection, what do you think someone would actually give you for them? I can tell you this. It most cases (not all because there are some here who have GREAT and VALUABLE collections) it ain't what you think (hope) it would be. I remember back when the internet started and everyone was investing in dot.com names. There was a web site like this where everyone was asked questions like "What do you think this name is worth" and they would put something up like "musicshop.com" or "bluefrog.com" and everyone would post that they thought it was a fabulous name to own and surely is worth thousands if not millions. Well, I would post that they were worth less than a hundred and probably only 20 bucks or so. Everyone chided me for that and ganged up on me for being a spoil-sport. Hope that doesn't happen here.

Having said that. If you have boxes and boxes of bronze age, or modern age books and they ain't Hulk 181, then you have hundreds of dollars, maybe even a few thousand if sold seperately. No matter what the guide states. I have PLENTY of books that the guide states are worth ten bucks or so and I am sure that I could not post them here for a dollar and get any buyers.

Well said, conditionfreak... I'm new to these boards, but have been an avid collector/sometime dealer for the last 30 years or so... Selling comics as a whole collection is NEVER the best way to get top dollar... seems weird that someone would rather pay less for more, huh? But that is indeed how it works... My collection, individually is just over the 500,000 point now (according to the guide), but if I sold it, I MIGHT see half that if I sold individually, and not even a fifth of that if sold as a collection...

Thank god I collect comics for fun and sheer enjoyment!

Cimm

Well said, conditionfreak... I'm new to these boards, but have been an avid collector/sometime dealer for the last 30 years or so... Selling comics as a whole collection is NEVER the best way to get top dollar... seems weird that someone would rather pay less for more, huh? But that is indeed how it works... My collection, individually is just over the 500,000 point now (according to the guide), but if I sold it, I MIGHT see half that if I sold individually, and not even a fifth of that if sold as a collection...

Thank god I collect comics for fun and sheer enjoyment!

Cimm

Welcome to the board Cimm. Sounds like you have a large collection, how about posting a few scans and telling us what you like?

Strangely, it has different values for CGC'd books and raw books. I guess it takes into account that we just might grade our books in our favor, and a pro grading company would not. Still.

It makes sense that CGC books are more valuable, at least worth the value of the comic plus the cost of grading if the comic is high grade and worth the cost of getting graded. It also makes sense that a CGC comic will sell higher as it basically comes with condition and restoration 'insurance'.

I am amazed at the numbers of collectors here who state that they have no idea how much their collection is worth.

No clue? I find that hard to believe.

Why? If you're financially secure and treat it like a hobby, why would you care? I don't track what my house is worth on a daily basis, so why would I worry about my funny books?

Mine is somewhere between 250 and 500 thousand.

lol, you have no clue either, as I think I could peg mine if I was given a $250,000 margin of error. :roflmao::roflmao:

Was this entire post an elaborate satire?

Having said that. If you have boxes and boxes of bronze age, and they ain't Hulk 181, then you have hundreds of dollars, maybe even a few thousand if sold seperately. No matter what the guide states.

You sound like a dealer I know. lol

I own boxes and boxes and boxes and boxes and boxes of Bronze Age, as it's all I've ever collected, and I can guarantee you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

Not even a single minute clue.

To prove this, just ask BronzeBruce to give us a slight idea what his CGC collection would be worth if sold today. Or how about Ghost Town or World's Best?

My collection was worth $92k (well, that's what my insurance compay gave me for the GA/SA comics that were stolen from me). I truly doubt I'll be able to pickup all the books I lost in the grades that they were purchased in, but it seems like a fun "new" project for me.