• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Got an interesting offer last night

31 posts in this topic

So last night was my school's holiday dinner-dance party. Not a bad time considering it was a work-related function. Only downer was the only entree choices were lamb and crab cakes- I hate both. Oh well.

Now, the football coach was sitting across from me and I start talking about coaching to break the ice. He goes on a bit about how he got into it, and then how he had been wanting to talk to me about this for some time. He knew I was in the army and wanted to see about having me come on board as his offensive line and coach and be in charge of team conditioning training. He knew I was running the conditioning training for the wrestling team, and figured we could talk more once we come back from our 3 week break.

Now, I have to admit if things don't work out with the Ph.D. programs I'm applying to, this is a very interesting proposition. Always wanted to get involved in football, and what a great way to go. Sure makes for a nice consolation prize if I don't get accepted into one of my programs.

Anyhow, just wondering how many others of you out there coach a middle/high school / college sport and what your thoughts are about the experience? (Doesn't have to be football).

lol Well, if I go into the Ph.D. program... we'll have a bit of a pay cut while I'm in school again. After that, however, pay would be relatively decent. If I stay put and take this... I could probably negotiate a little higher than normal pay raise for next year.

Obviously money isn't the issue- otherwise I wouldn't have gone into education! lol Still, it's a pretty cool sounding option if Plan A doesn't work out.

Yep, that I do.

Shoot me a pm with some questions and I will be more than happy to lend my worthless opinion on it.

I just know that football is a freaking year round commitment. And when the season starts its 7 days a week for how ever long the season is. When I coachd at the HS my schedule looked like this:

Monday-Wednesday practice

Thurdsday-walkthrough with the Varsity, game with the JV's

Friday-Varisty game

oh Friday around 11:00 was the first time I see my wife since dinner on Wednesday

Saturday-get trade film and begin watching it. Usually 2-3 hours to watch through twice.

Sunday-get up and watch more film. Then go to the school for a 2-3 hour staff meeting to plan the practices, checks, wrinkles and such for the next week.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Obviously money isn't the issue- otherwise I wouldn't have gone into education! Still, it's a pretty cool sounding option if Plan A doesn't work out.

-------------------------

Hey, don't kid yourself, teachers with PhDs do VERY nicely in well-to-do suburban school districts in CT, Long Island, Westchester, etc. all things considered (other than it being expensive to live there, of course!)

(I work in government too.)

I have helped coach a kids USA Wrestling program for about 7 years. I basically got into it because my kids were doing it. For many years we went Nov to July - through all three styles, and off to Regional competitions. The only thing that keeps me going is that my own kids were doing it. It would really, really be a labor of love without a dog in the fight.

That being said, if you are already doing this for the wrestling program, you probably realize what you are getting in to.

Yep, that I do.

Shoot me a pm with some questions and I will be more than happy to lend my worthless opinion on it.

I just know that football is a freaking year round commitment. And when the season starts its 7 days a week for how ever long the season is. When I coachd at the HS my schedule looked like this:

Monday-Wednesday practice

Thurdsday-walkthrough with the Varsity, game with the JV's

Friday-Varisty game

oh Friday around 11:00 was the first time I see my wife since dinner on Wednesday

Saturday-get trade film and begin watching it. Usually 2-3 hours to watch through twice.

Sunday-get up and watch more film. Then go to the school for a 2-3 hour staff meeting to plan the practices, checks, wrinkles and such for the next week.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Whew! Quite the schedule there. For us in private schools it does run a little bit different. No summer practices/tryouts, and the season is pretty much encapsulated (like any sport) within the beginning of September to the middle of November. Still, I know it will involve a bit of work during that time.

And my posts usually don't attract many Greggys. Something about "you must have X # for a post count before the Greggy will arrive." lol

And my posts usually don't attract many Greggys. Something about "you must have X # for a post count before the Greggy will arrive." lol

You're lucky. lol