• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Got an interesting offer last night

31 posts in this topic

It interests me that school coaches are paid in the U.S. I'd be interested in knowing what I am missing? Are these coaches regular teachers? Do they get paid (stipend?) at the middle school level, also?

Dennis

It interests me that school coaches are paid in the U.S. I'd be interested in knowing what I am missing? Are these coaches regular teachers? Do they get paid (stipend?) at the middle school level, also?

Dennis

Many are regular teachers. However, several in our town are not teachers, but garbagemen, linemen, butchers, etc. Usually only the head coach is paid, while the assistant coaches may or may not be paid, depending on the sport (and the financial condition of the school district). The stipend works out to be about 5 to 10 cents an hour worked.

Coaches in private schools are teachers as well- we have to do lots of extra duties outside of the classroom. My coaching wrestling is part of my job. Now, if I end up taking up something extra, then I might ask for a pay raise to compensate for the additional amount of time spent.

lol Well, if I go into the Ph.D. program... we'll have a bit of a pay cut while I'm in school again. After that, however, pay would be relatively decent. If I stay put and take this... I could probably negotiate a little higher than normal pay raise for next year.

Obviously money isn't the issue- otherwise I wouldn't have gone into education! lol Still, it's a pretty cool sounding option if Plan A doesn't work out.

Not sure what PhD program you're entering, but for most science disciplines it will be a long time before you make what you're making as a HS teacher plus there will be less job security. It would have to be in something like Chemistry or Engineering; anything in the biological sciences would be quite risky for anyone not in their mid 20's. Unless you would love the work and don;t care for your present job- then that's another story.

It's a sad thing that graduate studies in most sciences perpetuate a big lie about the great career after your PhD. In most disciplines, less than 5% of grads end up with a job in academia. Some incredibly high % don't even use their degree 5-10 years after getting it. As a career move it's often a loser. But as I said, if you love that kind of work, it doesn't matter.

PhDs in humanities or Education are something of another story. Many teachers go get a PhD in their Humanities discipline and can go back and teach HS at a much greater pay. Those who get PhD s in Education can go back and be principals. Personally, I think PhDs in a humanities discipline are awesome, very rewarding intellectually, but you need to be somewhat financially well off in order to pursue them. Unlike science PhDs, it's harder to find programs that offer tuiton remission plus stipends (at least it was years ago).

Whatever you decide, good luck. If you go for the degree, just give it 100%.

It'd be a Ph.D. in English Literature specializing in Medieval Lit. Most graduate programs offer somewhere between $10k-$20k + the tuition remission. I'm fortunate that my wife will be working full-time and has a decent salary that will make this possible. It's still a bit of work trying to find a teaching job though with a Ph.D. in English- lots of applicants and not as many jobs. But if I did go back to teaching at a private school afterwards, the pay would be better.

If I don't get accepted into a program, I'll probably take a summer course in coaching football at the nearby community college. Tuition would be free since I'm a vet (yay CT Vet benefit!), and it'd help going into the season having the knowledge base.

It'd be a Ph.D. in English Literature specializing in Medieval Lit. Most graduate programs offer somewhere between $10k-$20k + the tuition remission. I'm fortunate that my wife will be working full-time and has a decent salary that will make this possible. It's still a bit of work trying to find a teaching job though with a Ph.D. in English- lots of applicants and not as many jobs. But if I did go back to teaching at a private school afterwards, the pay would be better.

If I don't get accepted into a program, I'll probably take a summer course in coaching football at the nearby community college. Tuition would be free since I'm a vet (yay CT Vet benefit!), and it'd help going into the season having the knowledge base.

What schools are you going to apply to? I considered a Ph.D in English for about five seconds after undergrad, but it's incredibly hard to find a position afterwards. Hope you like ramen noodles...

Like I said- my wife works, so it wouldn't be that bad. Just nice that I'm lining up the ASM 1 for now cause it would be otherwise impossible to land after I'm done teaching.

And I'm currently applying to UConn's English AND Medieval Studies programs as well as the University of Delaware, UMass, and Lehigh in PA.

I think its a great degree no matter what you do with it. Education is its own reward & this sort of education plays to my personal prejudice as the University of Georgia awarded a BA in English Lit to me (Hugh Kenner rocks!!) a long time ago. I've often considered going back for a PhD but I think I'm finished with school after the JD --- also a long time ago. Too many years of running small businesses & a bookkeeper for a wife obviates the need for an MBA. What else is left? Coaching. Coaching football. I say do it Mac. It is the world's greatest sport ---- well, right after comic book collecting.

GO BUCS!!

I coach both hockey and soccer.....(kids) and the pay involves a photo of the team at the end of the season. Well worth the effort.

I think my wife would leave me if I ever considered coaching as a full time career.

Good luck with it if you do.

Mrs. Sensei coaches a squad at the public school where she teaches. She receives a stipend a little under 2 K after taxes.

Other coaches for other teams are not teachers. As far as I know, they are paid a small amount for their services as well.

This is about the same amount my friends that coach in NY get paid. For the amount of hours the coaches put in they get paid very little. It takes up a huge chunk of time. You're at school for about 7 hours to teach and then are gone for another 2+ hours playing games and running practices. Away games will eat even more time with the travel. For many coaches at the middle and high school level it's more about the love of the sport than the money, except for some of the younger teachers just starting out.