• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A Graphic Novel Question??????? Want Lists accepted!

50 posts in this topic

But yeah, there were none in 1977 for the most part. As far as I'm concerned, there weren't any GN's until the Marvel line in the early '80's.

Some (rightly or wrongly) call any book that had comics in it a graphic novel.

There were reprint trade paperbacks and hard-covers in the 70s....all the Fireside Marvel and DC books. Some of those go for quite a bit of money. There were also some underground collections like Wonder Wart-Hog and the Freak Brothers.

hm

There is also a debate as to whether Gil Kane's book (I can't remember the title) from the late '60's was possibly the first graphic novel.

Marvel certainly advanced the whole concept with their line, but there were definitely many others before them.

But yeah, there were none in 1977 for the most part. As far as I'm concerned, there weren't any GN's until the Marvel line in the early '80's.

There were reprint trade paperbacks and hard-covers in the 70s....all the Fireside Marvel and DC books. Some of those go for quite a bit of money. There were also some underground collections like Wonder Wart-Hog and the Freak Brothers.

hm

There is also a debate as to whether Gil Kane's book (I can't remember the title) from the late '60's was possibly the first graphic novel.

Marvel certainly advanced the whole concept with their line, but there were definitely many others before them.

I just read the Wiki entry on Graphic Novels and it makes a fuss about the Kane book as perhaps being the first. Its a pretty good entry on the topic of GN's etymology.

Do you like the term? I kinda cringe when I hear it in the media. I think its too pretentious and just works to belittle comics in the sense that it is a wink wink nod nod we all know these are funny books but we'll give 'em this fancy name to make 'em palatable, gild the t u r d, silk purse sow's ear, hold our nose, and all that. Its artificial and lacks nutz.

hm

I just read the Wiki entry on Graphic Novels and it makes a fuss about the Kane book as perhaps being the first. Its a pretty good entry on the topic of GN's etymology.

Do you like the term? I kinda cringe when I hear it in the media. I think its too pretentious and just works to belittle comics in the sense that it is a wink wink nod nod we all know these are funny books but we'll give 'em this fancy name to make 'em palatable, gild the t u r d, silk purse sow's ear, hold our nose, and all that. Its artificial and lacks nutz.

I agree to an extent.

But I don't think "comic book" accurately describes some of the more mature themes and stories in some of todays comics, particularly those not in the superhero genre. Comic book and Children's literature are too closely identified because of time, and social expectations.

hm

I agree to an extent.

But I don't think "comic book" accurately describes some of the more mature themes and stories in some of todays comics, particularly those not in the superhero genre. Comic book and Children's literature are too closely identified because of time, and social expectations.

Well, that deserves another one of these hm

hm

Kane's book called "His Name is Savage," featured what was essentially a painting of Lee Marvin on the cover, was very violent and not really very good. I still have my copy.

Just trying to keep you thinking!

I really don't mind the term "Graphic Novel". But I do wish that a term would come along that perfectly describes them to all.

Eclipse had a GN out around 1977/1978. I forget the title but it was by Don McGregor,I believe.. Someone mentioned Eisners Contract With God. I'd add the Fireside Silver Surfer Novel- it was all original,no reprints. And Byron Priess did a couple of all original complete in one book novels that fit the bill,to me.

I'm far from an expert,but I'd consider the European formats for titles like Tin Tin,Asterix,Kelly Green and such as GNs.

In the 80s,Graphic Novel was the term used to describe all new material in a deluxe, larger than usual setting. Trade Paperback was the term used for reprinted material gathered together in a thick but same sized format.

I really don't mind the term "Graphic Novel". But I do wish that a term would come along that perfectly describes them to all.

Here is one from Z that has made me laugh for about a month now:

How about four color fishwrap?

(shrug)