• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Slabbing Moders?

65 posts in this topic

i probably sound like i’m always giving CGC a hard time, but i’m just curious about something and would like to hear other peoples thoughts on this.

also it’s a slow day at work so i figured i’d try a new thread. :grin:

it seems to me that people who are buying slabbed moderns are going to fall into the same type of crash that happened in the 90’s where everyone thought they we’re going to send their kids off to college with all the money they we’re going to make from buying multiple copies of spawn 1 or whatever.

isn’t the same thing going to happen with 9.8 slabbed moderns? won’t people realize at some point that there are untold numbers of 9.8 moderns out there, which will eventually make them worthless?

or am i totally of the mark with this? (shrug)

I have definitely noticed a trend the last couple years specifically where certain modern 9.8 slabs previously thought to be super rare, etc. are only fetching like 1/2 of what they used to.

As more and more supply comes to the marketplace prices will continue to fall.

I know of a couple of sellers who list the same exact modern UNCANNY X-MEN 9.8 slabs on a weekly basis. One seller told me; "we have a ton of them." I remember when they first started selling them, they were getting like $50-$60 a piece. Now they are lucky to crack $25 because there has been so many repeated auctions.

"There's a sucker born every minute..."

I've bought/slabbed moderns, but it wasn't for value. It was because I liked the cover and/or the series and wanted a very high-grade sample.

The idea of making money from modern funny books persists despite the reality.

"Collect what you like, and be an informed consumer."

^^

That being said, I don't understand why folks put money into slabbed moderns when they could buy older books, but to each his own.

I agree, I don't get it. A great rule of thumb is that if people are thinking to save them, they won't be worth anything in the future.

But then again I collect crappy golden age, so what do I know.

you know alot my son, Obi wan has taught you well.

I agree, I don't get it. A great rule of thumb is that if people are thinking to save them, they won't be worth anything in the future.

But then again I collect crappy golden age, so what do I know.

I got destroyed in the early 90's, but then again I was also a insufficiently_thoughtful_person. The very exact moment I realized how foolish I had been was when I was watching the news regarding a report on the death of superman issue. They had video clips showing lines of people all over the place. It was crazy. You would have thought U2 was coming to town with Madonna or something.

So they do this interview with this older lady who obviously is clueless and when asked why she is there, her response is that she is going to put both kids through college 15 years down the road from buying two issues of the death of superman comic.

At this point it was like I got slapped in the face. And the vision of dozens of long boxes that I had accumulated and stashed all over the place with moderns raw comics just overwhelmed me like a :tonofbricks:

But what is that saying?? Shame on me once........

Unlike allot people that were driven out of comics by this period, I actually took it as a lesson in stupidity and began buying up Silver & some Bronze keys. But I think another aspect of this is that if you are going to treat comics as some kind of a commodity in terms of speculation, then it becomes purely a risk reward scenario and you are not really a true collector or pure reader anymore.

I collect certain runs of moderns in CGC 9.8 condition (like the Walking Dead), I'm not buying/collecting them for the investment aspect. I'm collecting them because it's a fun challenge, and in my opinion, this is the best modern comic out there today. I love the series, and it makes me happy, so I collect it :)

I buy slabbed Moderns. I like slabbed Moderns. I don't see anything wrong with it if that's what you like.

And no, I do not expect them to be worth anything down the line. Just like I didn't expect raw copies of X-Force number #1 to be worth anything.

I buy slabbed Moderns. I like slabbed Moderns. I don't see anything wrong with it if that's what you like.

And no, I do not expect them to be worth anything down the line.

That's my thinking exactly! If they happen to be worth something down the road, that's just a bonus.

Right now it's just the enjoyment I get from the books :grin: