• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,092 posts in this topic

On 11/29/2021 at 12:19 PM, PopKulture said:

Some recent pick-ups. I have played some of the same games since I was a kid with the earlier Overstreets of picking my favorites from each row or group of artifacts. Which book would you take from each row?  :foryou:

DB37F800-018C-4C73-AD4D-60C51178B8EC.jpeg

I'll take the Dime, the Avenger and the Phantom Detective :cheers:

On 11/13/2021 at 6:00 PM, OtherEric said:

Found at the local store today, or more specifically the owner pointed out some PKD digests he had just gotten in.  This one was the one I picked, because of this news this week, although I may get others if they're still there next time I'm in:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/philip-k--vulcans-hammer-francis-lawrence-1235043911/

Future_29.jpg

Love the whites on that - super fresh looking

On 12/4/2021 at 4:52 PM, Artifiction said:

What differentiates a pulp book/novel from a paperback? Just curious.

Generally 'pulp' with no qualifiers generally refers to a pulp magazine.  Paperbacks from the 40's to the 60's that reprint material from the pulp magazines, or contain new material similar to the pulp magazines, are considered pulp fiction or pulp paperbacks.  Or at least that's what I've got as a starting point, with about a billion exceptions.  It's one of those "you know it when you see it" situations in a lot of ways, for better or for worse.  I think one of the signatures of pulp is it's produced cheaply from a manufacturing standpoint.

Anybody else want to take a crack at an explanation? 

On 12/4/2021 at 8:12 PM, OtherEric said:

Generally 'pulp' with no qualifiers generally refers to a pulp magazine.  Paperbacks from the 40's to the 60's that reprint material from the pulp magazines, or contain new material similar to the pulp magazines, are considered pulp fiction or pulp paperbacks.  Or at least that's what I've got as a starting point, with about a billion exceptions.  It's one of those "you know it when you see it" situations in a lot of ways, for better or for worse.  I think one of the signatures of pulp is it's produced cheaply from a manufacturing standpoint.

Anybody else want to take a crack at an explanation? 

Thanks, Eric, for taking a crack at answering my question. I googled for information before asking, and really couldn't find a definitive answer. The reason for my asking is because after I posted a scan of my "Cave Girl" book in another (wrong) thread, I got to thinking that it might be considered a paperback book, and not a pulp. That made me want to find out for sure what the differences are. I was thinking that maybe the date published or even cost might be the difference. Again, thanks for taking the time to help.

On 12/4/2021 at 5:33 PM, Artifiction said:

Thanks, Eric, for taking a crack at answering my question. I googled for information before asking, and really couldn't find a definitive answer. The reason for my asking is because after I posted a scan of my "Cave Girl" book in another (wrong) thread, I got to thinking that it might be considered a paperback book, and not a pulp. That made me want to find out for sure what the differences are. I was thinking that maybe the date published or even cost might be the difference. Again, thanks for taking the time to help.

No worries.  I would describe the book you posted (a nice cover I hadn't seen before, by the way) as a pulp paperback or pulp fiction but not as a pulp without a qualifier.

On 12/4/2021 at 8:38 PM, OtherEric said:

No worries.  I would describe the book you posted (a nice cover I hadn't seen before, by the way) as a pulp paperback or pulp fiction but not as a pulp without a qualifier.

Thanks for the compliment. I appreciate it. Figured I'd post the "Cave Girl" scan, here, so that anyone reading this will know what we're talking about. 

img20211204_18102065.jpg

Edited by Artifiction

On 12/4/2021 at 7:33 PM, Artifiction said:

I’ve seen these hundreds of paperbacks books like this either for sale or at conventions by people that sell them specifically, and they refer to them as paperbacks.

Although a cool cover, there’s no relation to  pulp magazines, It’s a completely different category like Pulps or Comics. 

On 12/4/2021 at 7:33 PM, Artifiction said:

"Cave Girl" is a paperback book. 

"Pulp," in the context of describing a product, is a magazine, i.e., the same title was published on a regular basis, on cheap, untreated, raw, wood pulp. "Pulp" was an in-group term used by publishers, writers, and artists to differentiate from "slicks," magazines that were printed on glossy paper. "Pulp" also became known as a genre of writing in itself, though it's applied quite broadly.

It gets confusing since many pulp magazine articles were reprinted in paperback books, and these are often described as "pulp," an allusion to "pulp" as a genre of writing found in the original magazines, or a character that originally appeared in same. 

On 12/4/2021 at 7:52 PM, Artifiction said:

What differentiates a pulp book/novel from a paperback? Just curious.

In addition to what others have said, paperbacks (and digests) are considerably smaller in size than a pulp.  As mentioned, pulps are magazines, and with a few exceptions contain multiple stories, novellas, and/or serials.  Though there are many examples of mixed-anthology paperbacks, the vast majority contain a work by a single author.  True pulps ran from the very late 1800s through the mid-1950s.  Paperbacks (as we think of them, though there are much earlier examples) ran from 1939 to today.  Pulps came out regularly, like other magazines... weekly, monthly, quarterly, etc, and will mostly have a logo design repeated across multiple issues (like comics do, such as Action Comics or Marvel Mystery).  A paperback is a single entity ("The Cave Girl" by Edgar Rice Burroughs) just like a hardback book is.

On 12/7/2021 at 11:14 AM, Bookery said:

In addition to what others have said, paperbacks (and digests) are considerably smaller in size than a pulp.  As mentioned, pulps are magazines, and with a few exceptions contain multiple stories, novellas, and/or serials.  Though there are many examples of mixed-anthology paperbacks, the vast majority contain a work by a single author.  True pulps ran from the very late 1800s through the mid-1950s.  Paperbacks (as we think of them, though there are much earlier examples) ran from 1939 to today.  Pulps came out regularly, like other magazines... weekly, monthly, quarterly, etc, and will mostly have a logo design repeated across multiple issues (like comics do, such as Action Comics or Marvel Mystery).  A paperback is a single entity ("The Cave Girl" by Edgar Rice Burroughs) just like a hardback book is.

Thank you for the information. Other than in pictures, I have never really seen a true "pulp magazine". It might be interesting to see a size comparison photo of one. Even better than that, I could buy one. Not only would that tell me all that I need to know, I'd also be adding a piece of great cover art to my collection. Win win!