• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I'll pound you to a "Pulp" if you don't show off yours!
23 23

9,110 posts in this topic

Among the pulps that will be in the Friday night (May 6) auction at this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (May 6-8, 2022 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL) from the estate of Bob Weinberg will be in a complete set of the classic space opera pulp, Planet Stories. This beautiful issue, dated Spring 1949, is one of 'em. Clear ether!

Planet Stories 1949 Spring.jpg

On 1/15/2022 at 11:18 AM, RedFury said:

Yes, it certainly looks like it! :cry:

I always see excerpted coverless stories, sometimes several from one author together, from pulps for sale online, so this could be one of those issues that had stories harvested then got stapled back together (shrug)

On 1/15/2022 at 12:54 PM, Surfing Alien said:

I always see excerpted coverless stories, sometimes several from one author together, from pulps for sale online, so this could be one of those issues that had stories harvested then got stapled back together (shrug)

I've got one like that, it was cheap so I kept it.  Somebody had compiled all of "Pirates of Venus" by Burroughs in Argosy into a single volume.  Pretty neat in its own way, even if part of me was screaming about the 6 pulps that were destroyed to make it.

The strongest early competitor to Weird Tales was the pulp, Strange Tales, which ran for seven issues between September 1931 and January 1933. A complete set of Strange Tales will be in the Friday night (May 6) auction at this year's Windy City Pulp and Paper Convention (May 6-8, 2022 at the Westin Lombard Yorktown Center in Lombard, IL) from the estate of Bob Weinberg. Here's the copy of the first issue which will be in the auction, with a classic cover by Hans Wesso and stories by authors such as Clark Ashton Smith and Ray Cummings. Smith's story in the issue, "The Return of the Sorcerer," would be reprinted in 1942 in the CAS Arkham House collection, "Out of Space and Time."

strange tales 1931 09.jpg