• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is ebay about to end all sniping?

322 posts in this topic

using sniping software sucks. I hope they can end the practice.

If you want an item...bid on it and sit your tail in front of the computer til the auction ends.

using sniping software is cheating.

I'm late to this thead and I've seen responses to this already, but how is sniping software different from sitting in front of the computer and bidding at the last minute?

So using technology and automation is bad? Then people shouldn't bid online on ebay and place their bids via carrier pigeon.

Sniping is available to everyone, not just a select few. How is it cheating?

Malvin

Sniping is not cheating, plain and simple. Only if you're doing it as a shill bid. Anti-sniping software on ebay would only increase the pain in the factor and make it more time consuming and clumsy to bid.

Ebay's software already makes it too difficult to bid in the last few seconds.

Have you ever been outbid with a few seconds left but because you have to type in numerous commands you simply don't have the time to place another bid?

If ebay would do what other sites do -- and allow you to bid one more time with a single click -- then many items would get higher bids.

Didn't Ebay just add that option?

using sniping software sucks. I hope they can end the practice.

If you want an item...bid on it and sit your tail in front of the computer til the auction ends.

using sniping software is cheating.

I'm late to this thead and I've seen responses to this already, but how is sniping software different from sitting in front of the computer and bidding at the last minute?

So using technology and automation is bad? Then people shouldn't bid online on ebay and place their bids via carrier pigeon.

Sniping is available to everyone, not just a select few. How is it cheating?

Malvin

Sniping is not cheating, plain and simple. Only if you're doing it as a shill bid. Anti-sniping software on ebay would only increase the pain in the factor and make it more time consuming and clumsy to bid.

Ebay's software already makes it too difficult to bid in the last few seconds.

Have you ever been outbid with a few seconds left but because you have to type in numerous commands you simply don't have the time to place another bid?

If ebay would do what other sites do -- and allow you to bid one more time with a single click -- then many items would get higher bids.

Didn't Ebay just add that option?

Yes

I can't fairly compete without sniping software as most auctions end at 4 AM for me...and even if I stay up, I'm not as fit and dexterous then as I should be to manually snipe (shrug)

Why don't you just decide on a price, and bid it before you go to bed? (shrug)

Because it leaves you open to shilling...especially with the new "hide-IDs" that ebay uses and it shows your hand too early.

OK, I just don't get this....

What's the difference between being outbid by a shill and a legitimate bidder? (shrug)

And if the price goes higher than you want to pay, what should you care?

Then why should you care when someone outbids you in the last ten seconds or a day earlier? (shrug)

I don't.

It's just irritating to know all the activity takes place in the last minute and you can never guage your chances during the auction.

In other words...you do care...even though you keep saying you don't.

I can't fairly compete without sniping software as most auctions end at 4 AM for me...and even if I stay up, I'm not as fit and dexterous then as I should be to manually snipe (shrug)

Because it leaves you open to shilling...especially with the new "hide-IDs" that ebay uses and it shows your hand too early.

What's the difference between being outbid by a shill and a legitimate bidder? (shrug)

Then why should you care when someone outbids you in the last ten seconds or a day earlier? (shrug)

I don't.

It's just irritating to know all the activity takes place in the last minute and you can never guage your chances during the auction.

I don't care about "losing" the book .

Sniping still seems like people wanting to turn the bidding process into a video game for their thrills IMO....and it's irritating.

The reasons given for it seem to be more in people's heads....or they have entirely too much time on their hands.....

Yes you do. Isn't that the point? Otherwise, why bid? People bid, generally speaking, to win the item.

Sniping still seems like people wanting to turn the bidding process into a video game for their thrills IMO....and it's irritating.

Using your argument I could say that it's the complete opposite - if I bid early, I can watch all the incremental shill or punishment bids roll in - that'd be more of a spectacle for the neutral observer. Too bad that there is an element of fun in the bidding process, and people might enjoy themselves, eh?

The reasons given for it seem to be more in people's heads....or they have entirely too much time on their hands.....

Judging by your posts the reasons are entirely in your head. There is only one reason to snipe - to win the item.

There are some mis perceptions about sniping. First is that it ends shill bidding. Nope that is incorrect. What is going to stop a shill bid from sniping? The shill is going to put his shill bid to drive up the price no matter if you are going to snipe or if you are not going to snipe. The shill bid will be placed. Also, sniping only stops punishment bidding when the person does not know that you are going to bid on it and you have no interest in it. For instance, Cal can snipe all he wants. But the fact of the matter is that people realize there is a very high chance he will bid on that 9.4 IMSM comic. Because of this people. will probably still place in a punishment bid if they feel so inclined. I believe that the Ebay system is a good system for common stuff. But if you have something that is extremely rare and valuable I think that an extended auction is so much better.

Yes, it's all true. I snipe because it's like a video game and because the voices in my head tell me to. Saving money, having a better chance of winning the item and not having to sit in front of the computer waiting for the auction to end have NOTHING to do with it. :screwy:

Yes, it's all true. I snipe because it's like a video game and because the voices in my head tell me to. Saving money, having a better chance of winning the item and not having to sit in front of the computer waiting for the auction to end have NOTHING to do with it. :screwy:

:applause:

And here we have Andy, once again, dragging logic, kicking and screaming, into a conversation that obviously has no use for it. ;)

And here we have Andy, once again, dragging logic, kicking and screaming, into a conversation that obviously has no use for it. ;)

Yeah, curse you and your logic and reasoning abilities.

My input on this:

I snipe because I don't want other people to know the hidden gems I've found on ebay (bulk lots, listed incorrectly, etc). If I bid in advance, anyone can find my bids placed through ebay and see what I've found before the auction is over.

I snipe because of certain dorks that will bid 10,15,20 times, all in small increments, until they just beat my bid. My one nemisis in particular is not a shill, just an i d i o t. He almost never wins, just drives up my bid.

I snipe to get the lowest price possible by bidding in the last second.

I snipe to avoid shill bidders (hard to shill up my bid when it isn't placed, and no reason to shill if the shill wins the auction).

I snipe so I don't forget to bid on an auction (like ones that end at 3 a.m.).

I snipe to avoid punishment bids.

Another big point I did not see posted:

Snipe bombs. Item worth 25 bucks, put a snipe in for 100. Guaranteed to win. Gets funny when two people do it, and it generates lots of xtra cash for the seller and ebay.

The way I see it, if ebay tries to get rid of sniping, it will only hurt the prices realized on big ticket items. It will affect the amount I'm willing to bid or even if I bid at all.

The way I see it, if ebay tries to get rid of sniping, it will only hurt the prices realized on big ticket items. It will affect the amount I'm willing to bid or even if I bid at all.

Manual snipe. :whistle:

Most auctions don't end until 11 or 12 Eastern time. Unless greggy is keeping awake, I usually have fallen asleep and have forgetten all about the auction. :(

Manuel snipes for me.

That's the name of one of bidnips 72 servers.

lol

Most auctions don't end until 11 or 12 Eastern time. Unless greggy is keeping awake, I usually have fallen asleep and have forgetten all about the auction. :(

He he he

I can get more stuff then. :cloud9:

The old days of eBay had more great deals before the damn sniping began

:eek:

He he he

I can get more stuff then. :cloud9:

The old days of eBay had more great deals before the damn sniping began

:eek:

Yet, you whine like a little baby when the junk you're selling sells at a low price. Can't have it both ways.

I don't.

Yeah...ok. :screwy: