• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I made a big trade at the local con this weekend

32 posts in this topic

I traded all the stuff I brought for:

http://www.avalonconsulting.biz/comics/images/supes001050a.jpg

http://www.avalonconsulting.biz/comics/images/supes001050b.jpg

It's got a bunch of restoration (EP - color touch, tear seals, cleaned and pressed, some stuff added). I've always dreamed of getting this comic, so I don't really care too much. It grades a 5.0, but has very good eye appeal. What do y'all think based on this scan?

A bigger scan reveals a lot of the restoration, like the pressing and some color touch. I always thought that the "Apparent" part of the grade was supposed to be what the thing looks like including all the restoration. I would guess this to look a 7.0, maybe 8.0. Dunno though.

I got it from Graham Cracker Comics. Traded 12 long boxes of modern [!@#%^&^] and about $12,000 worth of CGC stuff for it. I know I paid too much (he had it marked at $18,500!), based on historical Heritage sales, but it's a comic I always wanted.

It's very unnerving walking around a convention floor carrying a comic like that in a little plastic bag. Fortunately, it's now safely in the bank and I have these lovely scans to remind me of it.

So now, I basically have nothing left to sell and need to work on getting Superman 2 through 149 to complete the Supes run.

cloud9.gif

Our local comicon is next Sunday.

I hope to do some trades too (on a much, much smaller scale).

Got to find a GVG FF 12 and maybe a Good FF 2 ... 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

That's a beee-yootiful book, Bob - I'm jealous! I'm also convinced that it won't be long before even extensively restored copies of GA keys like this are selling for a much higher % of guide, simply because they're nearly unavailable in mid-/high-grade. I'd say that looks like a solid F/VF 7.0 ...but you might want to take a couple of slices of Wonder Bread to it and bump it up to an 8.0 ! insane.gif

I'm not planning on selling it any time soon, so I'm not going to pay the 2.5% Walkthrough fee for a regrade.

But I imagine it will be sold at some point, like when I kack. It's not like I'll be upgrading this puppy!

Something keeps whispering in the back of my mind that when my Marvel runs and upgrading have slowed down, that I'll end up trying to collect Superman and/or Batman. So, to bring that back-of-the-mind whisper to the front for a second--I'M VERY JEALOUS! smirk.gif

Congratulations! What a wonderful book to own. It has great eye appeal and I think the back cover of yours looks a little better than mine. I'm sure this is giving you a tremendous sense of satisfaction. Cool! smile.gif

I'll take a stab at guessing around 350-400 copies exist. Certainly much more common than Action #1 or Tec #27. It's really hard to guess how many copies exist of any GA comic with any accuracy. Gerber made a bold first attempt at it with his rarity scale. Folks like Metropolis would probably have a better idea than me. You just never know how rare some books are. confused-smiley-013.gif

893applaud-thumb.gif

Congrats!

The Apparent condition looks much higher than 5. What are we missing? I'd have thought a higher number than anyone has guessed... maybe 8.5 or 9.

But you haven't mentioned, is this a 1st print or 2nd or 3rd? Or is it a mystery?

Superman #1 printing differences

But you'd have to free it to find out!

"Superman #1, on its last interior page (not the inside back cover), bore a house ad for Action Comics #14. MicroColor's microfiche copy of Superman #1 advertised Action Comics #14 as being 'Now on Sale'. For some reason, I decided to compare the page with its reprints in Famous First Edition #C-61, and in Superman Archives Vol. 1. Both of those reprints said that Action Comics #14 would be 'On Sale June 2nd'."

"I think the most supportable statement we can make is that a copy with "Now on Sale" is definitely NOT a first printing, and that a copy with "On Sale June 2nd" is definitely NOT a third printing.

My understanding of this statement is an "On sale June 2nd" version would be a 1st or (maybe) 2nd printing."