• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2008 GRADING CONTEST : ROUND 16

138 posts in this topic

hm I think this round may have had the widest range of grades submitted --- all the way from a 3.0 to a 9.0 :o
Yet, it's the one with the 3rd most correct guesses :whistle:

Great...back to back -2s...had no frame of reference for double staple rust migration all the way through...figured the best a book could grade with that particular defect, an unstable defect mind you that could continue to damage the book, couldn't/shouldn't grade better than 5.5...

Which is interesting...how much flak as a seller do you think you'd encounter by advertising a book as 7.5 with rusty staples all the way through to the centerfold...I would think that you would get a ton of mess... :censored:

Great...back to back -2s...had no frame of reference for double staple rust migration all the way through...figured the best a book could grade with that particular defect, an unstable defect mind you that could continue to damage the book, couldn't/shouldn't grade better than 5.5...

Which is interesting...how much flak as a seller do you think you'd encounter by advertising a book as 7.5 with rusty staples all the way through to the centerfold...I would think that you would get a ton of mess... :censored:

I think you're going by Overstreet standards which have rigid thresholds for certain defects. CGC grades from 10.0 down with no rigid thresholds.

I think that this Grading Contest is a great learning experience actually (thumbs u

I think you're going by Overstreet standards which have rigid thresholds for certain defects. CGC grades from 10.0 down with no rigid thresholds.

I think that this Grading Contest is a great learning experience actually (thumbs u

:acclaim:

:mad:

Can't wait to see what defects we'll be facing in the final rounds. If I'm going to go down in flames......I might as well learn something. :headbang:

Can't wait to see what defects we'll be facing in the final rounds. If I'm going to go down in flames......I might as well learn something. :headbang:

:wishluck:

I hope Nik's got a book with notebook punch holes! :sumo:

Oh...I definitely agree I am learning the hard way (my 1st contest)...but it is a great exercise and still a lot of fun even though I'm in the basement...I just don't have many books below CGC 9.0 to compare these "questionable" books with and in this last contest's case, rusty staples...

As a focused microcosm of grading, and the various contributing factors that warrant a given grade, I think this draws even further debate into what should constitute a given grade (as CGC does not disclose a fairly detailed criteria vis-a-vis OS guide)...

I'm not complaining...but I think if this book were put up for sale the seller should "disclose" in the description the rusted staples aspect as it is not defined in the label... 2c

And a major hats-off to Nik for the contest which is a lotta fun and as discussed, a learning exercise as well...would love to meet some of you in the future... (thumbs u

TOM (not CAL) :insane::frustrated:lol