• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Your first comic?

311 posts in this topic

Probably an issue of Sad Sack or related title circa 1965. I only read Harvey and Gold Key Disney & Lulu books until I was about 8 or so. Then my grandfather started sending me Tin Tin books on my birthday and at Christmas - and that became my new favorite. In 1968 I discovered Marvel and I was done with the "kids stuff" until I was old enough to realize that the genius of Barks and Stanley knows no age limit.

I don't remember what my first Marvel was - but the first one that "blew my mind" was Captain America #111.

Human Fly #1

[font:Verdana]Nice choice! [/font] :takeit:

My 1st comic was likely ASM #191 vs. the coolest Robot Spider-Slayer ever! (thumbs u

My original copy has my full name written on the cover, thanks to my mother, because I took it in for show-and-tell in Kindergarten! :gossip:lol

ASM191Cover.jpg

*Stock pic...

It was one of three. Mu older brother brought them into the house and these are the three earliest ones I remember reading. Probably explains why I'm STILL a DC guy today:

Detective #299 or 300, I only remember the Mad HAtter story where Bats (or was it Robin?) takes a hat pin from an old ladies hat and punctures the Hatters escape balloon.

A Superboy one with two Superboys on the cover and one of them spends the entire issue with a big mtal grey belt buckle. Which baffled me as a kid.

And the classic Superman's brother issue- the iconic pic of Luthor in A Superman costume standing over an unconscious Supes brandishing a girder is seared into my brain.

(Have no ideas what the #s were.)

It was a three pack. One of the issues was a Flash 257 which became my favorite. The other two were a Batman which is also a favorite and a Wonder Woman which I gave to my brother.

Looks like alot of people started with G.I. Joe.

I am in that group too. I think my first comics was G.I.Joe #26

I remember going to a local gas station/convient mkt and buying them off of the rack. I remember G.I.Joe and Secret Wars series. I loved Storm Shadow!!

My first comic was Tales of Suspense 81 (Sept 1966). I was ten years old. The 2nd Iron Man/Titanium Man battle was starting, Gene Colan was drawing some of his most atmospheric images ever, and the back up story was a Captain America tale drawn by the incredible Jack Kirby and inked by Frank Gaicoia, the conclusion of the original Cosmic Cube story. I scarcely understood what I was reading, especially in the Cap story, but the action was mind-blowing and Cap's victory over the Red Skull, despite the Skull's incredible advantage in the cosmic cube, was poetry to me. I was putty in Stan Lee's hands.

tos81.jpg

first comics were most likely charlie brown stuff & archies... my first real comic I have no idea what ... how ever the first one I went into a comic book shop & brought when I was a kid was a jim lee x-men #1 when I went up and asked for a x-men #1 thats what the guy pulled out for me heh :D

It was also the first thing I decided to buy cgc when I decided to start getting cgc books ...

PDR_2801.jpg

first comics were most likely charlie brown stuff & archies... my first real comic I have no idea what ... how ever the first one I went into a comic book shop & brought when I was a kid was a jim lee x-men #1 when I went up and asked for a x-men #1 thats what the guy pulled out for me heh :D

It was also the first thing I decided to buy cgc when I decided to start getting cgc books ...

PDR_2801.jpg

Did Jim Lee sign the holder itself?

I was very lucky with my first comics:

My very first comics were Amazing Spider-Man 257 + Secret Wars 3, 4 and 5. (I still love that cover with Hulk holding up the mountain) I loved these Secret Wars comics cause they had these pages that named all the characters, so you could learn who was who.

All of those comics were bought at my local grocery store too.

Buying comics from the magazine rack in a grocery store made my first trip to a comic book store incredible a few years later, since I already had a love for comics. Kid in a candy store!

I'm in the same boat. I can't remember exactly which was my very first book becuase I usually took my $2.00 allowance and bought 3 at a time. But I think I can pinpoint it to the Secret Wars 4 or ASM #256 or a UXM #183 or DD #189

Where Monsters Dwell #8

Cover dated March 1971. I would have just turned 8 years old. I distinctly remember asking my mom what the word "dwell" meant.

The Steve Ditko backup story really impacted me and stuck with me for years. Of course, I had no idea at the time that it was a reprint.

wmd8.jpg

I grew up in a small town with only the local drugstore selling comics. All I could get there was Archie, Richie Rich and some Uncle Scrooge comics. All great fun reading especially as a kid. When I moved to a bigger to attend university I got to go to my first real comic shop. I think my first comics purchased there was Magnus Vs Predator and the Batman- Death in the family run.

My Dad bought me my first comic at six years old: Star Wars #1. Which explains my closet full of comic books and star wars figures.

How old are you?

Anyhow, this sounds about like me but it was my mother who bought my first Star Wars comics/toys. I'm not sure of the age but I was 3yrs old when the movie hit the threaters.

Batman #234... the Neal Adams' pirate ship in the swamp cover, with Two-Face's face superimposed... That image and art style really impacted my 4 year old mind! Found it in Joe's Junk, a little shop down on the river in Marshall, NC that used to have a HUGE warehouse of furniture and old stuff upstairs, but the basement was just stacks upon stacks of old magazines, comics and books... Ah, memories :cool: