• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Art behind glass: Show off your framed art!
11 11

2,015 posts in this topic

On 11/18/2022 at 10:49 AM, Andahaion said:

Picked up two pieces by Liam Sharp from Albert's booth at Baltimore Comic Con a few weeks ago.  Really fun time at the con this year.  I need to go to more shows as I tend to run into things that are not online (or maybe I'm not as obsessively checking as some of you).  To that point, Albert had a whole portfolio of new art that Liam recently gave to him, none of it even priced yet.  I saw this splash and pretty much knew this was the example for me.  Love the loose rendering, really different from the other piece I picked up which is a tightly rendered WW pinup.  It's huge, 21" x 16.5".  This is from GL Season 2, #7, page 22.  Written by Grant Morrison.

Green Lantern Season 2, #6, Page 22 - Liam Sharp.jpg

GL Season 2 OA.jpg

That's awesome!
I don't think I've seen any comic art that size, I need to experience it.

On 11/26/2022 at 10:23 AM, ThothAmon said:

Outbid a Legend to get this during the Jon Berk auction. Kinda like to believe the “Fantom” was the first Black superhero? I’ve always been tempted to crack it out of the frame as I’d love to see the back and without the matting. 

image.jpg

As I recall, he was white. One version of his costume was a full body wrap. 

On 12/3/2022 at 10:53 AM, MrBedrock said:

foxhole2cover.jpg

That is very classy. Love the subdued green mat and the coffee brown frame - perfect for a war comic cover - and by freakin' Kirby, no less.

Got my X-Men Animated Series original art pieces back from the framer today. With the way I asked them to be framed I knew they’d fit perfectly into this slot on my modern/commission wall. I’d say I’ve maxed out the available wall space on this wall, no? 🤔😂

79AA8E31-183F-4288-BF61-749F8598431A.thumb.jpeg.5861bfa693b5576208ee45d05d95619b.jpeg
B52D23E6-A914-4F6C-965E-58592C8301B0.thumb.jpeg.aca5ba7b8d5575474895f84131b254e5.jpeg

0AA41BB0-7954-43AD-BACF-E5BA3196D853.thumb.jpeg.90a2551216b59fe1426abb70453a6f9f.jpeg

Edited by fmaz

On 1/27/2023 at 1:58 PM, PixelPusher said:

I love the uniform look you were able to achieve. Can you share what you're using for the frames or are they custom? 

Absolutely! I use the Mainstays frames from Wal-Mart. A couple tips about the frames:

1. Order them online, they are cheaper than buying them at the actual store. All but about 10 of mine I ordered online.

2. I've never had a single one broken during shipping - the Mainstays 3-pack packaging was developed really well to get your frame to you unbroken.

3. If you do go to an actual Wal-Mart, look carefully at the corners to make sure the frame or glass has not cracked (the weak spots are at the corners).

The snap frames are super simple, made with real glass and are very low profile so you can show off the art more than the frame. I love em, they're great. I made a cardboard template to help me make sure I spaced them out uniformly. Because at the time I was laying out my wall, I only had about 8 or 9 frames - so what I did was create this template and put all my nails in the wall for the frames I had yet to buy. That way, as I got more frames, I could just put them right up without trying to figure out how I had spaced them out a week or two before. Made it easy.

IMG_2053.thumb.JPG.65f2ea64297f41cdc85590a6a3eaf19b.JPG

And, I lied about my wall space. I moved some things around and did up my other wall on the other side of the room. Now, I'm out of wall space.

IMG_2052.JPG

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 1/27/2023 at 3:23 PM, Wolvie_Fan said:

A few of the published pieces from Wolverine #90 by Adam Kubert. I just used a basic black frame with a black mat. Framing double, triple and quadruple page splashes, I really tried to keep it basic.  

IMG_20230127_171208993.jpg

Holy cr@p! Man, I would love to hear a little background on how you got these pages! Wolvie 90 is the single greatest comic issue of the run.

On 1/27/2023 at 8:11 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Holy cr@p! Man, I would love to hear a little background on how you got these pages! Wolvie 90 is the single greatest comic issue of the run.

I agree with you Doc, one of the best books from the 90's.  Looks like he owns the whole book:

https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=229037

Pretty friggin cool.

On 1/28/2023 at 9:16 AM, Jamie.Merwin said:

I agree with you Doc, one of the best books from the 90's.  Looks like he owns the whole book:

https://www.comicartfans.com/galleryroom.asp?gsub=229037

Pretty friggin cool.

tumblr_ml9j0m3o9G1rvy37lo1_250.gif

The fact someone owns the whole book actually makes me pretty happy. Wow. What an accomplishment. The magnitude of the story, the layouts and the issue itself deserve to be kept together whole.

Edited by Dr. Balls

On 1/27/2023 at 1:18 PM, Dr. Balls said:

Absolutely! I use the Mainstays frames from Wal-Mart. A couple tips about the frames...

Thanks for the super informative reply! I saw these exact frames before and they were very tempting. Good to know that they come highly recommended. The cardboard spacer between frames is very clever.

How are you positioning the art when it's not quote 11x17? I spy some little black corner supports and a black background.

Do you ever have to trim the art ever-so-slightly to fit it in the frame ? This is something I imagine I will run into and I'm torn.

On 1/28/2023 at 12:34 PM, PixelPusher said:

Thanks for the super informative reply! I saw these exact frames before and they were very tempting. Good to know that they come highly recommended. The cardboard spacer between frames is very clever.

How are you positioning the art when it's not quote 11x17? I spy some little black corner supports and a black background.

Do you ever have to trim the art ever-so-slightly to fit it in the frame ? This is something I imagine I will run into and I'm torn.

I've come across artboards that are 1/4" over 11x17 and I trim them to 11x17. Some people take issue with that, and that's okay. To me, I'm not altering the image area and these aren't Picassos, so taking off 1/8" paper on either side isn't going to make any difference at all when it comes to the historical provenance of the artwork.

I have a Steve Mannion piece that is odd-sized, and I considered trimming it slightly to fit until I turned it over. He had some loose sketches and thoughts written down that really added to the uniqueness of it - and in that case, trimming would have cut off some of his writing, and I didn't want to do that, so I went up to a 12x18" frame.

And yes, I use photo corners to mount smaller pages to an 11x17 page in the frame, or I leave a gap at the top or bottom. Mainstays also makes a 12x18" frame of the same design, so if you have larger boards and don't/can't trim them, you can always step up a size, too.

The Mainstays have white and black paper in the package, which could be used as a 'spacer' of sorts if you have a smaller image. I would recommend getting some acid free paper and throwing out the paper in the Mainstays packaging, just to avoid any long-term yellowing from the board touching cheaply manufacturer packaging materials that may have higher acid/ph concentrations in them.

And also with that, the Mainstays frames are super cheap and have inexpensive glass. My office does not get any daylight, and the lights are on for maybe an hour every day (and they are all LED bulbs that emit very little UV) - I don't worry too much about light exposure to the art. I maintain the humidity level in my basement (with de-humidifiers) to 40-50% relative humidity (as recommended by LOC) since that is where my paper collectibles are all stored.

My biggest goal was to have nearly all of my art as "wall art", and buying custom framing for 40 pieces of art was not going to happen - so these mainstays were a perfect solution.