• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why cant I find a high grade GI Joe 21??

191 posts in this topic

Hello...this is my first post and Im new to this so go easy on me! Ive been collecting comics for 20 years now and Im just getting back into it with full force. Im trying to complete my NM/Mint 1-30 set of 80s Joes and I cant seem to find a NM copy of #21 anywhere! Is this issue that hard to find or am I just looking in the wrong places? I bought a few NM (cough) copies from e-bay that looked like and nobody seems to sell any CGC graded copies. My other question is ...If they grade a copy of Hulk 181 in a 9.9 thats 28 years old then how come there arent any mere 9.8s of Joe 21 graded yet? Thanks for listening...... D-

I think Hulk 181 is just a much more obvious book to get graded... you can't lose on encapsulating a higher grade Hulk 181 - even if you only get a 9.0 on a book you thought was a 9.4, the slabbing will have paid off because you can sell that 9.0 for $800 or whatever the going rate is right now, which is more than you could get for the book raw. On the other hand, your Joe 21 has to be really high grade to be worth your while. Consider that a total of 988 copies of Hulk 181 have been graded vs only 47 for Joe 21. Trust me, if 988 copies of Joe 21 had been graded, there would be a 9.9 in there somewhere.

I don't really think #21 is materially scarcer than the other issues. It's just in demand right now so it's tough to find one to buy. Guys like Rickdogg (a poster on this forum) are salivating over their keyboards looking for nice copies. But they are out there - my buddy bought a NM/NM+ copy for 25c in a cheapie bin a year ago.

Cheers.

I bought a #21 off of wolvergeek that was CGC 9.4 ow/w tongue.gif Believe me, I paid for my yearning shocked.gif. They are surely out there, but I haven't seen any in any condition in my area. The raw ones on ebay look like junk so I just went with a slabbed copy to complete my run tongue.gif

Good luck

it's the damn kids i tell you, they read/looked that issue over and over, and im sure they let their friends read it too. CGC NM/MINT 9.8 would give rickdogg a woody and he'd probably trade his IF 14 CGC NM+ 9.6 for it. tongue.gifwink.gifblush.gifshocked.gifgrin.gif

Thats the truth...I beat up my copy I had when I was younger! Its so easy to damage that dark cover. I wonder if it may become (to use a generic overused phrase) the "Hulk 181 or GSX 1 of the Modern age"??? Maybe not considering theres probably a guy in Wyoming somewhere who has 3 longboxes of them in Mint condition. Oh well.....If anyone wants to sell me thier copy in 9.4 or higher please feel free to name your asking price!

Whoah now. It's nowhere near Hulk 181 territory. I mean really, what is in that book of substance?

So it's a "silent" issue. Big fat hairy deal. So it takes all of 30 seconds to read.

1st appearance of a couple ninjas? OK, that's mildly cool.... but is it rare, the first appearance of a major character or some other high water mark? No, no and no.

Neat book but definitely in minor key territory.

Rickdogg's woody notwithstanding wink.gif

It sure is a GI classic but I don't see it ever being compared to an Incredible Hulk #181.

Scoff now, but you'll rue the day you didn't drop big $$$ for your copy of THE silent issue. Soon Cobra will take over the world and Destro will declare the issue to be the new Manifesto of Cobra Corps....

now you know...and knowing is half the battle.... tongue.gif

So what are considered major key books of the modern age? Please excuse my ignorance of the theme. Im in the minority here but I give a vote for #21 as a key book of this era.

Key issues of the Modern Age...

Unfortunately it is probably too soon to tell. Many keys are not recognized at the time because their impact isn't seen until later. No one gave a rat's butt about Wolverine when he first appeared...

A brief list of significant books since 1988 in no particular order:

Preacher 1 + Sandman 1 - these two marked the beginning of landmark series and changed the perception of what a comic book could be.

Ultimate Spider-Man 1 - returned Marvel's most beloved character to the top of the charts when few thought it was possible

Daredevil v2 1 - brought a big-name talent from another entertainment field and showed even 2nd tier characters could be compelling (again)

Strangers in Paradise 1 - this series will be studied at universities around the country for years. Just try to find a 1st printing, and then try to convince the owner to part with it. I know three people willing to pay $500 for a 9.4, one of whom will happily pay $1,000.

JLA 1 - showed that DC team comics weren't dead, and that compelling stories could be written around the 'A' - list heroes

ASM 300 - introduced Spidey's coolest and most important villain since the Green Goblin

Witchblade 1 - showed that sexy women didn't have to be undead to be cool and launched a reasonably successful TV show

Johnny the Homicidal Maniac 1 - laugh if you like but this book is in its fifteenth printing and still sells better than most of DC's new releases

There's a short list. I am certain there are more... But each of these is likely to stand the test of time, unlike many issues that are hot today, gone tomorrow.

Darth, I don't disagree with any of your choices, although I think it is too early to tell on Hulk v2 34 and ASM v2 30. The beginning of a creator run is sometimes key (DD158) but not always (no one today cares about X-Men 248).

I intentionally started my list at 1988 so I wouldn't have to compare Miller and Moore's dominating works of 1979-1986.

And I actually agree with Cherry Poptart 1... but it was 1982 which is well before the other books on my list.

I was trying to shed some light on WHY recent books would likely be viewed as keys down the road, since price after release is not a terribly good indicator. (Green Arrow 1, Longshot 1, Ultimate X-Men 1, Harbinger 1, Spawn 1 were all expensive and none are key)

so Darth, you agree with this post 100%.. what about my response to ablue? tongue.giftongue.gif

THe only reason I included Hulk v2 34 and ASM v2 30, albeit, as minor keys only, is that if speculation holds true and the Ang Lee movie is loosely based on Bruce Jones' run, then I would consider them important issues for fans to regard as key. ASM 30 brings both JMS and JSC onto Spider-Man! Has possiblility of maintaining its importance in the whole scheme of things.

However, it is still too early to make that determination of whther these 2 books are true keys or not...Let's just say there is potential.

As for ablue, keep him in the golden age comics forum as he just talk all about restored comics. I've had my say on him and responded down the line. That's the most I've ever posted in Golden Age...let's not make that a habit, shall we...

Hello...this is my first post and Im new to this so go easy on me!

You know, Dungeon, I am widely considered to be THE source for insider comic book information on this message board. You are fortunate that I have chose to let you in on a little secret... don't worry, no one else can see this post. It is assigned specifically to your ISP/BIN/ASDF #.

Here's my HOT tip o' the week (the others will be SO jealous that I didn't share this with them first)...

You should buy up all the copies of GI Joe #104 that you can find. Or was it 110? I don't remember. It was the one with the S.A.W Viper and he perforates (with his machine gun, you bad boy!) a bunch of the Joes and they are forced to cower behind the bodies of their fallen comrades. It was gut-wrenching and disgusting and I loved it. "Oh my god, he popped caps on the Doc!!" one Joe is heard to yell during the blood-letting. Yes, you really should pick up a few copies of this issue. Someday when those fallen heroes get the honor they have earned, that book's value is going to skyrocket. Don't forget to pick up the issue after that, by the way, because the carnage continues. And it is hideous and glorious all at once.

QUICK-KICK!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just curious to know where the whole 80s GI Joe thing is headed....back to the dollar bins due to declining sales of the new series? or finally holding their value and being recognized as a good series that was one of the most popular titles of the 1980s. speculators.....run with it!