• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Why cant I find a high grade GI Joe 21??

191 posts in this topic

Yes - bring us back to the thread about sealing rat dung and curly pubes in the comic well for all posterity tongue.gif

Actually, that may play a factor, but whoever is in charge of encapsulating must have enough experience and dexterity to handle these graded books better than a MHC warehouse packer.

"Actually, that may play a factor, but whoever is in charge of encapsulating must have enough experience and dexterity to handle these graded books better than a MHC warehouse packer. "

yeah, you'd hope so, but the fact of the matter is the book has to go through the hands of three graders, then a slabber/ packer, who (presumably) are all human beings.

that being the case, accidents are bound to happen sometimes, and lets face it, we all know that the most microscopic damage can knock a book down from a 10.0, 9.9 to a 9.8 or shocked.gif even a 9.6.

So when these "Mishaps" occur, they wholeheartedly race to the phone to tell you what happened to your prized comic and will gladly pay you top dollar for their mistake. Right? .........cant contain laughter ......going to explode....

what top dollar are you expecting. you insured for market value so your GI Joe 21 would probably get on offer of nm OS giude for it or your fmv claim? They are not responsible for substituting themselves as the speculator market if a book is damaged. That's what insurance covers. And yes if the screw up, they will pay for the book and let you know. I sned in $2 books but if my USM 1 White was damaged I'd expect the fMV of which I insured for... $150

These instances would be too far and few in between. It potentially could happen, and potentially may not happen ever. This is not the klutz factory and these guys are not eating sandwiches and jelly doughnuts as they are grading our "treasures". give them some crddit for their professionality and assume instead that they may err, but when they do, it is the exception and not the rule, and that they are willing to compensate for that.

If it is a GI Joe 21 ungraded that befell some sort of accident, I would qualify that at the same level of resolution as if one of my regular Origin/Transformer modern books were damaged...wizard guide is what I'd expect if I paid the insurance for it. Not multiples of market value for compensation...

I have sold a USM 1 WHITE CGC 9.8 for $850 during movie hype time. But if I send in a USM 1 white now that gets damaged, I don't expect that, or the 600 it has been fetching currently. I insure the value of a NM USM 1 white on open market now...$200 and that is all I can hope for in return. To expect beyond that, like I said b4, substitute CGC in for your speculator market is wishful thinking. Whose to say that you would have gotten $800. Modern Market is finicky...and other than you and rickdogg going head to head, meaning GI Joe fanatics driving/propping up that auction, I don't see the silent issue in 9.8 going for more than a couple hundred ...

"give them some credit for their professionality and assume instead that they may err, but when they do, it is the exception and not the rule, and that they are willing to compensate for that."

i am not for one minute suggesting that this happens often, cgc do a great job and i'm sure will continue to live up to their own high standards.

all i am saying is that with the acceptable level of damage we are talking about here (9.8 up) that all someone has to do is breath on a book wrong and it can drop a grade.

this kind of incident may even go unoticed, and could explain the slight variations in 9.8 graded books that occur from time to time.

this kind of incident may even go unoticed, and could explain the slight variations in 9.8 graded books that occur from time to time.

I can accept that. That's why you send 10 similar pregraded (by you) books in for prescreen and get 8 back graded at 9.8...

Im just playin' Darth. If I didnt think they had the highest level of professionalism why would I send my comics to them?? Im a huge fan of CGC and I will continue to send my comics to them.

Oh come on, where's the fun of slabbing the books?

Can you enjoy GI Joe 21 without being able to see the artwork as Snake Eyes invades the castle and dispatches the ninjas, in what is easily one of the coolest stories in the early issues of Marvel's run?

...Says the coin guy tongue.gif

Keith - buy the Marvel TPB - you get the issue 21 and you can read it without worrying that you are eating a PB&J sandwich at the same time.

Apply your statement to coins. And btw, once slabbed doesn't mean it's always slabbed. If you buy a book for your collection that will never be resold, then break the book out of the slab carefully and read whenever you want.

Can you say the same about your $2K gem mint 10.0 state quarters? You break that out and put it back in your pocket change and your $2K "investment" ends up as 1/5 of your laundromat cycle... smile.gif